Computer help, before I screw the pooch.

Brac

So, I have been planning on upgrading my boot drive to an SSD, and I finally got one. I had thought I would be able to just copy my boot drive with my new Hard Drive Dock/Duplicator. However it seems because the new drive is smaller than the old it won't do it. New drive is a sandisk extreme 120gb. I'd really rather not re-install everything. What are my options? Thanks

install the drives as master slave, boot from a bootable cd, use a program like ghost to copy the drives, ghost will resize destination as long as the source will fit

install the drives as master slave, boot from a bootable cd, use a program like ghost to copy the drives, ghost will resize destination as long as the source will fit

That's the ticket. A free option would be to download a free partition resize util and resize the HDD partition to less than the SSD. Then use another freebie imaging tool to image to the SSD.

Never tried short formatting a larger drive to match a smaller one for D>D copy, but that might work.

PITA. There are a number of ways to do it, but all are PITA.

Dave

the ghost software works . the only gotcha when using disk clone programs is that at the end of the copy process they offer a reboot which you should do.....but.....you should shut the computer down once the screen clears and before the computer starts to read the disks. if you let the system boot up with both cloned drives....the os will label the cloned drive as a D: drive and when you move it to a new machine, it will still be labeled as a D: drive.

So far, lots of work, little progress. I used Gparted an made the C drive 60gb (partition). Then tried with clonzilla to image and put on the ssd. The write failed, so back to the drawing board....

Well that was a bit of a learning experience. I am now running SSD. Final procedure, was gparted to reduce the size of the old boot drive, the it took a few tries but clonzilla was able to make an image of just the partition, which went to a 500gb srort term, then from there to the new SSD again using Clonzilla. BTW____scored a pair of Forte I's today. Very nice shape.

using a boot time utility, I get 24.6 seconds, but if I look at just the time after the bios, when the HD would have effect it is like 8 seconds. Running any of the MS Office programs Word, Excel or Publisher they are open and ready as soon as you hit the button :) Best Upgrade Ever! Thanks for the advise

So can I just plug the old C drive into the dock and format it, or will it confuse everything when it gets plugged in? Things are good, don't wanna go backwards....

If it is the one you cloned to the SSD, label it and put it away for a rainy day. Nothing like being able to simply R&R a drive when Window pulls it's inevitable FU...

Dave