Like-New Klipsch RF-7II 5.0 (no woofer) System $2,295!!

AudioAddicted

I can't devote any more than $3,000 toward the 5.1 system in total, because I also need a new receiver with the power and featured to drive them and offer the bluray clarity desired... as well as the new 3D HDTV.

The RF-82 looks like the best 5.1 system I can do buying new from an Authorized Retailer at a great price.

I got the system in my sig for $3135 (minus the AVR) and got quoted the same system with the SW-112 for a little less than $3000. I got it local, but I'm fairly certain you can find at least as good or better of a price if you shop around. So if you don't go with the RB-81 IIs for the rear, that should knock another big chunk of money off. I don't remember how much they were exactly tho, probably around $600 to $650 or so for the pair...

I keep wondering about the SW-115, my living room is only 14 x 9 (it's long, which is nice for a theater, but not very wide) so 15'' of raw bass might be much? I don't know, maybe you can never have too much bass as long as it's nice and right and ADDS to the movie/music experience rather than overdoing it.

Also, after talking with Mike Embers at Acoustic Sound Design, he REALLY 'sold' me on the idea of saving money by going for the RF-82 system minus the SW-112 subwoofer, and in stead going with his PL-200 600-1,000 watt subwoofer, since it has the same BASH amplifier inside, as well as even more power handling. He was VERY confident it would sound better and would be half the price. Now, I do know that of course he's getting that subwoofer, which he said was designed by "Dr. Sub" (?) at a severe discount, so in the end he's making more (by selling the other Klipsch speakers with it)... but I didn't get the impression I'd be losing much, if ANY bass/low end frequency by going with the PL-200 model. He said it was more sub for less money, and people get too hung up on the logo on the front (Klipsch) and pay more because of it so they all match.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after talking with Mike Embers at Acoustic Sound Design, he REALLY 'sold' me on the idea of saving money by going for the RF-82 system minus the SW-112 subwoofer, and in stead going with his PL-200 600-1,000 watt subwoofer, since it has the same BASH amplifier inside, as well as even more power handling. He was VERY confident it would sound better and would be half the price. Now, I do know that of course he's getting that subwoofer, which he said was designed by "Dr. Sub" (?) at a severe discount, so in the end he's making more (by selling the other Klipsch speakers with it)... but I didn't get the impression I'd be losing much, if ANY bass/low end frequency by going with the PL-200 model. He said it was more sub for less money, and people get too hung up on the logo on the front (Klipsch) and pay more because of it so they all match.

I've heard decent things about that sub. I've also heard a lot of people say the same thing about the Klipsch subs. I got mine as part of the package deal, so I got a decent price on the 115. I dunno, I'm sure I'll be plenty satisfied with it.

Yeah I don't think Mike would purposefully steer me in the totally wrong direction, even though of course it makes sense for him to direct me toward the PL-200 sub that a couple online distributr's "give away" in their 5.1 systems. All in all, the RF-82's when driven with 130+ watts per channel (especially the front) will produce enough rich sound in their own right. Thanks guys!! :)

• 3 months later...

Hiya guys, I'm "back" and glad to be so!

I ended up getting a
new vehicle a few months back when I was deep in research on the new 5.1
system I wanted to get. I am still totally convinced I'll be going with
Klipsch, just unsure if I still want to devote a couple/few thousands
of dollars toward the speakers now... or if I should get something more
conservative that will still be a huge improvement on my setup now, and
wait a couple years until Klipsch releases something brand new and
ground breaking that is perhaps still in research and development right
now?

Does anyone know if they have anything new on the horizon? Thanks as always gents.

Just out of curiosity... what would be the ABSOLUTE BEST 5.1 system I could get for "around" $2,000? :)

If your talking about under or around a grand fOr just the speakers and no avr you are talking the rf-42ii setup or might be able two swing the rb-51 with the rc-52 and rs-41's for that price. Or buy used. piece together what you really want. A grand will def get you ye rf-82ii and then you can go from there. Can go for a while without the sub as well.

If your talking about under or around a grand fOr just the speakers and no avr you are talking the rf-42ii setup or might be able two swing the rb-51 with the rc-52 and rs-41's for that price. Or buy used. piece together what you really want. A grand will def get you ye rf-82ii and then you can go from there. Can go for a while without the sub as well.

Thank you! I keep thinking to myself... just WAIT, and do the RF-82II's! I have an amazing price quote from Mike at ASD from months ago I'm sure is still good, so I will just save up and wait. Grrr... if I wasn't so addicted to horsepower! :)

RF 35's are also much less expensive that RF 7 ii and have a great sound

I'm with Derek and agree the RF 35's are a quality people overlook.

