recievers AVR

Zappa Freak

How does a Onkyo TX-SR805 stack up against a Marantz ZR6001?

The Onkyo TX-SR805 is the way to go. At it's production time, it was Onkyo's upper mid level AVR that was over built like a flagship model. This thing tips the scale at over 50lbs and we all know where that weight is, power supply. The next generation model TX-SR806 lost about 10lbs, added some basic video upscaling, but still remained about the same price as the 805.

I am not saying the Marant ZR6001 is bad at all but I do know that the 805 will easily exceed it's mfr's specs and have no trouble driving many speakers out there. I would suggest getting a coolant fan to suck the hot air away from the Onkyo.

Bill

The Onkyo TX-SR805 is the way to go. At it's production time, it was Onkyo's upper mid level AVR that was over built like a flagship model. This thing tips the scale at over 50lbs and we all know where that weight is, power supply. The next generation model TX-SR806 lost about 10lbs, added some basic video upscaling, but still remained about the same price as the 805.

+1. The 805 was a beast. In addition to the considerable weight, Onkyo also cut Audyssey to regular MultEQ from XT, and from what I've read, popped in cheaper DACs as well. An 805 in good shape is a great find IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know how to hook up a rotel 1080 to the 805 front two speakers

All you need to do is run a pair of RCA cables fron the 805's front right-left preouts to the 1080's right-left inputs and then run speaker wire from the 1080's right-left speakers terminals to each of your main speakers.

would the 200 more watts be to much for the RF-3?

No unless you get stupid crazy with the volume. During most spirited listening sessions, your main speakers may be fed 50 watts but probably close to 25-30 watts on average. Possible peaks up to 85 watts for brief moments.

Bill

i agree with the rest. i owned the 805 and paired it with Emotiva LPA-1 and RF-7's. the only precausion i would say is, the 805 is a bit bright. with the 7's that really came through. during movies, couldn't really tell that. only during an audio demo could you pick up the brightness. i think for action movies, the brightness is a plus.

there is one other issue, but it has a work around. if you want to use the 12v trigger function, you lose your two rear channels, making your avr a 5.1 only. the work around is easy. purchase any Wall Wart and plug it into the back of your reciver. plug the other end into the 12v trigger and when the AVR turns on, it will turn on the trigger.

anyways, it should sound great with your gear. plus it has lots of features.

during movies, couldn't really tell that. only during an audio demo could you pick up the brightness. i think for action movies, the brightness is a plus.

Totally agree. I bought my Acurus amps for just that reason. The brightness(more detail) and low end punch they bring I like better than my B&K's for HT. Ther B&K's still have the Acurus in the midrange though, very hard top trump them there for music.

Bill

or 2 Stick out tongue Onkyo's have always run hot and the 805 can heat up a room if left on all the time, but I've never had a problem because of it on any of them that I've had.

I have never had a problem either, but for $22.00 I get a little piece of mind. According to Onkyo, their receivers are designed to operate a higher temps.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

Bill