Does it make a difference to identically match the rear speakers to the front speakers?

MRC2011

I have been a HT fan since I can remember. Years ago as a kid I remember wiring my mono tv speaker to a passive line level converter then running the rca's to the tape in jacks on my 2 channel receiver (before surround sound). Times have changed. Now I know in HT a lot of people use smaller speakers for their rear surrounds, just as use to be the case with the center channel. Now the centers are much larger (i.e. RC-62/64 & RC-7). My question is does it make a difference in the rear? I have always purchased 4 matching speakers for fronts and rears in my HT systems, my theory is that it provides a "balance" the rears being an identical match in potential sound (timbre, sensitivity, cone area, amplification (equal power to each speaker), ect.). Is this ideal? or are there advantages to running smaller rears (other than saving space)? I understand there is less sound / information sent to the rears, but I am thinking about imaging. If people had the cash and the room would they match front, center, rear, (and sides for 7.1)?

Any input is greatly appreciated, as I am considering future upgrades and it could greatly impact my choice of speakers. I could sink more $$$ into the fronts / less into the rears or keep my balance theory.

I am not a professional by no means (nor do I ever claim to be ) but here is "my person thought" given the question at hand. IF...IF i had the space & money to match all the speakers (5.1/ 7.1) I would more than likely do it! BUT... given from what I have experienced
as within my own set up I do believe it doest not matter as much.
I have smaller speakers such as the Klipsch SLX as surrounds but I do have towers as rear surrounds as the sound if great for my HT area

Surround speakers don't get nearly the workout the front stage does. Nor do your ears hear as well to the sides or behind you as you can to the front. I don't think matching everything matters that much. If at all possible I would keep all the speakers the same brand and ideally the same line but thats it. That being said there are some guys around here running RF-82's for everything.

1. In terms of a large vs small rear speaker, the rear speaker DOES need sufficient output capabilities to meet any potential peaks that will be asked of it. If you're listening at full reference level, that means you need a speaker capable of 105dB of output at the listening position, same as the fronts. You cannot expect a small speaker like a Quintet to handle such output; on the other hand, a relatively small speaker like the P-27S (small in comparison with the floorstanding models in the Palladium line at least) most certainly can deal with those output levels when mated with a subwoofer.

2. As far as surrounds being identical to the fronts, it's all up to what you prefer in the end. FWIW though, THX mandates a dipole speaker for the surround channels, as this provides a more enveloping sound than a conventional monopole could achieve, and in their research, most people preferred the dipole surrounds.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably just build a properly treated and isolated theater room, and run with the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 system (which obviously does not use the same speakers all around). Maybe just for fun, I'd have a separate (also properly treated and isolated) music room with Jubilees and a couple JTR Orbit Shifters.

I appreciate the responses. I think I will try to give a set of RS's a test drive. Part of the delima though is power handling. Right now I a using a SONY TA-N9000ES in BTL mode (200wpc x2) for my rears. I am concerned about pushing that much power to any set of RS's.

Right now I a using a SONY TA-N9000ES in BTL mode (200wpc x2) for my rears. I am concerned about pushing that much power to any set of RS's.

This shouldn't present a significant issue. While your Sony is rated to put out up to 200wpc, in actual usage you'll use much less.

• Moderators

Right now I a using a SONY TA-N9000ES in BTL mode (200wpc x2) for my rears. I am concerned about pushing that much power to any set of RS's.

I have 220watts per channel from my Parasound Amp going to my RS-52's. Lots of clean power is a great thing. As mentioned, you probably do not ever come close to actually pushing a full 200 watts to them anyways.

Youthman, you ever consider upgrading your RS-52?

I demo'ed the 62's along with the 52's and honestly couldn't tell the difference so saved some money. I was thinking about eventually picking up RF-63 for surrounds as I think towers would be quite impressive, but then you read about how THX recommends dipoles and I really wonder if it would make all that much of a difference. Probably better places to spend my money. I might have to demo a pair at some point. Also, given the choice between if you were to upgrade your surround, would you go with back speakers or a B set of side surrounds and would you use the RF-52's again?

• Moderators

Youthman, you ever consider upgrading your RS-52?

