To Jub or not to Jub

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Crown XTI 1000 only does 2 way, i dont think it can do three way can it?

It's a stereo amp so in that context, yes.... 2-way. I would think though if you had a 3-way speaker and a crossover between the midrange and tweeter, you could effectively have a biamped 3-way speaker using the Xti to cross between the woofer and the top two horns with the passive finishing off the business to the tweeter.

I did something similar once with the Jubilee's and a Heresy. I set the Heresy on top of the Jubilee bass bin, went to the Dx and crossed it at 80hz. So from 80hz on down, went to the bass bin and from 80hz on up went to the passive in the Heresy, splitting up that part between the three Heresy drivers.

Worked (and sounded) like a charm.

Wish i had room for MWM...

Few people do have that kind of room and are willing to put MWMs in their listening room to take that space. However if your WAF is basically non-existent or your room was huge in all three dimensions, I'd recommend considering them.

Also note that the Jubilee (KPT-KHJ-LF) bass bin has a lower cutoff frequency than the MWM bin. IMO-this isn't trivial.

Chris

If someone is suggesting using both a DX 30 for LF/HF then further splitting one portion with the Xti amps, You would never want to introduce multiple digital processors in this way without more compensation for lags in the A/D/A processing. Doc can add to or correct this, but normal electronics are faster than digital processing, there is always some lag time or latency. In pro use we figure about 3 ms which is nice because it pulls the PA 'back' to the point where the kick drum head is! In a home environment if you crossed in a DX38 and then part of that signal hit a Xti, the later would have to be delayed a bit to time align. Have no idea what this might do to phase response but it'd be interesting to measure.

Keep it simple - one loudspeaker processor per system please. But you can add a passive without difficulty.

Also note that the Jubilee (KPT-KHJ-LF) bass bin has a lower cutoff frequency than the MWM bin. IMO-this isn't trivial.

the real winner is the 415-quad which comes in at -10db at 26hz. next runner up is the 904-lh which comes in at -10db at 32hz, third runner up is the jubilee which comes in at -10db at 34hz, followed by the mwm which comes in at -10db at 35hz.

mwm's really are not very deep performers, they are just loud ones. mwm's are all about the stick shift game...my stick shift is bigger than your stick shift...bigger is better is deeply wired into our brains..

In a Jub vs. MWM shoot out which I heard at my house and at one other place..........the Jub definitely plays lower. That's clear and easy to hear. However, there is a quality of sound that the MWM has (maybe due to it's simple and less folding), that is extremly pleasing. Some preferred the sound of the MWM. It is a bigger sound. When the MWM is coupled with the right sub, the Jub sounds like the smaller speaker..

Personally, owning the MCM-3 Grand with 684 subs pretty much seals the deal for me.

Basically, all I am saying is that from what I have personally heard the Jub systems do not out perform the MCM Grand systems. The bigger systems do sound better to me. But of course this is just my opinion. Not trying to piss anyone off.

the real winner is the 415-quad which comes in at -10db at 26hz. next runner up is the 904-lh which comes in at -10db at 32hz, third runner up is the jubilee which comes in at -10db at 34hz, followed by the mwm which comes in at -10db at 35hz.

mwm's really are not very deep performers, they are just loud ones. mwm's are all about the stick shift game...my stick shift is bigger than your stick shift...bigger is better is deeply wired into our brains..

Surprisingly, in listening it is quite different. The 415 has about the same extension as the jubilee and very similar character, possibly a slight bit more weight to its bass. The jubilee bests the 904 bass bin by a decent margin in extension and weight to its sound. There was not a MWM bass bin on hand, but I trusts Mark's take on that point.

Surprisingly, in listening it is quite different. The 415 has about the same extension as the jubilee and very similar character, possibly a slight bit more weight to its bass.

I heard bass distortion in the 415 (KPT-942-4-T but with the K-69-A driver instead of the K-1132 driver) that I didn't like: I wouldn't consider a non-horn-loaded bass bin, but that's just my opinion. [:)]

Also note: the K-402 horn central axis is very high off the floor on this unit - this might cause issues if you are listening within about 15 feet (~4.5 m), IMO. One way to deal with this would be to turn the 415 cabinet sideways to lower the K-402 horn.

The whole subject of "How high can the hf horn be off the floor?" is one that we haven't discussed here very much. I found that my listening room with its 10' high (~3 m) ceiling is sensitive to even the thickness of a SPUD underneath it - I got much better hf performance when I put the Jub bass bins back on the floor.

Chris

When the MWM is coupled with the right sub, the Jub sounds like the smaller speaker...

I agree with this in principle since I haven't heard them side-by-side in that configuration.

Bigger bass bins with fewer folds will definitely sound better, if low frequency response is roughly equivalent for both setups (i.e., you add a sub to the bass bin with less lf extension).

Chris

• Moderators

Sorry but your off with that conclusion, imo

It sounds bigger by far, it's not that the cabinet is bigger. And yes I did want bigger sound, and loud only has to do with the volume knob, we rarely listen over 60-70 DB's.

Guest Anonymous

Chris

Glad you mention frequency,...i've been looking at the sepcs for the KPT335HF/MF section, in either of its uses in the KPT 335-N and KPT435-N it crosses at 800 and 5K.

how easy will it be for me to switch to different LF bins and still cross at 800Hz. ie Jubilee LF? 415LF? will these xover at 800 Hz easily?

I'm also wondering if any of you Jubilee owners have utilized the KPT335HF/MF section on the Jub LF bin?

Guest Anonymous

Personally, owning the MCM-3 Grand with 684 subs pretty much seals the deal for me.

I've only had my 684 Sub for about 10 months and have to agree. This thing just keeps on giving, its punchy and clean. I would consider an 884 as well. Looking at the documentation on line, it seems to dig a little deeper. Either way I'm excited to make the switch to Klipsch Cinema gear. its the real deal. I still have some xover questions though, which i hope to get worked out later(see my previous post).

One day, i hope to be as hard core as all you crazy nuts. [:P][Y].

how easy will it be for me to switch to different LF bins and still cross at 800Hz. ie Jubilee LF? 415LF? will these xover at 800 Hz easily?

The woofers in the 415LF are used in other cinema gear that are crossover at 800hz so thats no problem.

I'm also wondering if any of you Jubilee owners have utilized the KPT335HF/MF section on the Jub LF bin?

the 335HF unit has a 510 horn with a k-69 driver. if you want to experience the two way jubilee sound with the 510/69, just go active and use the 510/69 only. if folks who have a 510/69 combo now wnat to hear want a 335 sounds like, they need to add a k-703 horn with a k-70-g driver for the tweeter.

When we did the sub shootout............for music pretty much everyone agreed the 684 sounded tighter than the 884. The 884 was thought to be better for movies since it does dig deeper.....although we only played music so couldn't honestly prove that point. For music it was the 684. The 884 was not as tight.

These are expensive subs so you should find a way to hear them before spending the bucks, and get the right one for you.