Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

BTW, I'm running mine with one of these and it's superb: http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

it looks like they've closed up shop, but it should at least give you some perspective on what many consider to be a maximum need for powering this sub.

I was looking at those and sniveling because they closed up shop. If you see something that looks good let me know. I'm thinking of building 2 at the same time or one right after the other. Put an inch and 1/2 wall on one side to use as false wall for Khorn. Unless someone can give me good reason not to do so.

Thanks

If I recall, several guys (including Lil' Mike) used just the basic Bash 300: http://www.parts-express.com/bash-300s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-300w-rms--300-750

I bought the oaudio amp based on reputation, the included subsonic filter, and because I wasn't sure how much power would actually be needed. Hooked up to my Denon I run the amp with gain knob set to the very first notch and trim levels from 0-2, depending on what impact I want for each movie. I can't remember my room volume, but it's something like 20x30x10.

Any idea how placing the F-20 on wheels might affect performance

Negatively.

You don't want any movement from your sub. Wheels give the opportunity for movement. When that happens, the acoustical energy produced by the sub is being turned into mechanical motion of the sub. reducing it's performance.

One of my favorite time saving tools, the Jasper Jig. It's perfect for cutting circles. The jig has the ability to cut circles from a little under 3" to 19". All you do is drill an 1/8" hole where you want the center of the hole to be and install the supplied 1/8" steel dowel in the hole. Next you find the corresponding dimension on the jig that you want to cut and put that hole on the dowel. The driver for this build needed a 14" hole.

Bought one of those a couple years ago, is the first choice in hole cutting. :emotion-21:

Bought one of those a couple years ago, is the first choice in hole cutting.

I used to set the jig up and cut a pattern on scrap then measure it to be sure it was right. Now I just put the peg in the hole and let it rip. It's always right on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

argh. was wondering when this would happen. between recovering from wife's unpaid maternity, out of town family visits, and rainy weekends I just haven't gotten it done. And since you're not coming up north next month, I'm no longer stressing about how it'll get done before then :P

Give me till the end of August and I'll have her painted and pictured. I've been doing what's most important - using it! Actually having a little star wars EP I, II, III marathon this saturday with some friends. I'm excited. :)

In the meantime, here's some much cuter photos.

addie-13.jpeg

addie-14.jpeg

addie-15.jpeg

I think I should send her a Hammer with 16 penny nails, roofing tacks, and a nice wire brush for putting that important helping Daddy get the finish right on his speakers. ;)

Well, looks like my eternal F20 build will finally get finished, hopefully by the weekend. The PAW is out getting the Formica as I write. I have the flanges for the access panel cut and ready to glue and screw. Really mainly need to remind myself of what screws are needed for the t-nuts that hold the driver in. Can't recall if I got them at the time or not. Anyway, there's a nice local hardware store five minutes away.

Have some "muscle" coming Thursday to move some things around and it will be one of those things.

Looking forward to it!!!

Dave

The t-nuts were installed prior to the baffle being installed. All driver t-nuts were glued in place. I always test fit and check thread to bolt fit PRIOR to gluing the baffle in place as there's not much you can do about it later. The only thing about Dave's build that gave me the least bit of pause was his choice of adhesive but after a couple trips to the hardware store, we had to use it or not complete the project in one day. It was applied liberally and lord knows it's had plenty of time to cure :P .

Dave, where did you find the bolts?