Stay with Integra dtr7.9 or go with separates for RF7/RS7/RC7 setup

jordan122345

So I have a Onkyo Integra DTR7.9 for now.And I have am running RF7's,RC7,RS7's,and 2 RW-12D's.Here in a month or possibly sooner I will be sending the crossovers to have the Dean G mod.So the question is with my current receiver is there any real benefit to either going with a better amp or even separates maybe.I see alot of people on here are using Emotiva,Outlaw,Marantz Monoblocks.Also any reccomendations on some good speaker wire for a decent price.Thanks as always

• Moderators

Also any reccomendations on some good speaker wire for a decent price.

You really should get these speaker cables for $6995 a pair. They are "transparent" and have "MM" Technology. That has to be good right? [:^)]

$%28KGrHqYOKpcE5k09ncR4BOhPpYY3,g~~60_12

In all seriousness, I buy my wire from Monoprice - Link IMO, wire is wire and copper is copper, no matter how you twist it, french braid it or shield it.

I used Monoprice 12 guage speaker cable and I am perfectly happy with it.

Should you buy a seperate amplifier? Do you feel like you are limited by your 7.9? I have a 7.8 and RF-82 IIs and I love the sound. There is no real strain on the receiver. Having said that, I switched from a DTR-6.5 (100 wpc) to the DTR-7.8 (130 wpc) and I noticed a HUGE improvement. The bass was more defined and the top end seemed more controlled. I am now contemplating a 5 channel amp to possibly realize another large improvement in sound/control. What is your budget?

I would like to stay around $1200ish if possible for the amp and processor.I was looking at the Emotiva XPA-5 and the UMC-1 potentially.I am happy with the sound for now.Just the more I read that with the RF7's and the RC7 they need more power or NO.Looks like there are some other good ones too like parasound,marantz,outlaw.

Also any reccomendations on some good speaker wire for a decent price.

You really should get these speaker cables for $6995 a pair. They are "transparent" and have "MM" Technology. That has to be good right? Huh?

$%28KGrHqYOKpcE5k09ncR4BOhPpYY3,g~~60_12

In all seriousness, I buy my wire from Monoprice - Link IMO, wire is wire and copper is copper, no matter how you twist it, french braid it or shield it.

OMG! I bought a set of those. When I plugged them in I saw Jesus!

I would stick with the Integra DTR-7.9 for now and just add an amp. Listen to it, tweek it, enjoy it, give it some time and then decide if you "need" to go to a pre/pro.

Here is an option for an amp:

This one has tons of woofer thumping power with great detail in the highs. I have it's 2-channel brother(A250) driving my RF-63's like no other amp has done before. This is an excellent price. Said to have been benched tested by Audio Magazine at 315w/ch@8ohms and 515w/ch@4ohms.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1328942498&/Acurus-200-x3-power-amplifier-

Bill

i like my outlaw 7125 so far over my xpa-5. It may have less power although the xpa-5 is rated at 1kz and the outlaw is rated full range and the outlaw has a smoother sound. I would just add an amp in your situation. If the upgrade bug bites, the UMC-1 is a good pre/pro to have despite its flaws, they are still ironing them out and i think one day it will be problemless ( i hope )

I would stick with the Integra DTR-7.9 for now and just add an amp. Listen to it, tweek it, enjoy it, give it some time and then decide if you "need" to go to a pre/pro.

Here is an option for an amp:

This one has tons of woofer thumping power with great detail in the highs. I have it's 2-channel brother(A250) driving my RF-63's like no other amp has done before. This is an excellent price. Said to have been benched tested by Audio Magazine at 315w/ch@8ohms and 515w/ch@4ohms.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1328942498&/Acurus-200-x3-power-amplifier-

Bill

That works I think it sounds good now so I am great with keeping the integra.I just kept reading that you almost have to have separate amps.SO then I had that stuck in my head.So that works I am just gonna keep it and enjoy it.

So what would be a good side surround to go with the RF7's,RC7, and RS7's.

I just kept reading that you almost have to have separate amps.

Not the rule at all but for better 2-channel seperation under most conditions, a stereo amp usually will give you more potential for better sound quality. If it were me, I would get a 3-channel amp and run your front soundstage with it. I am serious, that Acurus is a thumper with plenty of clean(low noise floor) power.

So what would be a good side surround to go with the RF7's,RC7, and RS7's.

You already have side surrounds with your RS-7's, look for RB-5's as rear surrounds if you must have 7.1.

Bill

That was actually my next question on whether I should use the RS7's as side surrounds and then get some rear surrounds.I actually was looking last night for some RB5's and found a bunch on criagslist but none that were willing to ship them.Any other suggestions other than RB5's or is that the best match for my system.

Any other suggestions other than RB5's or is that the best match for my system.

As great sounding as RB-5's are, they may not be your best choice for rear surrounds if you are going to wall mount. They are rear ported and may be not be condusive for wall mounting. I think any of the Reference bookshelves from the RB-61 on up(RB-61, RB-81, RB-25, RB-35, etc.) would be a good choice with your system. Even another pair of RS-7's would work just fine. RB-75's if you can find them for a good price, good luck with that.

Bill