Revel B15 Subwoofer---*NEW PHOTOS With Cherry Veneer*

willland

Wonder who builds that plate amp for it?

I asked Charley at Stereotypes(Daytona) and he was not sure. He doubts that it is an in house Revel design. As you may know, Revel is part of the Harman group so many mfr options are at their disposal.

Harman Brands

It would be cool if they had engineers at Mark Levinson design and build the B15's amplifier.[Y][:D]

Bill

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice sub, Bill.

Thanks, I am totaly blown away by this sub and can't believe it all worked out in the end.

I wonder how will it fare against the quad Epik Empires.

I am sure (4) Epiks will get louder but I am not sure they will sound better(I never heard Epiks).Big Smile

Anyway, I heard that my friend is buying both Paradigm Servo 15a from you; is that still the case?

It sure looks that way. I guess Joseph is back in Korea again so we will have work it all out when he gets back. Maybe he is willing to take a drive down my direction or we could meet half way.

Bill

How is the Paradigm compare to Klipsch in general? Most Klipsch subs are ported. Since the Paradigm is a sealed design, I'd think that the Paradigm will sound better in term of tighness and accuracy with much less distortion. What's your take? Though at less than a grand for two Servo 15a, I think he got a heck of a deal.

Now, about your Revel and the quad Epik Empires. They are all sealed design. Your have a single 15" driver and 1000 Watts RMS in a slightly smaller cabinet. Each Empire has dual 15" drivers and 600 Watts RMS in a larger cabinet. Four Empires would have 8 15" drivers and 2400 Watts RMS, I'd think that they would not only play louder but also dig deeper then the Revel while maintaining tightness, accuracy and low distortion. Also, your retails for three grands and the quad Empires can be had for a litte less than three grands. I'd certainly opted for the Epik solution.

How is the Paradigm compare to Klipsch in general?

I really have not heard a Klipsch sub that is/was a direct competitor to the Paradigm Servo 15a except for the RSW15 and it was about $500.00 more in price. The Servo 15a does dig deeper than either my RSW-10d or RW-10d. It is a very musical sub that added a low HT effect to my very very musical RSW-10d. The Revel B15 has taken it to a completely new level with music and for the most part HT.

Though at less than a grand for two Servo 15a, I think he got a heck of a deal.

That is why I like buying quality well built gear on the used market. Joseph is getting $3000.00 worth of subwoofers and a $150.00 very flexible crossover for about a grand, better than 1/3 the price of new.

Now, about your Revel and the quad Epik Empires.

My comments were really based on (1) Revel B15 vs (1) Epik Empire. I know the Epiks reputation and from what I understand, they are all that and more.[Y]

They are all sealed design. Your have a single 15" driver and 1000 Watts RMS in a slightly smaller cabinet. Each Empire has dual 15" drivers and 600 Watts RMS in a larger cabinet. Four Empires would have 8 15" drivers and 2400 Watts RMS, I'd think that they would not only play louder but also dig deeper then the Revel while maintaining tightness, accuracy and low distortion. Also, your retails for three grands and the quad Empires can be had for a litte less than three grands. I'd certainly opted for the Epik solution.

Let's just say, I got a better deal on my Revel B15 than I am giving Joseph on the second Paradigm Servo 15a which is $475.00(Ssssh, don't tell anyone).[:-*]

Bill

My comments were really based on (1) Revel B15 vs (1) Epik Empire. I know the Epiks reputation and from what I understand, they are all that and more.Yes

Fair enough. It'd be interesting to see a head-to-head comparison between the $3,000 Revel B15 and the $800 Epik Empire.

Let's just say, I got a better deal on my Revel 15B than I am giving Joseph on the second Paradigm Servo 15a which is $475.00(Ssssh, don't tell anyone).Whisper

[:o]

• Moderators

The Revel looks awesome Bill! Just curious, what are the three EQ's on the back for? Are you able to set different EQ settings and then switch between those Presets? Looks like a ton of tweeking capabilities. Love the thick rubber around the sub. That's the way my Velodyne sub is. Allows for plenty of excursion. Crank it up so I can hear it over here in Plant City. [:P]

The Revel looks awesome Bill!

Thanks, just wait a few weeks for it to be veneered in cherry to match the 63's and 64.

Just curious, what are the three EQ's on the back for?

First you set a baseline of 80dB's for the fronts at the optimal seating position with an SPL meter or microphone hooked up to it's own program. Then do the same for the subwoofer. Then with the mains and the subwoofer on, a series of test tones are played from 20Hz to 100Hz and you record those dB readings and enter them into the software program. After all are entered you hit analyze and the program shows you the response curve and the target curve after equalization and the settings it suggests for you to change the EQ dials to. After EQ settings, you run the test tones again and enter the dB measurements into the program and it shows you the new response curve. Pretty cool stuff.[H]

Bill

• Moderators

Thanks, just wait a few weeks for it to be veneered in cherry to match the 63's and 64.

I know Jeff will do an awesome job on the veneer. Can't wait to see the pics.

The software and EQ sounds sweet. Pretty cutting edge in it's time.

The software and EQ sounds sweet. Pretty cutting edge in it's time.

You had to add that last comment. Now you just sucked out all the joy I had with my new toy. Now I'm selling the sub, it's not cutting edge enough for this day and age for Youthman.[:@]

I could not resist that one.[;)]

Yeah, this Revel is one of the first subs to have any onboard EQ and it just preceeds consumer auto EQing by a couple of years.

Bill

• Moderators

No problem. I'll buy it from you at 1/2 of what you paid for it. [:P]

I really wasn't trying to say the technology was dated, but merely it was maybe one of the pioneers in that technology. I really have no idea how much sub calibration has changed over the last years since none of the subs I have owned have ever had those features. Oops...did I just date my own subs? LOL

No problem. I'll buy it from you at 1/2 of what you paid for it. Stick out tongue

Sorry just kidding about selling it.

I really wasn't trying to say the technology was dated, but merely it was maybe one of the pioneers in that technology.

You know I know that you were not busting on my sub.[:D] I was just a bit delirious in my sleep deprived state[|-)] and was just having fun with you.

Bill

I want to publicly thank and acknowledge Jeff Hoak for the wonderful job he did in veneering my Revel B15 with cherry veneer. Jeff is very generous with his time and his skills and with this experience I was able to learn a couple of things or two.

New, new photos will be posted after all clearcoating and painting is complete.

Jeff, thanks again.

Bill

New, new photos will be posted after all clearcoating and painting is complete.

Jeff, thanks again.

You're very welcome. I sure wish we could have removed that front trim though.

I should have thought to taken a few shots of veneering process. I never think to take pictures "during" a project.

I should have thought to taken a few shots of veneering process. I never think to take pictures "during" a project.

Funny thing is I brought my camera to do just that but I only remembered right before I left.

I sure wish we could have removed that front trim though.

I am going to lightly sand that front sycamore veneer and stain a small area with a 50/50 mix of the Minwax golden oak/cherry. If it does not pass the test, RUST-OLEUM Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X in black semi-gloss will have to work.

Bill

Just a couple of photos after veneering(thanks Jhoak) and 3 applications of Minwax clear polycoat. All polished and ready for photos. I still need to sand the front sycamore veneer and stain it cherry and clearcoat it and paint the thick gray plastic driver housing in black semi-gloss. I hope to have her back in commission by next week.[:D]

Bill

post-26822-1381968713508_thumb.jpg