La Scala Problem, Advice?

fakesports

Bob Crites sells them, but you should buy a pair if you go that route. K-33's come up on Ebay all the time. There is a K-33-E with a buy it now for $149.

You should remove the suspect driver, and run some tests on it to see what is wrong. Perhaps a recone or new surround is all it needs.

Many blown woofers will put out less sound, sound scratchy and muffled because their voice coils are cooked. On the other hand this is a horn and something may have crawled in the back against the woofer but very doubtful.

Many people love bass. LaScalas aren't about bass so if you crank up the bass knob or EQ to pretend there is low bass, you cook things. This is what I suspect. If these were a pair, the other may not be far behind so I'd likely replace both keeping the reasonable one as a spare.

If you got the cash i would get Bobs cast frame woofers i did on my K-Horns and sold the originals to a guy who wanted to keep his original. But dont trash that one or the other one someone on the forum may want those and get them repaired. Rick

If you got the cash i would get Bobs cast frame woofers

You would most likely have to use a bandsaw or grinder to take off a bit of the frame to get them to fit in the doghouse. Not an impossible task, but some don't want to do that on a new pair of woofers. THe stamped frame ones are also excellent and will fit with no problems.

Bruce

I prefer to use a gouge wood chisel to remove the minute amount of wood to make the driver fit.

When I designed my 2' cube bass horns that looked similar to the Klipsch LaScala I changed every dimension. The motor board was 15-3/4" wide to allow any woofer to be used.