Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

How are you going to finish it Dave?

Leaning towards black formica. Won't worry with that for a while.

Dave

You need to worry about the finish as you build the sub[;)]. Round the corners, paint the mouth, recessed screws or nails? It's good to have some idea as to what the finish will be as you build.

Okies, let's assume formica. It pretty well covers anything that doesn't have stuff poking out of it and doesn't need any rounding of corners. I'm just going on the two turntable platforms my wife and I built.

Dave

Paint in the mouth?

I've never worked with formica. Cutting a hole for the access cover won't be an issue?

I've never worked with formica. Cutting a hole for the access cover won't be an issue?

Shouldn't be. You just glue the formica on, then rout the edges. Edges actually have to be sharp corners, at least for us amatuers. Frankly, I was amazed at how easy it was, though I'll admit our work was imperfect.

Good enough though! You get a nice surface that is waterproof and suitable for anything except chopping onions. Can't recall the last time I chopped onions in a listening room.

Dave

Okies, guys, here we go. Perhaps those who try this will glean something new and useful here. Otherwise, just logging a great day!

In short, I was priviliged to watch two self-deprecating guys come together as a team that moved on this so swiftly and accurately I learned almost NOTHING!. Half the time I spent trying to understand a problem they'd found. Issue is that by the time I sort of understood the problem they were a couple of steps past it and working out another. Together, they are world class and would make an awesome Saturday PBS show where they show up at some poor schnooks place like mine and rescue a fubar'd attempt to build a subwoofer. "Subwoofer Shockers" or something like that.

I learned one thing: A man's gotta know his limitations. Watching these guys will set you back to the level of trying to figure out which side of a hammer is the business side. I'm back to doorstops and such for a while.

Thank God for these guys!

Ron (Lonelobo) showed first and went straight to work penciling in the lines for the internal folds. BTW, not sure how long it will take me to get all these up. I have "other duties as assigned" today.

post-9494-13819828709168_thumb.jpg

So, walls up and about 3 hours in now. Lunchtime. The PAW build sandwichs as seen behind her. UNBELIEVABLE! Tomatoes were perfect, beautiful deep green crisp lettuce, rich pepper salami, roast beef, ham, an extraordinary white cheese (didn't ask...), on marvelous artisan bread. YUM! Of course, good Texas tortilla chips with fresh salsa and guac.

post-9494-13819828721022_thumb.jpg