Where the heck is everybody? :-)

Tom,

I am well aware of that...but in the early 70's the only two bores in that Poncho big block remaining in the line-up were the 400 and 455. The 400 tended to be the more dependable of that block series...with more than enough power without having to bump it up to 455. The crank main bearing journals were larger in the block for the 455 crank, due to its beefier big ends, but other than that, the blocks were basically the same. Pontiac adopted the "chevy" 350 at the same time the rest of GM cars did, although reluctantly...by '74, most of the GM cars had them...as a matter of fact, GM had a major class-action lawsuit filed against it over the introduction of chevy 350's into the rest of its marques...a lawsuit they lost!!

Of course, most know that the 350 chevy block was a small block evolved from the original 283...and had numerous displacement changes over the years...but in its 350 displacement, it has gone down in history as the most-produced V8 of any in history!!

My personal preference in Chevy engines has always been the 283 and the 327!

My '60 Studebaker Lark 8 had a golden line version of Chevy's old 265 V8 block in it...that was a good little engine in its day!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-25-2002 at 12:13 PM

Isn't it great how threads like this just take on a life of their own? Smile.gif

Wes - The ZR-1 only came in coupe form and was manufactured from 1990 to 1995. They built close to 5,000 of them in the first two years combined, and around 2,000 during the last 4 years for a total of just under 7,000. The rear end was 3" wider than the standard coupe, so that they could fit 315/35 tires on 17 x 11 inch wheels. The fronts are 275/40 mounted on 17 x 9.5 inch wheels.

All ZR-1's came with the manual 6-speed tranny hooked up to a Dana 44 rear-end using a 3.45 gear ratio. They all had the LT5 motor, which was developed by Lotus and manufactured by Mercury Marine in Stillwater, Oklahoma. The 90 - 92 models had 375 HP (flywheel) and the 93 - 95 models were bumped up to 405 HP (flywheel). This is a 350 DOHC (4 cams) motor with a pretty restrictive exhaust making that power. I have some friends who are making over 380 RWHP with just intake, larger throttle body, full length headers, exhaust and chip. A very impressive car for sure.

They have bottomed out price wise and now is the time to buy. I have wanted one for 10 years and hope to own one some day in the not to distant future. Smile.gif BTW, never heard of Sea Level. Is it worth getting?

Phish - Thanks for the compliment. You're right about the gearhead part. I'm not one either as my brother-in-law did all the work on my car. I do like to drive it, however. Smile.gif

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

They all had the LT5 motor, which was developed by Lotus and manufactured by Mercury Marine in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

I've always found that funny because the engine that went in the first Ford Taurus SHO's were made by Yamaha's Marine Division.

cwm11.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-26-2002 at 12:13 AM

Mike,

Thanks...they are unique & very sharp vettes. Sea Level's musical style and lyrics were similar to Pablo Cruise, that's why I asked. On The Edge was their second and last release to my knowledge. I like it.

dndphishin,

I not a gear head either. Can do regular maintenance like fluid chgs, spark plugs/wires, filter and exchange ignition components. Beyond that, I'm a real knuckle buster and shy away from major repair work. But I a car and cycle lover. Too bad my bank account doesn't match my enthusiasm!cwm36.gif

Tom,

I had forgotten that little known fact about Yamaha Marine engines in earlier SHO's.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-26-2002 at 05:59 AM

Mike, jeez, where did this weekend go? Hey, you're on ... just inherited the entire southeast, PR and Brazil, not to mention the north-central territory (Chicago over to the Dakotas down to Tex-Arkana). God, I hope there are folks reading this in that territory. Need a little grounding out there. Help!!

Anyway, not sure where Orvieto is, but sign me up. Think I've played 5 rounds this year ... get this ... 84, 78, 81, 75, 78. 79. How's that for consistency? Same guy, different day.

We gotta figure out a way to get more of us together. And I agree ... get a thread started and see where it goes ... Doesn't it make sense that folks into music like we are -- are into the sweet sound of a V8 at 5400 rpm?

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

Oviedo is just 10 minutes NE of Orlando. There is a lot of good golf down here and the rates are outstanding in the summer. Just to let you know, I have a couple of spare bedrooms, and you are welcome anytime. BTW, I think we would be a pretty good match against one another. Those are some pretty good scores for just getting out 5 or 6 times this year.

