What's a RF-5 worth?

johnnydrama

i honestly dont remember what the re-release sold for per pair

$1500 a pair I believe, direct from Klipsch only as AFAIK.

Yes that is what I remember as well.

I bought my original RF-5's new back around 2001, they were selling for $1,500 a pair then if I remember right as well.

Excellent speakers, I love their sound, if someone offered me $1,000 for mine I'd turn it down I have no interest in selling them.

The lowest I've seen on Craigslist around here was 300 a pair...not mint, but not bad either. I would have snatched them up if I had a place to use them. If only I had room for wides! [:'(]

I've seen these and the RF 35's go for 300-500 on quite a few occasions and when you consider that RB 5's and 81's go for that on a regular basis I would say that any nice pair in that range are a great deal.

I have a pair of RF-5s that I bought back when Tweeter were blowing out Klipsch speakers that one year. I paid $900 for a brand-new pair at the time (2002 or '03?). I still have them and use them as side surrounds with my 6.1 RF-7 rig. They are really nice speakers. The problem with the RF-5s was they kinda the bastard child of the early 2000 era Reference line. Most folks went with the RF-3s thinking that the price premium to the extra little bit of performance was not worth it to get the RF-5s, and then if somebody did want to upgrade, they were going to go right for the RF-7s.

Still, I would think the $500-$700 range would probably be what a good pair would be worth today. If they are talking the newer, re-released versions, it would probably be $800 to $900 (at least that would be the most I'd pay). As was noted, RF-7s from the same era typically would be around $800 to $900 a pair as well. Now, the RF-7 II are a different story. I would be hard pressed to find a pair for less than $2000 on the second-hand market, if you can even find them.

However, the RF-5s are smaller than the RF-7s as well, so they will probably be easier to fit in many rooms:

rf5-rf7.jpg