KPT-415-LF

davis419b

Wow, I wonder how that would sound. Does this take distortion to a lower level ?

yes...less distortion due to better cone control....same frequency response.....BUT acoustic power at the same signal level (SPL) is -3db compared to having all 4 drivers firing forward in normal direct radiator mode. So you trade a smaller size cab with less distortion that is -3db in place of a larger cab with more distortion that is +- 0db.

real easy to try....main thing...keep the series/parallel wiring model.....but wire the woofers that are pointing backwards opposite of the wiring of the woofers pointing forwards....the woofers that are face to face need to swing in and out together.

Let me see if I have this right. You tie the backwards facing 2 out of phase speakers in series by tying the + of one to - of the other. Then run the + back to the - on the xover of one and the - back to the + on the xover of the other. The other 2 speakers will remain wired as they came. I have tried alot of things in the last week that I would never had tried in the 4 years I have belonged to the forum.

The other 2 speakers will remain wired as they came.

only if they came wired in series

there a a few different correct answers, but the easiest is wire the existing speakers in the 904 cab in series, wire the two addon speakers in series, wire the two series circuts in parallel but reverse the polarity of the rearward facing speakers (the ones you added which are facing the ones that were originally in the 904 cab). Take the bolts from one of the woofers to the hardware store, you will need longer ones. TIP: lay the 904 cabs on the floor when you install the extra woofers....those woofers are pretty heavy and you do not want to put a screw driver thru one of the cones if the woofers slip during the install.

• 2 weeks later...

"Thanks Gary ! This picture is alot of help . I didnt even realize there
were baffles of some sort inside. Now if I can just find out what they
are and where they go I will get started."

Why are you so all fired up to build a cabinet that only goes to 43hz, and the drivers are hard to get?

The 'baffles' are just cabinet bracing, no more than that.

What is your intended use for this cabinet?

Whether it is for home use, cinema, or PA ; I could think of a better cabinet design to build.

The angled panels behind the drivers ( visible through the openings ) are to reduce the effect of a cabinet reflection and subsequent dip in the FR, and not for bracing. There is a front to back brace in the center as well. ( IIRC, it was a 2x4 )

post-9504-13819689506558_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would be very surprised if anyone has a pair of these. I seriously considered buying a pair, but the size of the bass bin would dictate running a 402, the 510 would look silly on that bass bin. That cabinet is tuned slightly lower, but still does not dig much deeper than the 904.

As you know I am running 402,s with 904,s currently. This is more of a want to deal than a need to deal, not to mention it will give me a chance to use some of the other 8 K-45,s I have in other cabinets.

I would be very surprised if anyone has a pair of these. I seriously considered buying a pair, but the size of the bass bin would dictate running a 402, the 510 would look silly on that bass bin. That cabinet is tuned slightly lower, but still does not dig much deeper than the 904.

I would not rule out the K-510 simply based on how it looks.

It is a very nice horn, IMO. I use them on top of my "Jubilee-inspired" bass bins. It is a good combination.

-Tom

I would not rule out the K-510 simply based on how it looks.

It is a very nice horn, IMO. I use them on top of my "Jubilee-inspired" bass bins. It is a good combination.

-Tom

I also have 510,s with B&C drivers but prefer the sound of the 402/K-69 combo.