Receiver Recommendation

rotharmy

I bought these speakers during the Black Friday sales.

Klipsch RF-82 II Floorstanding Speaker (black-pair)
Klipsch RS-52II Surround Speaker (pair) (Black )
Klipsch RC-62II Center Speaker (black-each)
Sub- Klipsch RW-12D R

I plan on listening to music 30% of the time and watching movies the other 70%.
I need a receiver that

1. Has wi-fi for streaming Pandora/internet radio
2. 3d- to match my TV
Here is the TV I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D7...2258451&sr=8-1
Samsung UN55D7000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV
3. Is under 1500 dollars.
4. Is powerful enough to power my speakers.
5. Is somewhat simple to operate. The wife will be using the TV/stereo!

I was looking at these 2 models
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115277
YAMAHA RX-A3000
It's on sale

or this model from Onkyo
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809.../dp/B00505F01E

But I am open to anything.
I would like to rely on you fine gentlemen to recommend a great receiver that matches these requirements.

Wow dude, you've been busy! Very nice setup. We just bought that same TV for my dad and mom. They are very pleased, as they had a 50" plasma before. I clicked on that Yamaha link, and the price came up $1,699. Is that a sale price, or was it perhaps a weekend sale? In which case, Saturday it will go right back on sale. I have never owned a Yamaha receiver, but I've had tons of Onkyo equipment. I buy Onkyo because I am familiar with the setups and controls. I would buy a Yamaha, but then I'd have to open the manual. [:)]

I would not have that Yamaha if it was $100 except maybe to hope I could sell it .Of those Onkyo easy and I'm no big fan but my 608 stomped the a1000 into the mud.Yamaha has a good line of BS,too bad that's all it is.I try one every few years thinking maybe they finally got it, not yet, and the set up, insane.

I would not have that Yamaha if it was $100 except maybe to hope I could sell it .Of those Onkyo easy and I'm no big fan but my 608 stomped the a1000 into the mud.Yamaha has a good line of BS,too bad that's all it is.I try one every few years thinking maybe they finally got it, not yet, and the set up, insane.

I like the Onkyo's as well,. I very much respect Fish's opinion, but not everyone feels that way about Yamaha.

Wow dude, you've been busy! Very nice setup. We just bought that same TV for my dad and mom. They are very pleased, as they had a 50" plasma before. I clicked on that Yamaha link, and the price came up $1,699. Is that a sale price, or was it perhaps a weekend sale? In which case, Saturday it will go right back on sale. I have never owned a Yamaha receiver, but I've had tons of Onkyo equipment. I buy Onkyo because I am familiar with the setups and controls. I would buy a Yamaha, but then I'd have to open the manual. Smile

The Yamaha is 899 most places.

My budget is 1500 dollars or so.

I like the IPOD and WIFI capabilities of the Onkyo, but I have never owned one or had one. I read about some reliability issues people have been having with Onkyo.

What do you recommend? Besides the non-recommendation of the Yamaha

What do you recommend? Besides the non-recommendation of the Yamaha

LOL, Sorry ,but that company grinds my gears.You may notice I have a Yamaha 1065 and it sounds way better than the Aventage, not great but good, I got it for cheap at BB clearance.Really an Onkyo would be a good choice if you mostly use it for HT.The Onkyos are about as reliable as any other, again, I'm no big fan but they are the bang for the buck leader.I used to recommend Marantz cause I've owned several over the years but I bought a 6005 and it was terrible with music.I hooked my old HK 354 back up and it was great, I was just wanting networking etc...

The best honest advise I can give is to buy several units and try them out in your house, that's what I do.It may be a hassle but I like knowing the real differences in my rooms, good luck.

I don't care for the 809. It's in a bad spot in-between the 709 and 3009 which I would much rather have. The 709 has everything I need in an avr at a lower price point. The 3009 has everything I "want" in an avr like multieqxt32 and of course 2 outputs and more power. I suggest the 3008 from accessories for less. Or the 708 from acccesories4less. 1 is an awesome deal (708) and the 3007 is basically all I want in an avr for s good price.

