Belle Klipsch - can it be "split in two"??

Can a Belle Klipsch be separated into two sections (like the Khorns)? I have an idea for using a Belle Klipsch as a center if the mid/high and the basshorn sections can be split up - I want to place the mid/high section above my TV, and the low frequency section below or elsewhere.

If so, what are the precise dimensions of the two pieces? Height dimensions primarily, since the width and depth should not change. Can anyone on the forum get me this info??

If I do this, I'll need to do some shielding work on them as well - has anyone tried this approach with a Belle?

TIA

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

Recently, I recall seeing on eBay a pair of Black K-Horns and matching Belle Center for sale. The seller had made a custom matching enclosure that housed the Tweeter, not sure if the Squawker was enclosed as well. The Belle mid-high top was still mounted to its base, seller just had the additional enclosure w/longer leads to the network which could be set atop a TV or entertainment center. A much smaller footprint and the cabinet was professionally made with matching Black Grill Cloth matching finish. Of course there was no reduction in the Belle's overall cabinet height. Just another option instead of separating the upper freq cabinet.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-20-2002 at 03:00 PM

Wes, I take from your response that the mid/upper freq portion is separable. Is this in fact the case? If so, can someone please measure how tall the top portion is? That dimension will make or break the idea, at least in this home.

If they in fact they do separate, is it by unscrewing wing nuts, or is it difficult to do (risking integrity of the cabinet or causing other irreversable damage)??

I do remember seeing that auction, but could not remember the specifics.

Yes, it can be safely separated. Looks like threaded screws that protrude through the top of the bass section. There are 3/8" nuts that secure the top section to those screws. Removal would not affect the bass sections integrity. Not sure if those threaded screws are installed from the underside of the bass sections top? If they do, they would extend about an 1" in height above the top of bass section.

However, there's also an access hole in the top of each bass section that the lead from the woofer comes through to connect to the crossovers. That hole and woofer wiring would be visible, along with the heads of the mounting screws that secure the top to the bass section. Oh, height from top of bass section to top of mid/high section is 9 1/4".

<edit> I know Chris Robinson and Al K. have a lot of experience with Belle disassembly. I remember seeing pics of Al's shortened mid/high section Belles.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-20-2002 at 06:19 PM

dnd-

They do indeed come apart and it looks on my '98 model that the top horn section is ~9 1/4" tall.

I know others on the BB have placed TV's on top of a Belle so you may not have a shielding problem.

Good luck on your project...I have no doubt that you will pull it off!

<I edited my measurement of the height>

This message has been edited by edster00 on 05-20-2002 at 07:41 PM

dndphishin

If you get a hold of a pair and want to split one up, I would be interested. I, also, want a Belle for a mid/center channel.

I too saw the one on EBAY black and talked with the guy. He just made the bottom to do this said it was no big deal.

I wonder if anyone has taken a K horn top and done the same? Might be interesting too.

Al

Im not sure what I am more impressed with, your Belle mods or your McIntosh setup!!!

Impressive....

Have you ever considered Mac's tube amps instead of the 50 W Transistors?? Would be interested in your choise of using the 50W model. I just sold my 7300's to finance other things and am looking into a suitable long term replacement to drive my khorns.

JM

When I first started out, I had a Marantz 8B tube amp in that little amp compartment in my Dad's cabinet. It got so hot in there that the pitch in the transformers was running out the bottom. There is plenty of ventilation holes under there too. I got sick of burning my fingers on the tubes trying to make the bias adjustments. I actually traded it in on the Mc250 brand new. I only got $190 for the 8B. That was back before the prices of used tube stuff started to sky-rocket. In short, I would never go back to tubes!

Al K.