Golden Jubilees - I Have Finally "Heard It"

You will notice that my post count is not high as I only post when I think something needs to be said, rather than posting constantly with nothing to say.

This post will need a little qualification before I go any further. The purpose is to give some information, explain a couple of things and most of all, put a stop to the "Pack Like" mentality that flows through this board. I can not begin to tell you about the countless post that I have read by people that don't have a clue of what they are talking about or just inherent slamming another because they feel protected by sitting in front of a computer. One person will make a post and the 'others' will jump in like a feeding frenzy. Before you slam someone, you best know them and what they are about! People, get off your respective A$$'s and go do something productive in life rather than waste the day responding countless times about drivel. There are a few on here that need to do a reality check before they hit send on the keyboard. I certainly do not need to pick out individuals as you show your own ignorance every time you post. It IS that obvious. Enough of my rant, and feel free to close this or continue, but think about what you are saying before you type.

I had the opportunity to listen to the finest two channel system, yesterday that I have ever heard in my life. Yes, I purchased Mike's Golden Jubilee's and other items that he had listed and they now reside in a sound room in Charlotte, NC. As some of you know, I have a background in Music, sound systems, production and most of all, my career has allowed me access "Back Stage" to just about every live performance that you can imagine. I was Director of Engineering for one of the largest and most modern Coliseum, Auditorium, Convention Center complexes in the nation, for ten years. I am an Electrical/Mechanical Engineer, a card carrying member of IATSE and am a Certified Master Rigger. Yes, I have truly "Heard and seen it ALL". I don't tell you this to blow my own horn; I want you to know that I at least know what "Live" music is supposed to sound like. For me, Maynard Ferguson is a very good test of mid and high frequencies. I have had the pleasure of meeting him, and he can play some of the sweetest notes that you have ever heard or make the most horrible sound that has ever come through a piece of brass! I sat there in Mike's "Sweet Spot", hearing him play live and yesterday, I felt he was in the room with me again! I have said this before, when I close my eyes and the performers merge into my room making me think they are standing in front of me, that is the best sound I can imagine. We listened to varied music through the Golden Jubes, with Martinelli horns in a two way set up. Best system I have ever heard, bar none, and I have heard a few! In my personal opinion, there is NO amount of money that could buy what I heard yesterday. I was that taken by the experience. Music is a very emotional state and I was actually moved to tears by what I heard yesterday; how do you put any kind of price on that? I am as excited to get these set up, as anything that I have ever done in my life and that is saying a lot.

I spent the past week emailing back and forth with Mike and spent the afternoon with him and Maureen, at Mike's home, yesterday. Maureen is the Co-Author of Paul's book, for those that do not know. For all of the naysayers, Mike is just very passionate about sound and is very expressive with his feelings. I have that same passion; I'm just not as expressive as he is. I'm not going to sit here and say that he is right about everything sound related, but he does have a voice in the industry and he knows his stuff when it comes to Paul and Klipsch. I consider him a friend, and I am not going to sit here and listen to any more crap from people that do not know him. There are a few on this forum that do know him, but I truly doubt the people that have called him "Nut's", have ever met him.

If you guys have any interest I will post pictures, here in this thread, about the trip, the speakers and try to answer any questions that may arise. I do know that there is a lot of interest in these speakers and the set up, as a two way system, so I will try to share all that I can. I am the proud owner of some very nice equipment and have found the "Tops" for the Jub-Like Drone build experiment, it should be an interesting ride........Also, for the naysayer, these are the genuine item, well documented, built by a craftsman, not something thrown together by an amateur. A visual inspection of these speakers would provide proof that they are made by someone that knows what he was doing with wood. I inspected both and I can say that they are much better than something I could produce, as I could not find a flaw and I have a pretty critical eye. There have been quite a few threads as to the quality of some Jubes that have comne from the factory so who/where they were built is pretty much a moot issue. Bottom line, they were Authorized by Klipsch and Associates, period. If there is any doubt that these are NOT one of the sets of speakers that were commissioned by Mrs. Valerie Klipsch, feel free to email or PM me. I do not plan to discuss or justify their authenticity in this thread as my word on the matter should be sufficient. I have tried to, not make to many "Foolish" decisions in my life and this purchase has to be right up there with one of the best decisions I have made! I feel fortunate to have met Mike and Maureen and consider both of them my friends. Mike and I also share a passion for motorcycles and this trip he has planned is awesome. It is very understandable, after discussing this with him, as to why he is doing it.