It took some patience but I seem to have put together a quality used 5.0 set up then added sub later.

RF35's 400

RC 64 450

RB 81's 150. (got lucky)

Thanks Derrick and Ajoker, sounds like solid advice. The RF-35's are just the discontinued predecessor to the newer RF-82's?

I have been using those sites that let you search ALL of Craig's List in the USA at once, which is awesome, but still coming up short a little bit, plus, I don't know if I can trust someone to be honest who lives on the West coast for example and pay them to ship, so... bleh.

RF 35's are also much less expensive that RF 7 ii and have a great sound

I'm with Derek and agree the RF 35's are a quality people overlook.
It took some patience but I seem to have put together a quality used 5.0 set up then added sub later.
RF35's 400
RC 64 450
RB 81's 150. (got lucky)

Very nice system, especially with that killer amp form Bill, lol.[;)]

The RF-35's are just the discontinued predecessor to the newer RF-82's?..... I don't know if I can trust someone to be honest who lives on the West coast for example and pay them to ship, so... bleh.

The 35's are RF III line and replaced by the RF82 iv.

I have bought 2 subs, RF64, Amp, Rf61's off forum members here in US without hesitation and will continue too. But I do understand the trepidation in some cases.

Best of luck with the search !

Taken directly from the Craigslist site:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Yeah, I figured as much! Shucks... I'm not exactly in a 'hot bed' area for Klipsch. Oh well, no harm done. I'll just have to wait it out until it's time to pay in full, and not stress out about interest on a credit card. Thanks everyone! :) I'll be back sometimes next year, see you all then. If by that time nothing new has been released by Klipsch, I'm going with the RF-82 system, probably from Acoustic Sound Design, unless I can get a local retail authorized shop to price-match what's-his-name's quote (Mike?) the owner over there.

They say once you go black, you never go back. So far, it has been the opposite for me with speakers. I used to prefer black, but when I got my new speakers in cherry, they really grew on me. It made me physically ill knowing that you were planning on painting them.

The RF-82 system would be good. I would suggest looking at other brands of subs though. I would still be on the lookout for a pair of used RF-83s, RF-63s, or RF-7s though. They would all get you noticeably better performance for around the same price if you go used. I would also advise you to look at other brands of subs as well. An Epik Empire would fit very nicely into your budget without breaking the bank.

I have had some good luck going used and there are always so many great deals on used speakers to be had, it's hard for me to even consider buying new.

That makes sense. It's never a bad thing to try and match the rest of your room I guess lol. My walls are maize (almost bright yellow) and my carpet dark blue (I am a huge University of Michigan football fan) so trying to match speakers to the room for me is kind of useless.

From what I read on the forum, and Youthman had a very good post doing a back to back comparison on the RF-83's and RF-7's is the 83's tend to have more of a laid back sound where the RF-7's are more in your face. If memory serves me correctly, he also decided the 83's sounded better under weaker conditions (lower quality amp, receiver, etc...) than the RF-7. When he added higher quality components, the RF-7's started to sound better. I also believe the RF-7 is usually quite a bit cheaper if that helps sway your decision.

I think the main reason I got the RF-83's was because I used to lust over them at an audio store I used to frequent, but were out of my price range until I found a good set on Audiogon. I also liked the RC-64 more than the RC-7, or maybe I just like the look of having more woofers. One last thing that comes to mind that I notice some people have trouble with is placement. If you are going to be somewhat limited on where you can place your speakers, the RF-83's seem to be a bit more room friendly on where you place them. I hope I didn't give you too much to consider, either way you should be very happy. I/We just don't want you having the "What If's" or upgradeitus.

• Moderators

From what I read on the forum, and Youthman had a very good post doing a back to back comparison on the RF-83's and RF-7's is the 83's tend to have more of a laid back sound where the RF-7's are more in your face.

Correct

If memory serves me correctly, he also decided the 83's sounded better under weaker conditions (lower quality amp, receiver, etc...) than the RF-7. When he added higher quality components, the RF-7's started to sound better.

You have a bad memory. [:P] Just kidding. Not quite sure I said that since I only switched speakers during the A/B test. I would have to go back and see when I purchased the Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro from the previous Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. When I did the first A/B comparison (Maple RF7's with my RF-83's), maybe I had the Yamaha. I know I had the UMC-1 when I later compared the Black RF7's with my RF-83's.

Anyhow, here were two threads where I compared the RF-7's to the RF-83's.

Maple RF-7's in the House

A New Love and Appreciation for the RF-7's