New HT amp/pre amp recomendations?

silverdot1211

I have been given $1300 to do as I please and I have been looking at an Emotiva XPA-5 with with an onkyo tx-nr709. My setup consists of a HK AVR-525, Rf-52, Rc-52, icon vs-14, ss.5, and an Rw-10d. My main couple of questions are one, is the xpa to much amp and not practical considering how efficiant the speakers are. Two, is their another alternative people reconmend for an amp/pre-amp?

I have a similar setup. I so far have loved all my onkyo's (3). I have the XPA-5 and the rf7ii's. With the rf52's I can safely say you don't need the XPA-5. If you have to have external amplification then I would get an XPA-3, upa-3, or even upa-2. If your avr is good enough you won't need the 5 channels at 200 watts. Are you doing 5 or 7 channel ? If I were you I would get the onkyo tx nr 3008. It's beastly and has all the power your speakers can handle. I had the 3007 and was super happy. Then if you really wanted an amp you could get a upa-2 for your fronts and still be under budget.

I think the XPA-5 is a great choice... you'll have all the headroom you'll ever need and if or when you upgrade your speakers you'll have pleanty of amp already. As for the pre-pro choice, I have no experience with the Onkyo but the UMC-1 is awesome for only $499 right now and Dan just posted on the Emotiva forum that the new firmware update is amazing and that they have a big surprise in store for UMC owners next week. The Onkyo can be found at Amazon right now for $548 so they are very close in price. Research them both and run with the one that sounds better to you!

I have been looking at the UMC-1 since it came out. how ever the posts I have read are pretty much 50-50 some really like it others dont....I would really like to get some emo gear but I like the outlaw 7075 for the 7 ch's and I think 75 watts should be enough for my needs and what keeps me away is i dont know a single thing about outlaw and my time frame for spending the money ends monday (cyber monday lol) its an early b-day christmas gift

with your setup, you definitly do not need the xpa-5. The xpa-5 also has a noise floor that is a bit louder and isnt worth it unless you have some bigger more brawny speakers. The noise floor has been something that has bothered me in the past and is something i am furthering ironing out of my system to ensure that it is indeed the amp that is just loud. The xpa-5 is a true performer though, i cant complain about it otherwise, it really drives everything i have to ear splitting levels and i still cant make it run out of gas without going deaf.

That UPA-7 is a great option, if you want to buy new though and dont need 7 channels, emotiva should be coming out with new UPA amps soonish if you wanted to wait. The UPA line also has a lower noise floor making them a quieter amp.

amp alternatives:
NAD T-955 5 X 100 watts
Outlaw Audio 7125 7 X 125 watts and Marantz SR5005 Receiver get them bundled together for $1,299 w/ free ground shipping

i think the outlaw audio deal is smokin and they are a great company, everything is designed and manufactured in the USA too! With that 7 channel amp, you could actually bi-amp your rf-52's just for the hell of it if you are only running a 5.1. This would be my choice for your setup. That marantz is a good choice too, great company.

• Moderators

The Emotiva UMC-1 is the only Pre/Pro I have ever owned so I can't make any recommendations regarding the Onkyo. IMO, the Onkyo AVR's are fantastic for HT and ok for 2ch listening. I would guess the pre/pro would be similar but cannot say with certainty.

I usually try to future proof my purchases. In that regard I can see the XPA-5 being an option. But honestly the rf52ii's just don't need all that power. The upa is a far better choice for u. If you went with a upa-2 then if you ever decided to go bigger upfront then you could just add an XPA-5 and use the 2 for rear surrounds. Or if you stay 5.1 then add an xpa3. Either way you'll have way more power available than u can use with your current speakers.

marantz is just a very good brand, i have heard it over and over again. I have always known them as being high end and thought that this was a really good deal. You know me, sub gets good deals and almost never over pays if he can help it. This model is a little older, a new model has replaced it...but...this model should do everything i need, it can decode DTS master, has preamp out, has HDMI and optical and has biamp capability. I know its 100 watts a channel but i am driving wf's, nothing power hungry...not to mention this was an $800 unit. Marantz also has clean power. I am looking into a fan system to help keep the unit extra cool to help with unit longevity. Depending on how thing go in the future, i wanted to be able to toy with external amps both new or used. My goal is to have money always et aside for home theater stuff, i just love the hobby. I know i could had denon, onkyo or HK but i know that marantz is as good or better than them. I would kill for the rotel avr but i cant justify 2k on that nore do i have 2k. outlaw has had the receiver on sale for a while, i will post a review when eveything has been setup.

not to hijack the thread but "noise floor"? I'm looking at getting an amp for my RF-7 II's. I'm curious what that means. The amp adds a hum to quiet scenes or something?

Some amps/preamps have a high voltage gain which can emit a hiss or hum through high sensitive speakers like the RF-7II. Most of the time it can be masked when the volume is turned up a bit. My NAD T773 receiver exibits this some but I can easily tune it out. My Acurus amps are dead quiet so they help tone the hiss/hum down.

Bill