Jubilee vs 942-4

Vital

Like the title says: What bass bin do you prefer and why with the 402 horn on top? I think this will be the year I purchase Jubes and want to know your thoughts on the two. Have you heard both and which do you prefer and why? Pros and cons of both? Which would you buy?

• Moderators

Like the title says: What bass bin do you prefer and why with the 402 horn on top? I think this will be the year I purchase Jubes and want to know your thoughts on the two. Have you heard both and which do you prefer and why? Pros and cons of both? Which would you buy?

Just my opinion, I am not trained to listen for certain things, I just go by overall sound, many here can give you better descriptions and why, I just listen to the music.

I can't remember if I heard the 942, it was one of those direct radiator models but I don't recall which one, and i wouldn't have had enough time listening to help with that question.

As far as the 402 horn or the smaller 510 horn I have heard both enough to have somewhat of an answer. The 510 is very nice, especially if it pointed directly at you, then it is closer to the 402. The 402 fills the room width much better and to me sounds much more like what I wanted.

When listening the first few times I was seated almost on the side wall halfway back in the room and the 402 easily sounded great to the side wall where I was. In the same room with the stock K400 horn I was way to the side of where it sounded best, it just did not have as wide a coverage as the 402 by alot. Also it was not even close to sounding the same to put it nicely.

If you are thinking about any model like this my first and definite choice would be the 402 horn, no question.

I don't know if you have seen the pic of our living room but it's 24' wide and 18' deep with a TV between the speakers which are on an angle. I can walk to within 2 feet of the Tv and still have it sound like the sound is from the center when each speaker is almost directly to the side of me, the 402 has that much width to the sound.

About 3 weeks ago I moved the 402 horn to the side and put a copy of a split LaScala top half on each set of bass bins to compare since it has been a couple of years of having the 402's. I just wanted to compare since it had been a while. I was quickly reminded why I wanted the 402's after a couple of days I switched them back I had heard enough, it wasn't even close.

It's hard to explain what i am hearing in words except that we are VERY happy with the sound.

We chose the 402 horn but went with different bass bins, it was my wife and daughters choice. They heard a couple of designs and when the 402 with the MWM was played for the first time together ever they were there, and it was only one speaker in mono. They both turned and looked at me and both said at the same time " that's what we want", i thought they were kidding considering the size but there weren't.

Sorry for going on so long........wish I could help with technical reasons and answers but that's not me. [:|]

Thanks for the reply, yes I am sure I want the 402 just from reading things like you just posted. So you decided to go with the MWM, those things are huge and awesome! I am curious about the slam factor of the 942-4 vs the folded woofer. I thought I read somewhere that the folded woofers didn't produce enough bass for some people, not sure if this included the big Jubes and MWMs. I understand the folded woofer will be smoother with less distortion but how much slam factor and hard hitting bass do you lose with this "if any" vs something like the 942-4?

A 942-4-T would do what you are looking for. it sounds like you are a direct radiator bass kind of guy, so no reason to talk about distortion and things like that. The 942 would be loafing to produce huge amounts of bass with great presence. The other option would be a 942-T with a 684 subwoofer. The 684 is a great sub and could be easily crossed well up into the slam zone when wanted and left off other times.

I have copied and pasted the specs for the two LF units below as set out in the Cinema Brochure.

The Legend needs to be read in front of each line.

I have not heard either system as yet.

I have bought the Jubilee System with the KPT-KHJ-LF and the KPT-402-HF fitted with the K69 driver configuration as recommended by Roy.

I have bought a pair of new LaScala in 1976 and I'm familiar with a fully horn loaded system.

I have sound mixed bands through numerous fully horn loaded and also direct radiator systems over the years. Many different brands configurations and sizes. Fully horn loaded Quad 4 way systems are very powerful no compromise.

For me the "fully" horn loaded system has less overall distortion and for me the experience is more realistic and instantaneous.

For me the ported or bass reflex systems are slightly smudged. They sound excellent and most of the time I'm mixing bands through Bass reflex systems.

When I get home and then listen to my LaScala I get that instantaneous exactness, like the sharp edges are still sharp and for me additional bass extension is of secondary importance to those sharp edges remaining intact.

I think it's very personal.

The Jubilee is a 400watt and the 415 is 1600watt. I believe that's the continuous power handling but it gives you an idea of the amplifier requirements.

