What are you using for 7.1 surrounds

Mborso1029

Just wondering what everyone in the rear for surrounds and rear surrounds, im changing out my rears and just ordered 1 set of rs62s but i was actually thinking of going with a bookshelf for the Back L & R. Right now my set up is RF 7ll Rc 64ll 4x Rs42ll

like i said i just ordered a set of rs 62s to replace one set of the the 42s but i started looking into the RB 61's or the RB 81s and i know some perfer having book shelves in the rear instead of 4 of the WDST rs. Im just wondering if it helps having more direction sound coming out of 1 set the rears. what do you think 4x rs62s or one set of the 62s and maybe a set of RB81's?

i think i just found one of your build threads. how do they sound??? i just got these rs 62s and never before even heard of those, now im looking at them and wish i would of waited to order them....i cannot find anywhere that sells them? only local Installers ?

From looking at the specs on those things id think that they would have to blow these rs62 out of the water, especially with that 12 in driver. im kinda dissapointed in the performance out of these coming from the rs 42's i thought it would be a huge step up. im almost thinking of maybe going to the professional series stuff now for the rear. honestly somehow everytime ive looked at klipschs site ive missed that section....

Im really looking HARD at these things now....looks like either vanns ill be getting another return from me or they'll be going up for sale along with the 42's

Does anyone else use these?? i just read some other threads and people are actually saying theese cost less than my rs 62???? thatd be nuts but then i really need to start hearing some good stuff about them because i do believe in you get what you pay for. All i ever hear about is the RS series for rears. i need some input

Those are some serious surrounds. You better have some big mains, or you are gonna be turning around a lot. [:)] I'm thinking Jubes would be nice.

I think the standard mounting height of surrounds is 2' above the ear. Since these are angled down, they probably need to be mounted higher. Mounted with the tops at the ceiling, there would be a good bit of gain, which should make these things even more ominous. It would be nice to know...

i think i just found one of your build threads. how do they sound??? i just got these rs 62s and never before even heard of those, now im looking at them and wish i would of waited to order them....i cannot find anywhere that sells them? only local Installers ?

From looking at the specs on those things id think that they would have to blow these rs62 out of the water, especially with that 12 in driver. im kinda dissapointed in the performance out of these coming from the rs 42's i thought it would be a huge step up. im almost thinking of maybe going to the professional series stuff now for the rear. honestly somehow everytime ive looked at klipschs site ive missed that section....

I have a build thread here and at AVS but because of the weird picture posting problems here (too much of a pain to resize or lose the side of the pic) I have not updated the thread here. The AVS thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1300605

I actually finished the room last weekend and will shop for carpet this weekend. I have played the 12VBs but with out the Klipshorns mains in the room. The 1201s are still in the boxes as I will need to weld up some brackets to mount them (because they need to be mounted at an angle from the wall). What little information is out there on these says they sound great. I am going to feed them with QSC RMX2450s at 450WPC. I will never push the amps or speakers anywhere close to there limits and it will be nice not to ever worry about damaging either.

how do you like the rs 62s...i just got mine and they replaced a set of 42s....and i cannot get over how disappointed i am in difference, i guess all those posts that i read about not much of a difference from the rs 42s to 62s were true. im gonna go to those kpt 12 vb's now i guess, if i can find a store that wants to sell them, everybody has to call me back on them, and i have yet to recieve a call, none of these stores seem to have any clue what im talking about.

You are totally missing the point here.

First of all you need to ask yourself if you need a 7.1 system. What are using the system for? Music or movies primarily? What is the size of room?

Next you need to understand the difference between 5.1 and 7.1

There are NO 7.1 digital signal! It means the two back speakers are using a mixed signal from the surround speakers to fill in a bigger room.

This logic also applies to the size of the surround back speaker. If you have a 12x14 room and expecting a hughes improvement going from RS 42to RS 62, yes you are going to des appointed but it does not matter since you are already wasting your money with a 7.1 system.

WSD vs Bookself , most people will tell you one or the other but it really comes down to what you like. As I have experienced both set up, I will suggest WSD for large rooms .

You need to select the correct speaker base on the objective and the room

Give us the necessary information and we can give you a better advise which will work for you.

I'm also surprised that you care more about sound effect but not at all about matching the speakers to have the same timbre across your system.

I watch alot of movies and such a small percentage of the sound (?10%) is focused on the rear speakers (splashing water, occasional bullet reverb, background noises in restaurant scenes etc..) I personally would not spend too much time worrying about about having commerical theater sized surrounds to match a home theater setup. Getting those theater speakers for the rears would require you to build the rest of your HT around them by buying theater speakers all around. Not to mention they will require much more power to drive them and then throw your whole system off balance by exposing weaknesses in your other non-theater caliber components. The RS-62II's are the perfect timber match to your system as tested (and marketed ) by klipsch. If you're not hearing a sonic balance between all your speakers with the rs-62II's then your audyssy/EQ setup and/or Amp should be reviewed. In the 15x20 room I have I can clearly hear random and loud explosions, jets seemlessly flying over from back to front shaking the room etc.. and I only have 135watts/channel. I'm thinking the sound would be even further improved by upgrading to an outboard amp capable of working out the speakers a little more with 250wpc RMS. I probably wouldn't waste money doing that unless I moved everything to a larger room. However, it's good to know the speakers can handle much more power than I'm driving them that if ever needed. I am curious why you would have got the tiny RS-42ii's to start with??? IF it were true that they were as good or powerful as the rs-62ii's then who would shell out the significantly extra $$ for the RS-62ii's?? I haven't heard the RS-42ii but previously had a similar speaker in the Icon WS-24's and can tell you that at mid to high volume levels the upgrade made a huge difference! Good Luck!

I like have a 9.1 setup and like listening in extended stero mode. My family room/open concept kitchen is large so I have surrond back towers and WDST speakers for surround. This setup covers the entire level with a full and balanced sound. It is also great for movie due to the various BD formats. I use front height speakers to add to the front stage in a vertical dimension since the ceilings are high. It all depends on the room size on the number of speakers needed to cover the area. I previously had a 5.1 and this setup is clearly better. My system is used 50/50 for music/TV and movies. HT is so personal that it all depends on what you feel you need and can afford. Over kill is common on this forum, lol.

There are NO 7.1 digital signal! It means the two back speakers are using a mixed signal from the surround speakers to fill in a bigger room.

Wow. This is just wrong. There are plenty of discrete 7.1 movie soundtracks -- in PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA. Two that come to mind immediately are the 7.1 soundtracks on Super 8 and Thor.

Here's a comprehensive list of Blu-rays with discrete 7.1 soundtracks: http://blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1