Intro With a Few Questions

blowndc

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker around here but finally signed up to post. I've owned a Bose Acoustimass system for years, thinking it was a pretty good system. A few weeks ago I heard a Klipsch Synergy system and was amazed. I tossed around the idea of upgrading away from my Bose system. Last weekend, I decided that I can toss ideas around forever and nothing will happen unless I do something about it. I posted up my Bose system for sale and sold it. This is where the addiction starts....and my search for a new speaker system starts

I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver. It's a little outdated technology, but it still puts out good sound quality and will serve it's purpose until I save up for a new receiver.

I started looking at the Synergy speakers (F20 and F30) due to the affordability of them. Then I start reading the review on here and now I'm leaning towards the RF series speakers (RF-62 & 82). They're a little more money, but sounds like they're noticeably better.

My questions are: Is the RF-82 worth the extra money over the RF-62? Is the RW-12D worth the extra money for the KSW-12?

I use my system for 80% HT and 20% music. The setup will be in my Living Room, which is relatively large, approximately 20x22.

My planned system is:

Yamaha DSP-A1,
RF-62 / RF-82,
RC-62,
RW-12D,
RS-52

Anybody have any input or feedback on the system I'm planning? This will be my first "real" HT system. It'll be somewhat of a budget setup. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum from a B*ose 901 owner in a previous life.

Yep, your receiver is a bit long in tooth but mostly in the video department for the sake of this discussion. I would think that we should reverse engineer your request by asking a couple of questions; I see that you are 80% HT mode:

What is your budget for 5 speakers? Remember that the front 3 need to be MATCHED!

What size is the room?

and a comment: I am a hard core Klipsch guy but have yet to buy a Klipsch sub; just my opinion.

Good luck.

Just curious, what kind of complaints? I currently own a Yamaha rx-v61 that I recently purchased, but I have yet to buy any klipsch speakers. (new to all this and still doing my research). I know my receiver is "entry level", but this its the first I've heard of problems with klipsch and Yamaha.

Welcome to the forum from a B*ose 901 owner in a previous life.

Yep, your receiver is a bit long in tooth but mostly in the video department for the sake of this discussion. I would think that we should reverse engineer your request by asking a couple of questions; I see that you are 80% HT mode:

What is your budget for 5 speakers? Remember that the front 3 need to be MATCHED!

What size is the room?

and a comment: I am a hard core Klipsch guy but have yet to buy a Klipsch sub; just my opinion.

Good luck.

Do you not have a Klipsch sub because you do not feel the need for one, or are other brands of subs that you feel are better? Enlighten me please.

Do you not have a Klipsch sub because you do not feel the need for one, or are other brands of subs that you feel are better? Enlighten me please.

After listening to a few Klipsch models I choose an SVS PB-12 Plus 2, it's all personal opinion.

• Moderators

but this its the first I've heard of problems with klipsch and Yamaha.

There are no "problems" with using Yamaha and Klipsch. I did for over a year. Fantastic for HT, ok for 2ch listening. Many of us have said that the Yamaha isn't as "musical" sounding as say a Harman Kardon, Marantz, or NAD. Doesn't make it bad, just means there are better sounding receivers if you do a lot of 2ch listening. If you mostly use it to watch movies, Yamaha can be a great match with Klipsch.

I very much enjoy my Yamaha with my Reference speakers, but there are several that do not. Here's a list of some of the reasons I've heard, and most are accurate:

The Yamaha is not as musical. True when compared to the generally more expensive "musical" receivers offered by Marantz, HK, and NAD.

The Yamaha isn't user friendly. True when compared to the Onkyo Denon lines at about the same price. The remote is a bit confusing as is the menu. Not sure about Pioneer.

YPAO isn't as good as Audyessy. Don't know, but I have been more pleased with my Audyessy set-up than YPAO for calibration.

The biggest problem with the Yamaha, IMO, is that it is a tweener. It does some things better than the cheaper Onkyo's, but isn't as good as some of the Marantz/HK receivers. The price is middling and if often gets over-looked for $100.00 in either direction.

New to this forum and loving it!!! Quick, extremely informative responses from the community. Glad to hear that the yamaha isn't some sort of "kryptonite" to the klipsch speakers. I'm very close to purchasing my first set, I just got freaked by what I read. I do plan to use this system mainly for movie/tv watching with some music listening mixed in (very little). So the issues with yamaha rec. don't seem like they will be a problem for me right now. I'm still in a 30 day return window on my yamaha, so I just wanted to be sure before I stuck with it. Off to convincing the wife that we need expensive speakers. Thank you everyone for your help

Just curious, what kind of complaints? I currently own a Yamaha rx-v61 that I recently purchased, but I have yet to buy any klipsch speakers. (new to all this and still doing my research). I know my receiver is "entry level", but this its the first I've heard of problems with klipsch and Yamaha.

I set up a HT at my dads house with klipsch and yamaha. Sounds great to us. I will add that I have heard the 82's SMS the 62's and I feel the 62's are the best bang for your buck from klipsch RF line. They share the same tweeter and most people cross over at 80hz anyway. You'll get more bass from the 82's but if you have a sub it won't matter.

• Moderators

Definitely no Kryptnite in the Yamaha. You will be just fine since you are primarily HT.

Off to convincing the wife that we need expensive speakers.

See, you are already going at it the wrong way. You really can't justify expensive speakers to the wife unless you are super fortunate to have a wife that shares the same passion for quality sound as you do. In my 15 years of marriage, I have found an approach that works for me. I pretty much never question my wife if she wants to make a reasonable purchase. Do I understand a $200 purse or an $80 wallet? Nope. But I don't expect myself to. I just know that somewhere down the road I will want to make an illogical purchase (ex. Dual Subwoofers when there is already plenty of bass to shake the entire house). When she's able to pretty much get whatever she wants, I am able to do the same. It also helps that we've been working the cash only plan for some time and the only debt we have is our home and a piece of property. Much easier to justify toys when we don't have a car payment. [:D]

Problem for me is that my wife doesn't ever see the need to buy anything we don't "need" Luxury items are something that she couldn't care less about. You should of seen my struggles to sell her on a flat screen TV years ago. She was completely fine with a 32" crt TV. As for shoes and purses she would probably just say she's fine with what she has. Its an uphill battle, but i'm digging my feet in and pushing forward. Wish me luck.

I'n terms of the 62s vs 82s, prices I've been quoted online (yes, by authorized dealers) have had a minimal difference on price between the 2 so i'm planning on the 82s.

b, regarding the choice between the RF82 and 62; They seem pretty similar. I noticed the larger (1-1/2" difference in the drivers and greater power handling abilty of the 82; these are far from deal breakers as it may even suit you better especially depending on which way you go in the future) nature of the 82 and you have a moderately large space to fill. I think the 62s will do the job. I have no listening experience with the 62 so I'm responding here for more help. Thanks for the message; I'm glad to see you're using the Forum. Best, Nic

• 3 weeks later...

An update. I got my hands on a pair of RF-82 for $350 and the guy also had a RC-3 for an additional $75. The RF-82 were the originals on the series 2, the guy said he listened to them no more than 30 hours, and that they're not even broken in yet. I grabbed both and they sound great.

To my surprise, the RF-82 is huge. I hooked it up and played some music with it, and they sound amazing.

A special thanks to member Shake777 for all the advice and pointers he has given me. I feel really bad for backing out on a deal I had going with him, but this deal was local. Thanks again Nic.