This post was more for asking the membership to be a little more kind in their postings, rather than continually slamming individuals and ideas. If I have alienated some, so be it, but I felt this was something that needed to be said. If you want to know more, please ask, if not this thread will die with many others.

Thank you all for taking the time to read,

W. C.

Thanks for the congrat's.....I truly feel in AWE of these speakers not something that comes very easy for me. I am still worn out from the trip and have a bunch of unpacking to do but I will try to post later with some pictures. I truly wish that everyone on this forum could have heard what I did yesterday as I still can not believe that they did to me what they did. I actually thought my system was good and it is, but by comparison it ain't THAT good! I really wish I could find the words to describe what I experienced. I am not a Spiritual person but I can honestly say this moved me.

Go figure, you spend all of your life looking for something and you find it in the strangest places, when least expected.

More to come.....W, C.

It is Christmas early for you! I believe your money was well spent.

I am sure (I hope) you will be posting pictures once you get them all set up. What you experienced in Mike's sweet spot makes me envious. If you wish to name me in your will, I can pm you with the particulars.

Make it a good day,

Craig

We should be out unpacking but I have not been up very long at all, we got in around 2:00 AM, in bed by 3:30 and still exhausted. I am trying to digest all of this with a cup of coffee....

Moray, the sound that I heard in two way has a lot to do with the Martinelle horns and the crossovers. I can not go into a lot of detail until we get them hooked up but this has convinced me that two way passives are the way these should be heard. Can't wait to get Dave's Eliptracs hooked up to see what the difference is. I had ordered a set from him for the Jub-Like Drone build so having two sets of them with different drivers will give me a lot of flexability.

More to come.........

I don’t know Mike or Paul or Maureen. Thanks for posting

your impressions. Yes, I look forward to the pictures of your new set-up. I

heard some awesome systems in my time. I am still impressed with the musicality

of tubes and Big Ole Horns.

Really, congrats on the purchase...

You certainly got a special system with a lot of extras. Will this slow you down on your 'drone' build and testing? My LaScalas were such a jump in quality for me that all I wanted to do for a long time was LISTEN to MUSIC. Once you get these set up in your own home, we may not hear from you for months.

I thinks it's wonderful that someone on the forums was able to purchase these.

Bruce

Thaks for your comments. I have worked on Forte and Forte ll and on KLF 20 and while I do like these three way speakers I cannot help but believe that a two way with about the same crossover point should sound better and oughr to intigrate sooner allowing one to sit closer. I bought the parts for a set of CF3`s but have not yet been able to build new cabinets for them. I fully expect them to become my new favorites. I look forward to your impressions on the Eliptracts when you get them set up. Best regards Moray James.

Bruce and Everyone,

The Jub-Like drone build is still and will remain the priority and will not be shelved because of the recent acquisition. One of the good things is these Golden Jubilees just open up many moor doors as to the quality of the speakers that i am building. It certainly will give me comparitive value and the two sets of Top Horns and the two way passives should add an interesting element to the testing of the cabinets. I wish that MY wood working skills were up to the level of quality that i have found in the Goldens. I do not know Mike Faulkner personally, but i can certainly attest to his skills. i said earlier that I am very critical in looking for flaws and I have gazed at these cabinets for hours....I have not found anything that would lead me to believe that Mr. Faulkner was a wood butcher. If the factory has quality control of this level, more power to them, as these were built by someone that has mastered his wood working skills.