The "calculated" max output is 128db for the Jubilee and 133db for the 415. So on that basis you gain 3db each time you double your speaker so 2 jubilee gets 131db and 4 jubilee gets 134db.

So the calculation is approximate and other factors can impact that as I have noted people say a jubilee is very equal to a 415 so power compression could be a factor.

The 415 is outstanding for it's size and type as is the Jubilee so your choice is between a pair of best performers.

The Jubilee being horn loaded will properly corner load. As far as I'm aware, a bass reflex design is not as successful in a corner as a horn loaded design. A sealed or infinite baffle is more successful in a corner than a bass reflex design, as far as I'm aware.

Considering everything I could only choose the Jubilee.

****************************Legend:

Frequency Response1

Power Handling2

Calc. Max. Cont. Output3

Sensitivity4

Coverage

DI

Q

Nominal Impedance

Transducers

Input Connectors

Height

Width

Depth

Weight

1. 3M, Half-space anechoic

2. AES Standard, continuous pink noise 40Hz-10kHz, 6dB peaks

3. Calculated at 1M half-space at power handling power input

4. SPL at 1M, half-space anechoic with 2.83V input

*******************Jubilee LF

KPT-KHJ-LF

45Hz-800Hz ± 4dB

34Hz-1kHz -10dB

200 watts (40.5V) per woofer 40Hz-800Hz

128dB

105dB

Horizontal 90° ± 20° 200Hz-1kHz

Vertical 90° ± 20° 200Hz-600Hz

8dB ± 2dB 200Hz-800Hz

8 ohms (4.1 min. @ 120Hz)

woofers wired in parallel

Two K-1080-KP 12" woofers

Barrier strip

40.0" (101.6cm)

41.5" (105cm)

24.5" (62.23cm)

180 lbs. (82kg)

*************************KPT-942-4-T "LF unit"

KPT-415-LF

43Hz-750Hz ± 3dB

26Hz-900Hz -10dB

800 watts (58V) per woofer pair 40Hz-800Hz

133dB

107dB

Horizontal 90° ± 30° 200Hz-1kHz

Vertical 60° ± 30° 300Hz-3kHz

8dB ± 2dB 200Hz-600Hz

8 ohms (4 min. @ 150Hz) per woofer pair

Top and bottom woofer in parallel and middle pair in parallel

Four K-45-EP 15" woofers

Barrier Strip

48.75" (123.83cm)

35.75" (90.8cm)

22.5" (57.15cm)

200 lbs. (91kg)

btw don't forget that in a corner the Jubilee is very compact and will somewhat shrink in apparent size where as the 942-4-T will be 2 inches closer to a flat wall but huge by comparison in a corner due to the Jubilee being almost a triangle.

• Moderators

Thanks guys I couldn't give a comparison with only a very little listing time. I do like the folded horn sound myself but it's just like you said, a personal choice and would not want any more "slam factor" than what I have now. Like you said they are big, about twice as wide as the Jube or any other model bass bin Klipsch makes.

But what I really like about the MWM and the Jube is even at high volume (for a house) which is not alot of watts per channel at all they sound like they are just cruising never strained, effortless bass.

One thing about the commercial speakers that is great is they are designed to handle many WPC, with what it takes to get to say 100 DB in a house is only a fraction of what they are capable of, so your getting very low distortion even at high volumes in a house. They sound huge even at normal or low volume.

Thanks rodrocket, very informative! I'm not by any means a bass head, I just want to make sure the Jube will produce what I'm looking for which I'm sure it does. I had no idea the Jube was that close to the 415 in output. Pretty awesome! I hope to be able to make this purchase around Aug/Sep of this year.

I've heard both in the listening room next to the chamber at Hope.

My impressions: the 415 bass bin has a lot of bass authority and heavy bass, probably a bit lower than the KHJ-KPT-LF Jubilee bass bins if the 415s are in the corners - as they were in the setting that I heard them. However, that's not the kind of bass that I like. I noted, for instance, that JC really liked the 415s, especially when playing the urban contemporary-type bass disk that Roy demo'ed. If you like Cornwall bass over Khorn bass, you'd probably like the 415s.

But those 415 bass bins are LARGE boxes: if you think that Cornwall boxes are big, you've got another paradigm to digest for the 415s. The K-402s are also very high off the floor if the 415s are upright instead of laying down on their sides.

Chris