Yield Open-Baffle project.

Guest David H

Guest David H

I have been working on an Open-Baffle project. This project stemmed from my interest in Martin Kings work.

I am very pleased with the sound, what is truly amazing is the bass response. I am getting solid coverage to 30hz without eq.

Dave

post-24405-13819711892688_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819734608162_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819764564408_thumb.jpg

post-24405-1381979136786_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

EQ'd response with R.E.W. below 100 cycles. 1/12 octave.

I am using a Mini DSP for a crossover, however I suspect I will be able to build a passive crossover as well.

post-24405-13819711902142_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819734616122_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819764573598_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819791376404_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Thanks guys, I am thrilled with the sound I really could not be more pleased.

They are very polite speakers, their only downfall seems to be their max spl. They won't play 120+ spl, but they sure sound nice and play louder than most of our wives will tolerate.[:D]

Dave

Guest David H

How do you get down to the really low bass, and how linear is it?

Because this speaker houses 2 15" wooofers with really high Qts make the driver ideal for open baffle, and generates really low bass.

I took some measurements with REW, as I recall it was fairly flat. Then I imported the correction files to the Mini DSP, which made a marked improvement.

Any similarity to Legacy speaker design?

Yes, in they are both open baffles. I have never heard a Legacy, but for their price tag, I would hope they are jaw dropping...

Dave

I have had the oportunity to hear these speakers wlile they were in the deveopement process, they are absolutely amazing. This speaker has a huge soundstage, and incredible imaging.

During the audition we listened to "My Love Is" by Diana Krall, the bass is so realistic it feels like the player is in the room with you. "Take Five"by Dave Brubeck was so detailed it was like I had heard it for the first time.

I have heard alot of speakers in my day, this one definately makes it to the top of my list.

Craig 73

How do you get down to the really low bass, and how linear is it?

Because this speaker houses 2 15" wooofers with really high Qts make the driver ideal for open baffle, and generates really low bass.
I'm puzzled -- I thought the front and rear wave cancel each other and therefore the bass in an open baffle, requiring a cabinet to solve. How does one get a 30Hz note with wave cancellation?

Guest David H

Cancellation can be an issue, what I did to help resolve the cancellation is us a open baffle bandpass design. This helps with several problems associated with O-B designs.

1. Using the band pass increases spl at the tuning frequency.

2. Having the bandpass port loads the driver thus having better control and increased power handling.

3. The band pass port being far smaller than the driver is similar to using a much larger baffle on the same driver. - As I understand it, and reduces cancelling effects.

4. This one is only a guess and difficult to explain. I think possibly because on the band pass port the waves are shaped differently and delayed enough to reduce cancellation. This is just a theory, and I have nothing to back it up. Other than my original non band pass designs were not very good.

5. The woofers need to have relatively high QTS or higher to be used in open baffle (low dampening). In totally open baffle the woofer has little load and moves large amounts to get to the lowest frequencies.

Dave

A k-43 cast frame woofer has a Qts of 0.314 , how does that rate in the open baffle world. what's an example good qts number?

The Infinite Baffle subwoofer driver at parts-express has a qts of .59. It seems to me a high qts would be indicated for an open baffle woofer as well.
good question

Guest David H

A k-43 cast frame woofer has a Qts of 0.314 , how does that rate in the open baffle world. what's an example good qts number?

The Infinite Baffle subwoofer driver at parts-express has a qts of .59. It seems to me a high qts would be indicated for an open baffle woofer as well.
good question

Correct, a good woofer for Open-Baffle would be .5 or greater. The K-43 would not be a good choice.

The woofers I am using are modified Eminence Alpha 15A's with a qts of 1.2

Dave

I had a chance to hear these as well. I dont know all the technical jargan, I cant even remember what their called, what I do know is they sound great, and there is certainly no lack of bass, or anything else for that matter.

What kills me is the 10 inch top woofer that sings out like a super tweeter, hard to comprehend that this speaker works at all, much less well.

Nice work on the cabs or baffles whatever their called.

BTW, are these going on field trips like the Drift's did? If so sign me up.

Paul B