I kind of find myself in a dileimma; My present listening/HT room is 40' x 18, with a false corner built at 32 feet for speaker spacing, on the "Long" wall. The added 7.7 feet compromise an area where I work on electronics with a fold down table and the soldering station. The ceiling runs from 9' 6" to 12 feet, stepped twice with an acoustical ceiling. In addition, I have a room on the back of my shop that is unfinished and is 24' x 32' and I have the option of finishing this as a listening room. The ceiling here also slopes from 8' 6" to 11 feet with one break with different angles. Also the "New" building is under roof and closed in and the floor space is open, so i have a chance to actually construct a large "Sound" room from scratch. Everything is on a slab on grade

We (me and the dogs) have never figured that we would be presented with so many options, so I am open to any and all suggestions. I certainly would like to come up with something that would be sound friendly to all that enter and would love to share this listening experience. I can only tell you that for the third time (my retirement), I have many options in front of me and I am looking to every day, as forward progress in being able to do something that I enjoy. It is a wonderful dilemma to be in, for a change....!

More tomorrow,

W. C.

I'm very happy for you W. C. on finding something that makes you so happy.[Y]

(This post was more for asking the membership to be a little more kind in their postings, rather than continually slamming individuals and ideas. If I have alienated some, so be it, but I felt this was something that needed to be said. If you want to know more, please ask, if not this thread will die with many others.)

Please count me in as one who wants to know more as you get time to post.

mike tn

If the factory has quality control of this level, more power to them

I believe the factory uses a CNC to cut/route channels (dado's? Rabbits?) into the panels so they have inter-locking and stronger joints. They are not butt joints.

I suspect any blemishes found on the factory units (more likely the black/industrial ones) are merely because they are perhaps not handled with the same kid gloves that the Khorn assembly line might be handled with. After all, if something is designed to be in the living room and something else is being built to be put in a cinema behind a screen.... it's easy to see how the cinema unit might not get the same treatment.

It would be intersting to look at a factory unit with the pretty front panels and see how they compare. Mine came in 99% flawless.... I did have a (very) small ding on a corner edge. Happen at the factory? Shipping? Me carrying them in? no idea.

I think these are a really cool pair if for no other reason, than the history behind them.

Mike,

For me, what I heard yesterday was SO profound that I wish everyone could experience it. I am sure, for the most part that everyone that post on this and other Forums are truly interested in the reproduction of sound, some are just a bit quick on the 'Trigger" in chalking something of as [bs]

Certainly you and everyone else that is interested will get their FILL of my enthuasium. Man, if I could package this we would all be rich....! It was great for me but YMMV so please understand that this is from an OLD Audiohaulic that has truly experienced something that is moving. That is really all I can say at this time.

W. C.

Here are two pair of WE 300B's for the Quicksilvers

Did you already have some Quicksilvers or was this a part of the package you picked up?

I could be quite envious... [;)]

I am hoping this thread stays very much alive, as I believe there is a LOT of interest in the bass cabs and the different horns.

Bruce

Bruce,

The 300B Mono Blocs were part of the deal. I am building a WAD 300B PP of which is about 90% complete. I am looking forward to comparing the sound of the two different tube amps.

So much to do....So little time.....!

I agree with you, these speakers will make for interesting conversation and I hope that everyone will have a continued interested. I feel that I am just the Caretaker of these speakers. Trust me, every time they are moved there is more care given than would be expected in moving a crate of eggs. Sorry, that was the only thing I could come up at the time....! It is really going to take me some time to come down from the excitement of owning these.

W. C.

For me, what I heard yesterday was SO profound that I wish everyone could experience it.

Yes, I've had some of those audio moments...[:D]

Please all..... lets not get into some debate about the build of these versus the factory...I'm sure they are built to a very high standard knowing how Valerie felt about PWKs last design and just respect what all involved were trying to do to honor PWK.

mike tn