I would if the right deal came along. I picked the RS-52's at a sweet price. I doubt I would be able to hear that much difference between the two to justify the difference in price, even if I were to buy the RS-62's used.

I was thinking about eventually picking up RF-63 for surrounds as I think towers would be quite impressive, but then you read about how THX recommends dipoles and I really wonder if it would make all that much of a difference.

I'm sure tower rears, especially the RF-63's would be quite incredible, powerful and authoritative. THX and Dolby do recommend in a 5.1 system using wide dispersion (dipole/bipole type speakers) placed on the sides, slightly behind the listening position. Back in the day when we had Dolby Prologic, they recommended direct firing bookshelf speakers on the back wall aimed at your listening position.

Probably better places to spend my money.

Yeah, that's a tough call. You already have a great well rounded system with quality dual subs, clean powered amps driving your 5 speakers probably a great receiver (I'm not familiar with Denon models). Sometimes it's ok to just sit back and enjoy the gear you have. [:D] Not sure what your setup is but three things I really love in my setup is my Harmony One (controls everything), Lutron Maestro Dimmer (controlled by my Harmony) and my electric reclinging theater seats. These are just comfort and convenience but really are a great addition to the HT. You can always go projection. [:P] I guess this hobby never ends does it.

given the choice between if you were to upgrade your surround, would you go with back speakers or a B set of side surrounds and would you use the RF-52's again?

If I were to upgrade my surrounds, my only consideration would be the RS-62's. I do not have the room for towers in my room so those are out of the question. I would not go with bookshelf type speakers for surrounds as the wide dispersion to me are much better for movies. Direct firing speakers are too localized for my taste. If you listen to more music than movies, floorstanding or bookshelf speakers might be a better option. If I were building another HT, yes, I would use my RS-52's as side surrounds again.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I just pulled the trigger and order the RS-52iis from newegg. I got a 40% email coupon and couldn't resist. This means I won't be matching fronts and rears. I hope to be able to get three G-28s for the front soon. I was considering a G series for rears but two RS52iis for $456 is about what one G-28 costs.

better to stay in your RS line than mix Galleries. I think you made a good decision going with smaller rears than your fronts but you do want everything from the same line. my speakers are all Synergy and I asked Klipsch about using Reference or Galleries for front highs and they were pretty strong about staying within the Synergy line and not mixing. Klipsch also tends to make their surround speakers so that the sound has a wide pattern but they don't recommend them up front. in front the sound comes straight toward you rather than out the side of the speakers. if you can find RF or RC 52's at similar prices to what you found the RS-52's, they'll probably be a better match than Galleries.

Thanks wizop but due to WAF, it's gotta be the G-28s up front.

Interesting that you were told to stay with Synergy for front highs, I wouldn't guess there could be that much sound out of highs to matter.

The local Klipsch retailer here sold me the discontinued RS 10s with the understanding that I would be back for the G-28s, he assured me they would work together. I ended up using the RS-10s in MY room upstairs to replace some old Infinity HIB rears. I decided I needed a bigger rear sound for the downstairs (open floor plan, living room, kitchen, dining room), thus the recent RS 52s.

But now you've got me second guessing what I was told...I could always turn the upstairs into 7.1 with the RS 52s...but...that means more $$$ for Gs downstairs.

just be sure to listen to everything before you settle on the G's. your reference stuff is a step up from my synergies. I have the impression that the G's may be a step down in audio although a step up in fashion. I haven't seen more than pictures but I think they were designed for the market that wants speakers mounted on the wall by a flat screen TV. your other stuff is serious audiophile quality. let's hope we hear from some Gallery users before you have to decide. if wall mount is the issue, you might see if you can find some RVX-42's on EBay or the like.

let's hope we hear from some Gallery users before you have to decide. if wall mount is the issue, you might see if you can find some RVX-42's on EBay or the like.

johnnydrama started a Gallery Owner's thread, he's got 5 G-28s. I'll post there and see if he compared his old RS 42s to the Gs.

And thanks for the tip about the RVX-42s, never heard of them but there are some new ones at Amazon. Wall mount is the issue, next to the tv and used for 100% tv/movie viewing but want great concert movie sound.