La Scala's for me ?

cyto

I seen a pair of 70s era La Scalas on Craigslist for $600, near where we live. I was thinking of moving the 2 channel system to a larger room (so larger speakers, right!) I have a couple of questions:

I this a good price for La Scalas?

Do La Scalas have to placed in corners?

Would they be a good match for my 2 channel set up (see signature) ?

What could I get for my KG4s that have Crites titanium diaphrams and Sonicaps?

Thanks

David

Yes

No

I would think so. La Scalas and tube amps are generally a good combination

I can't answer this for you. I'm not up on KG series pricing. Take a look at eBay and see if any have sold recently and what they went for.

I think La Scalas would sound great with your Yaqin amp. I have mine paired with a little 10 watt Sophia baby and the sound is excellent and I would expect the same with your Yaqin. La Scalas are fantastic sounding speakers, but as I am sure you know they have one big character flaw, no low bass below 50-60hz.. This is made worse if they are not put into a corner. What bass you do get with them is big and full, but because of the cabinet size it just doesn't get down there like k-horns. The cure is obviously a good subwoofer. As to the price, $600 seems good to me depending on condition. I paid $700 for mine and thought I got a deal, but they are in excellent condition with full grills. The difference between them and your KG4s is huge, and even if I had to wait for a sub I would get them. I replaced a pair of Fortes with my La Scalas and it was 6 or more months before I made my tuba sub. Although there was less bass the quality difference more than made up for it.

Depending on condition yes, I paid $400 for mine but they saw a fairly hard life cosmetically.

No, but you'll get more bass if you do.

Yeah seems like it would play well with tubes, I enjoyed tube's on mine before going to Jubscalas

Mod's generally will not net you much if you have the stock items I'd replace them and sell the mod's seperately for the most bucks. I've seen stock KG4's go for around $150-300 depending on condition etc on craigslist at least where I live, Michigan.

David,

I would get them, for sure. They take up more room, but they're all horns, so the efficiency if way up there. A small amp can make wonderful music with them.

They don't have to be in corners, but you will lose some more bass with them. You may notice the balance tilted toward the mids and treble compared to your KG4s. You can use the autoformer to drop the mids back down (I dropped mine a good 3db IIRC), which will make the bass seem to magically appear more full.

Bruce

I wouldn't wast much time at that price. If they are aesthetically anything better than beaters, then the price will move them fast. Buy them now and decide if you want them later. :)

+1.gif

At that price, if they are in decent shape.............GO BUY THEM! You can thank us later! [;)]

Remember, you'll need to update the crossovers. But don't let that slow you down. There is nothing like the sound of Fully Horn Loaded Speakers! Nothing! You'll be glad you did!

Keep us posted David,

Dennie