Naked Rega

Lonelobo

I find myself waiting on a NOS Rega P5 table (that needs a tonearm) to arrive. I'm getting the table at a significant discount and can have an RB-101 arm installed for a rather paltry sum to give me a working table that should be quite an improvement over my current setup. But the RB-101 is their entry level arm. Anyone have any advice? I can get a Moth 700 series (what would normally come with the P5) for around $600 but alas I don't have $600 to spend on an arm at the moment. I do have a Grace 707 and an SME 3009 arm in the closet, but the REGA is already drilled for a Rega arm. Who has an incredibly clever idea as to how I should proceed?

I'm having a blast with cheap audio gear. Just upgraded to a Panasonic SA XR 55 amp and Bellari phono preamp. The Bellari has a horrible hum and is getting replaced, but aside from the hum it sounds just fabulous with an upgraded tube. With any luck, I'll be coming to Jazz Fest again this year. Any chance you'll make it?

Hey Lonelobo....

I would suggest the REGA RB250... about $225 and really a very fine arm with a lot of adjustments ( I just put one on my Townshend Rock 7 table ($4k) and see no need to upgrade.... I auditioned 5 different arms and due to the "trough and suspention of the rock 7, a more expensive arm did nothing....

now thats not apples to apples with the P5.... but the RB250 is a great way to start and put your money into a good cart...

Which brings up another point. I have at my disposal the following carts:

Stanton 681EEE

Shure V15-III

ADC ZLM

Who likes what and be aware that I'm running out of budget quickly. I'm trying to sell a pair of Alon II's to finance some of this, but I don't know if I'll be successful.

I've found a Rega RB250 arm on craigslist in East Duluth for $125 but the party hasn't responded to my query to ship to Texas. Any forum members up there in Minnesota willing to grab it for me and ship it down?

Considering I'm on a run of bad luck, I find myself in a unusual but appreciated situation. My craigslist RB250 deal is going to come thru. So, I'll be getting a brand new in the box P5 (with a backwards logo) and a used RB250 for a grand total of $400. Mind you, that's the most I've spent on new gear besides my Frazier Model 11's. On the other hand a new P5 (w/a RB700 arm and a normal logo) was around $1300. Plus, with the older RB250 I won't have to screw into the plinth to install the new Rega 3 point base.

Wish me luck....even with this deal, I'm in the serious red...