SOLD 1988 La Scala new to me, questions w/pics SOLD

rad500cad

I have never heard LS before and these were only a 30 minute drive one way from me, usually it's a 45 min drive shhh? don't tell anybody LOL. And yes they both fit in the back of my Focus station wagon.

All drivers work but my biggest fear is finding something of the smelly kind that should not be there in between the motorboard and the front side of the k33e well so far so good only dust bunnys and a small plastic pellet, good no damage done. Haven't checked the other one yet.

While i had the driver out i losened the connectors at the top of the bass bin and moved them around a bit to get a better connection then tightend them, if that will help any? and measeured the driver it's 3.7 ohm.

Would it help to put some of the sealant tape around the dog house (for possibly better bass response) in addition to what's around the edge? in pic #4

Anything else i could do while i got it open?

Pictures later as i try to remember how to post them... oh ahhh that could be awhile LOL! where is the stiky on how to post them.

Thanks, Ben.

They look nice.

You're brave to run home and open them up. Was there a problem or were you just curious?

You asked,

"Would it help to put some of the sealant tape around the dog house (for possibly better bass response) in addition to what's around the edge? in pic #4

Anything else i could do while i got it open?"

The seal at the edges should be fine. Some people rotate the woofers 90 - 180 degrees. I added extra T-nuts and screws to secure the woofers. Of the original 4 per speaker, some were loose. While 8 screws was deemed too costly by Klipsch, it's no great expense for you.

They look nice.

You're brave to run home and open them up. Was there a problem or were you just curious?

You asked,

"Would it help to put some of the sealant tape around the dog house (for possibly better bass response) in addition to what's around the edge? in pic #4

Anything else i could do while i got it open?"

The seal at the edges should be fine. Some people rotate the woofers 90 - 180 degrees. I added extra T-nuts and screws to secure the woofers. Of the original 4 per speaker, some were loose. While 8 screws was deemed too costly by Klipsch, it's no great expense for you.

No problems with them just makeing sure there were no critters living between the motor board and woofer i couldn't get a mirror in there from the front good enough to see.

Thanks, Ben.

I finished checking the second one and only found dust bunnys and spider webs the DCR was also 3.7, i said earlier they are K33e well they're K33 with AL crossovers.

Neil (DizRotus) when i saw that there were only 4 screws (T-nuts) holding the woofer i thought the samething but i'm going to leave it as is if there is any sign of rattleing then i'll put 4 more in.
Thank you Gary and Schu for your compliments i had been keeping an eye open for about 5 years for some like this, there were lots of black ones or really rough ones, these are from original owner and all stock.
How tite should the squaker be? i could loosen them with useing just thumb and one finger (very very little effort) is there a certain amount, say from contact give it another 1/16 of a turn?
Thanks, Ben.
Ahh! somehow i hit the italics and can't turn it off, and lost the spacing function. Oh yeh??.... a few more hair just fell out.

Nice color good looking pair. So tighten things up (I would sdd the hardware to the woofer) fire them up and tell us what you think of them. I have been waiting for the mini review since you first posted your pictures. Congratulations on your new to you loudspeakers. Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray

I've been listening to them for a few days now in the very cluttered garage standing about 8 feet from them they have a muffled sound like a rag is stuffed in the horns compared to my forte IIs, the bass is okay concidering i've only got an early 80's 90watt pch technics int amp and a cheap cd player hooked to them now. I don't want to take my Luxman M-02 and C-02 out there, i have them running my forte IIs.

I know, i can change caps or go with titainium diaphragms, i had the same sound from my heresy IIs i changed the caps in one cabnet and listened to them and couldn't hear an improvment. I do have a 1963 Dynaco st70 all original, Sony strv6, Nikko nr1219 that i can try but they need work first.

Thanks, Ben.

Patience is a virtue. Did they sound like this at the vendors home? Chances of your diaphragms and drivers being the issue is very small though as you said betters diaphragms and or drivers would not hurt. Could be crossover parts (caps) but clean all your crossover connections and see what that does first. I recently got some Peavey SP1's and an additional pair of CH-1 horns. I am running them as mids on a pair of H3's sitting vertically on top the sound is excellent. You can find these horns for $50.00 each they would make a fine two way. I plan to throw them up on top of my KLF20 with a CF3 crossover and comp drivers in the next few days. So far the thought of going back to smaller horns is well a small thought and getting smaller all the time. An EV HR9040 sitting vertically on top of a La Scalla would be very nice. A big two way in close quarters would work very well. Best regards Moray James