To piggy-back on Fish, receiver's change year to year. I may have great experience with one paticular brand or model line in 2007 and continue to recommend that receiver over and over where as it is possible that the manufacturer made a significant change to that product in 2010 and it no longer holds up. Similarly, I may hear one entry level receiver in a poorly set-up system and tell everyone I know to stay away from that brand all together in spite of the fact that the higher end models might have greatly superior SQ.

The bottom line is that there are many great brands and models out there that offer various features that might work best for you. Things like source material, speakers, listening preference, and room accoustics will affect the ultimate sound and only YOU can determine what will work best. I like my Onkyo 708 for my HT. It provides all of the features I wanted for it's given purpose, it's easy to set-up and use, and it is a price leader in it's class. I also like my Yamaha RX-V1500 for what it does - Provides a high quality sound to my low-efficiency casual system living room speakers.

Since you are considering an Onkyo TX-nr809, what I can say is that it should have great features for HT use and should be suitable for music. The addition of an amp for your front three speakers would likely yield very good results and it's price should help with the affordability on that. I have very little experience with the Yamaha Aventis, but I did recently listen to the A810 (hooked up to Paradigm flat-pannel 5.1 speakers) at an electronics shop and it sounded good enough to me that I would indeed consider it as a possible purchase. Two regular compaints about the Yammy are the difficult to use remote and menu functions and the inferiority of YPAO calibration versus Audyssey.

I forgot to mention that you can always pick up an apple tv for $100. That opens your options up for avr choices. See iPod connectability was not prevalent in last years models like it is this year. It gives you great iPod connectability and more that way your not limited to this years avrs and can save alot of money by going for a year old model.

with that budget go seperates. I would not get 08 models. They had a glitch which alot of people were sending their units in for repair. Huge thread over at AVS.

Good point. Emotiva processor/amplifier 5 channel would be just under $1300. I've never had Emotiva equipment but there are tons of people here who use it.

with that budget go seperates. I would not get 08 models. They had a glitch which alot of people were sending their units in for repair. Huge thread over at AVS.

Good point. Emotiva processor/amplifier 5 channel would be just under $1300. I've never had Emotiva equipment but there are tons of people here who use it.

Yup the x08 models had many issues. Speaking of long threads filled with equipment issues..... Umc1

• Moderators

Speaking of long threads filled with equipment issues..... Umc1

I've had mine now for a few months. Other than two minor bugs, it has been working great with no glitches or any of the major issues some have had with it in the past. FWIW, they just released a new firmware today that was a complete code rewrite that is supposed to fix most if not all of the remaining issues with the UMC-1.

• Moderators

I'm gonna hold off and let the others be the beta testers on that one. LOL They say it can be a royal pain just to update the firmware due to computer incompatibility issues. Mine is not "broke" so I'm not in a hurry to "fix" it.

I am thinking about going with this (Based on a few recommendations here

MARANTZ SR6006 Home theater receiver 3D-ready HDMI switching Apple Air Play

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR6006-AV-Receiver/dp/B0054U39QS

I don't want to try to go separates right now. I want to get the speakers into my house and hook everything up to see how everything comes together...

I am thinking about going with this (Based on a few recommendations here

MARANTZ SR6006 Home theater receiver 3D-ready HDMI switching Apple Air Play

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR6006-AV-Receiver/dp/B0054U39QS

I don't want to try to go separates right now. I want to get the speakers into my house and hook everything up to see how everything comes together...

Pick up a clearance Pioneer SC-35. I have a biased opinion but I have owned allot of different receivers over the last 5 years from all the major companies. The SC-35 will stay with me for a while..... You could spend $800 on the Pioneer and pick up another matching sub and still have tons of money left over. That Marantz only weighs 30 lbs and that is the shipping weight, seems very light to me.