Baby La Scala--(Update)

SAMCRO

I take it you want a one in throat horn? Check out Parts experss thay and alot to choose from even a JBL clone for $13.00 each and a bunch of Goldwood horns and econo horns. Best regards Moray James.

Edit: just saw the 500 Hz requirement that makes it tougher you could build your own conical horn to fit amd see how that sounds might be fun.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This puzzles me since you are only 3/4" narrower than a stock LaScala.

If you need more internal volume, you can also gain a few cubic inches buy opening the doghouse toward the back, above the top ramp and below the bottom ramp. It won't gain much, but it adds up.

Bruce

Schu,

How wide do you think an actual LaScala is? It does appear a bit large for a "Baby" Lascala.......

It's an adolescent LaScala. It looks good so far. The deflectors is a good thing. The deflectors makes for a need to go a little wider Than the smallest width you can get out of a 12" driver.

Speakerfritz: are you referring to the vertical 45 degree reflector at the back of the cabinet? I was trying to remember the detaiols of some experiments that Tom Danley did years ago with two identical horns one with one reflectors and one with extreme radius corners. Turned out the horn with no reflectors measured better. Of more practical use is the Yapped Horn thread by J Bell at DIY Audio. It's a long but good read with much effort spent on attempting to optomize the design with reflector placement and it is very interesting to see shat pahhens when you add reflectors at the points which would seem to make the most sense. Well worth a look for those who have ever wondered and are considering a build. Best regards Moray James.

Never did I even believe that I know what I am doing, just having a blast seeing these come together. [;)]

I had a thought on the driver and wanted to bounce this off people that do know what end is up.

Using a Selenium D3305Ti and making a 2 way design?

The tops have me at a crossroads on what will be the best bang for the buck. These have become big babies, small in the fact using k-1242s instead of K-33s. They keep growing the final dimensions will end up 23" x 18" x 42"

The tall skinny little brother.

" Speakerfritz: are you referring to the vertical 45 degree reflector at the back of the cabinet? I was trying to remember the detaiols of some experiments that Tom Danley did years ago with two identical horns one with one reflectors and one with extreme radius corners. Turned out the horn with no reflectors measured better."

The reflectors are used in the Khorns and Jubilees. They effect the upper mid bass area. They have no improvement on low frequency area and as a matter of fact, if not done properly could hurt low frequency......they do take up pathway space...so you have to get you clearances correct.

The 1133s will be for the front pair,and the tweeters I had been looking at many options. There is the APT 50 to 150s. Looked at some K-60s listed on ebay, but no real info on them.

The rear set in progress will follow more to the orignals (k-400 & 55s and k77s)

By the end of the summer I plan on having all 5 finished.

Having a blast even if I don't know what Im doing

I use APT 150s on my LaScalas. Lined up with the K55 sitting underneath. If placed at the front of the cabinet, the time difference between the two drivers is quite noticable.

Bruce

post-7149-13819690574472_thumb.jpg