Two SUB-12's installed but need help in setting these.

lardo

Hello all, I need your help in setting these two SUB-12's in order to obtain the best sound. Here is my setup:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6190B

Blu-Ray player: Panasonic DMP35

Front speaker: F3

Center Speaker: C3

Surround Speaker: S3

So, once I calibrated the sound with my receiver everything seems to be very good but I don't know if SUB-12 are properly set regarding phase setting (0 - 180); my goal is to obtain the best sound. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated regarding setting of these SUB's. I'm not an expert but I do have a good hearing. Also, I mostly used the system to watch movies, little of music. (80/20).

Thanks in advance...

You'll need an SPL meter and a disc or method to play sine waves (test tones). I'd be happy to help you via PM if necessary.

I don't possess this SPL tool mentioned but is it possible to get some sort of mp3 test files that I could play on my blu-ray player to reproduce these sine waves?

You'll need an SPL meter and a disc or method to play sine waves (test tones). I'd be happy to help you via PM if necessary.

I don't possess this SPL tool mentioned but is it possible to get some sort of mp3 test files that I could play on my blu-ray player to reproduce these sine waves?

Lardo,

I have a brand new in the box RS spl meter I could sell you for $25.00 shipped anywhere in continental US. Send me a PM if interested.

Bill

I was also trying to setup two subs this week. I had a spl meter and used REW for the tones. I played the crossover tone and checked the level on the SPL meter at 0 degrees and 180 degrees, did not see any difference on the SPL meter. Maybe it was bad placement?

I've read that that a very good position for two subs is 1/4 in from each of the front corners. Does anyone know how 1/4 in on the front wall and 1/4 in on opposite back wall would work.?

Does anyone know how 1/4 in on the front wall and 1/4 in on opposite back wall would work?

1) What is the front speaker-to-sub crossover frequency that you use?

2) What are the dimensions of your room (width, height, length)?

3) Are the subs of the same model number/same manufacturer (i.e. identical)?

Generally, if you cross low enough (below ~80 Hz), your room is something approaching a golden rectangle in shape (the floor plan dimensions and the height-width dimension), and you are using the same sub types in both corners, you probably will experience a slight broadening of the bass response across the room (which is good).

A much better place to put them is in the corners of the room. Make sure that you EQ them approximately flat again if you put them into the corners since they will be performing much better using the corner reflections to increase effective woofer areas.

If you had two more identical subs - you could use a "double bass array" and remove most of the interfering room modes in your room (see pg. 7 of the pdf file).

Chris

My room is 20x25 with 8-16 foot vaulted ceilings. The room has large three openings, a half wall and a large free standing brick fireplace. It's hard for the room to hold bass with all the openings.

Also this is a very hard room to setup a HT in due to wall space, furnitue, a patio door and WAF.

I have two Emotive ultra 12s. For the last year I've placed them where they just physically fit the best. Last weekend I move them around and found out they are capable of producing much more bass when place in different locations.

I thing I need todo the bass crawl and find out where the bass works the best and where I can actually place these subs. I think it's going to be a compromise between sound and WAF.

• Moderators

Correct, most rooms do not have a "flat frequency response". Due to room acoustics, some frequencies will be overly boosted and some will be cut drastically. I have not done this yet myself but I'm planning on looking at my UMC-1's EQ. I believe it has 10 bands that it can adjust. It would make sense for me to measure the db of those frequencies and try to adjust my EQ to get them all as close to 0 as possible to help tame the peaks and nulls to as close to a flat frrequency response as possible.

To those that have done this, is that a correct assumption of how this should be done?

Yes, you want to bring the peaks down for a flatter response. Doing this will also give your amp a little more headroom. Generally speaking, you don't want to boost a dip. It will eat up amp headroom and normally you don't get an increase at that frequency due to the fact that it was most likely caused by cancellation due to the size and shape of the room. The only way to fix a dip or null is with bass traps in the corners.

• Moderators

Generally speaking, you don't want to boost a dip. It will eat up amp headroom and normally you don't get an increase at that frequency due to the fact that it was most likely caused by cancellation due to the size and shape of the room. The only way to fix a dip or null is with bass traps in the corners.

Cool info. Thanks. Didn't know that.