JBL 4311B

sean5340

Rotate the L-pad back and forth and see if they come in.

Replace L-pad with 50W unit if bad, recone 2105 (mid) if open.

Replace the tweeter L-pad if replacing the mid L-pad, a 15W (the stock size) is OK for the tweeter.

Sean,

Replacing the L-pads, working on the crossovers requires carefully removing the foilcal (thin aluminum with the logo), removing two screws that hold the crossover/L-pads against the front of the cabs. The crossover is then removed from the cab after pulling out the woofer. BTW, the woofer is recessed slightly. Once removing the screws you must carefully tilt the cab to removed the woofer.

The glue has dried out so much on my 4311s that I can just pull the foilcals off without bending them.

Bruce

I can understand why JBL has a loyal following like Klipsch does. Yes they do sound different than the LaScalas. I think it is a good different. Not necessarily better but different. I can't imagine the stock mids could sound much better than these. These are keepers. I don't think I'll bother changing the mids back out.

Sean

The mids can break up at higher volumes (perhaps not the Yamaha drivers), but to me they sound like a quieter Heresy II.

The crossovers in these mostly let the drivers roll off on their own.

I still have mine from '72, and all the drivers still work. I need new foam rings around the tweters, they have turned to dust. Only one dome pushed in on a tweeter (my daughter did that when she was little).

Glad you are enjoying them.

Bruce

I have a pair of H1s and a pair of 4311s, running in the same setup powered by a Mirantz integrated. They compliment each other very well and the sum of the two speakers is greater than either on their own, very pleasing sound.

The combo is keeping my 45,000 cubic foot shop (30'x75'x20') well supplied in high quality sound. I have had several people into my shop and remark that my sound system in there is better than what they have at home, I think I agree [:D]

After ABing the LS and JBLs to death the LS are much better. There is something about the JBLs that I really like though. Anyway, I am now listening with both pairs running and the results are better than either individually. I can't quite put my finger on it but I like it.

post-23379-1381969155968_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well I'm moving and have sold my LaScalas to a forum member. Bitter sweet. I'm glad a Klipsch head got them but sad to see them go. The JBL 4311's are my main speakers now. These sound really nice and they'll do fine for now. I think I'll try some Klipsch Reference next. 63's maybe? Any thoughts?

I would have loved your LS, and wanted to at least get a pair for the music room at the college where I work. Alas, it was not to be. I'm sorry you have to downsize, too.

The 4311s should serve you well until you can get some Klipsch back in your life.

Bruce