If you want, shoot me an Email at mlindsey@dewberry.com and I will pass along my phone numbers. I know Edster would like to get down and play some as well. My girlfriend is from Rockland, Maine, so maybe I can drop in on you as well. Will be up there in August for a week or so. How far is that from you?

Mike

I was listeing to my stereo all weekend, forgot about the internet...! "james brown, live at the apollo"...brought to life via k-horns, dynaco mkIVs and a Marantz 7T preamp...audio bliss in Central America....

I played golf once. Shot 77 over cwm1.gif I did hit onto the green on a par 3 in one shot. I then proceeded to hook my next tee shot over 3 fairways. Game is too hard for me.

ZR1's are sweet automobiles indeed. A little too much $$$ for me though. I'm looking into a used f-body, but it must have a 6 speed and t-tops. No V6's though.

A-ha....here's where all the good discussions are.

HDBR....is that '72 a 4wd? My other hobby is my '71 GMC Jimmy. Bought it stock over 15 years ago. Trashed the 1/2T running gear and replaced with 1T Detroit Locker (rear), 3/4T front. 4.56 gears. Still on the hunt for that elusive Dana 60 1Ton front end. Trashed the 350 4-bolt and promptly went out and bought the BB454 GM crate motor. TH350 tranny has been upgraded to TH400. 36" tires, 8-pt roll cage, piped all around. Last weekend installed the Edelbrock Performer - 2 and a Holley 750 double pumper. Most important and beneficial upgrade to date? Sliding Side Windows!!

Big blocks and Big Khorns........aaaahhhhh...

------------------

Ed

Edwardre,

Nope...that 72 pick-up is a C10 Custom...long wide bed...matter of fact...it was the VERY LAST one produced in that body style...my dad first ordered it in May of 72...he was told in June he couldn't get a 72 because the tooling for the 73's were already in place...he told dealer that he didn't want a 73...and he would continue driving his 64 Chevy stepside...so the dealer pulled some strings and they built one more 72 up from parts...at the factory...it arrived at the dealership three weeks after the debut of the 73 models...in late October!! LOL! Ya gotta wonder if any dealer could pull strings like that in today's corporate environment!!! Smile.gif BTW...it is also one of only about 500 built in 72 with genuine factory air...not as good on the gas mileage as the dealer add-on air...because it was actually a climate control system...like in the Oldsmobile 98's of that year...the compressor remains kicked in full-time...even when the heater is on!!!

I sure would love to have an old 72 GMC "Jimmy" to go with it!! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDBR,

Just so happens I do have a spare unit in the garage. It's not a '72 Jimmy, but should actually compliment your '72 CST C10 Chevy better......it's a '72 CST Blazer with factory air!! It is whole except for the motor. Needs a pain job as well but the body is unblemisied. I didn't need it but the price was so right I couldn't pass on it. You just cannot find 68-72 Jimmy/Blazers nowadays that folks don't want your firstborn for, let alone a 'parts rig' of that year/type. Has 3/4T detroit locker rear end and 3/4T suspension throughout. Looks like the guy who had it last put a BB in it as it has the drop down crossmember to accomodate the deeper oil pan. 35" tires with about 75% life left, this thing is tall and proud.

Initially OK'd by the family CFO as a 'parts rig', it was just in too good condition to rip into (like parting out a heritage) so I had thought to make that my 'future project'. However, now the missus is yammering and pestering to 'get that thing out of the garage....it's just taking up space'. 'But sweetheart, it's a '72CST K5 w/factory air!!!' She returns the same look I get from her when we have the twice yearly 'discussion' about large heritage speakers.....

Send me an e-mail if you want to talk turkey. For now, it's not going anywhere.

------------------

Ed

Mike, been on the road a few days so I'm just checking in.

Heck, if you're near Orlando that should be a no-brainer. We should be able to arrange some floggin' action, no problemo. Maybe I could grab a customer and underwrite a nice afternoon.

If you're up in ME, we're not far. Lancaster is about 35 miles west of Boston in northern Worcester County. Play at Sterling CC, which is a really nice target track ... about 136 from the back tees; not really long at 6400 yards but is challenging. Bring your sticks, your sweetie, and spend the night.

Work number is 800-922-7667 x224. I'll be around this coming week. Give me a call to chat.

Great posts on this thread. Definitely in the Top 15.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD