Harmony remotes

The Dude

My wife and kids learning curve was quick as well! Congrats!

I just set up an old H659 harmony remote on Saturday (got it for 20 on kijjiji) for my 70 yr old pops and hecalled today to say its been a god send and has it learned already.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my 900!! So user friendly when learning new remotes and setting up macros. I stayed away from the 1100 because I like the traditional remote "feel".

Also, the 900 has the red, green, blue, yellow buttons like cable remotes. Nice feature for interfacing with DVR menus and such.

One has red green blue yellow for dvr but as touch buttons.

I love my Harmony 1100 and it has great WAF too. The only thing I might add to the equation is the RF kit so you don't have to actually point the Harmony at the devices. Sometimes when the wife is reclined in the sofa she has to hold the remote up to peek over the coffee table otherwise the line of site IR codes don't make it to the devices.

Love the setup process where you just tell it what brand and model equipment you have and it asks you a few questions and then automatically sets everything up for you. The wife absolutely loves the fact that the other 5 remotes are tucked away and she only has to use one remote now. It's all touch screen and she can figure out everything on her own. Easy peasy. A winner all around.

• 1 month later...

This is a little bit off the subject, but does anyone use a Samsung Galaxy or I Pad to control their equipment and for streaming? I have been looking at this option as well as the Harmony Remotes. It seem like if there is an app for the device it should work.

This is a little bit off the subject, but does anyone use a Samsung Galaxy or I Pad to control their equipment and for streaming?

I use both my ipad and iphone to control my avr. The iControlAV app is pretty sweet for on the fly adjustments. My avr is also airplay enabled which is great for streaming from either handheld as well as any other pc, etc. on my network.

This past weekend I was at BB and seen a Samsung Galaxy for $249 which is about the cost of some of the remotes. I have a Samsung TV and BD player which is why I wondered if it would work. My avr has an internet contol and I don't need any controls for the amps. When I was at a custom audio store the guy was using an I Pad to control and stream music to the system.

• Moderators

There is a certain cool factor to having a large touch screen remote. Now that I have owned my Harmony One for awhile, I have learned that although the LCD is cool, I tend to use the hard buttons when I can because it's just quicker to operate than to go through menus. With the Harmony One, it only fits 6 buttons per page on the LCD so sometimes you have to scroll to another page to get to that button. With a much larger remote like the iPad, you probably do not have that problem. Fortunately, with the Harmony One, you can rearrange the buttons and move the most used functions to the first and second page of the LCD screen.