h/k 430 reborn thanks to forum networking

Come on Bruce. Do it yourself.

Ben,

I will emphasize - LAZY! I know how to do it and am not the least afraid of doing it. I used to work full time as an electronics tech repairing 3 phase motor controllers. BUT thanks for the encouragement. [;)]

Bruce

Ben,

I will emphasize - LAZY! I know how to do it and am not the least afraid of doing it. I used to work full time as an electronics tech repairing 3 phase motor controllers. BUT thanks for the encouragement. Wink

Bruce

I understand the LAZY part. That's me. But I'm a bit paranoid about poking around in the output section. Time to get Electroncis Reparis for Dummies. I've no idea how to safely discharge a loaded up capacitor....

Ben,

I will emphasize - LAZY! I know how to do it and am not the least afraid of doing it. I used to work full time as an electronics tech repairing 3 phase motor controllers. BUT thanks for the encouragement. Wink

Bruce

I understand the LAZY part. That's me. But I'm a bit paranoid about poking around in the output section. Time to get Electroncis Reparis for Dummies. I've no idea how to safely discharge a loaded up capacitor....

Remember as a kid when you put your tongue on a 9-Volt battery.... Yup, just like that.

"The preceding comment was meant in jest, under no circumstances should anyone actually perform said action"

Yup, just like that.

You must be reading my mind!!! I almost posted the same thing earlier.

When I was younger, I worked at a TV station. One of the older technicians/cameraman was from Hungary, escaped during the '56 overthrow. He would flip breakers for the lighting grid in the studio we had, get on a ladder and touch the connection with his fingers. That way he could tell if he got the correct breaker turned on. [:|]

Bruce

Remember as a kid when you put your tongue on a 9-Volt battery.... Yup, just like that.

Rookie. I moved up to 12 volt car batteries with step up transformers before I was 13. 9 volts just well, just didn't cut it after a few years.

That's all there is to it. Woo Hoo. I'm off to fix my HK AVR 85.

"The preceding comment was meant in jest, under no circumstances should anyone actually perform said action"

Durn it Dale. Y'all take the fun out of things. But I was thinking left finger and right finger - get that shock all the way through yo body. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttt ya!

Just kidding. Don't try any of this at home kids. No matter how much fun we might tell you it is. Leave capacitor discharging to somebody that knows what they're doing. If ya don't know how to safely do it hire a professional. Or find a good hobbyist who might do it for too little. [:D]

Where y'all live again Dale? Looked kind of far. HK does provide detailed service manuals. I do need to learn the basics so I don't shock the bejeezus out of myself or blow up what I think is still a good receiver.

I have a Nakamichi Music Bank CD Player 3 I use as my desktop CD player at work and I'm pretty sure the headphone amp sounded noisy when I first tried it but only for a few minutes but I'm wondering if the crazy strong headphone amp has to warm up a bit? Maybe needs some new caps or something. Maybe just sounded hissy as I had it turned up stupid loud. not thinking the headphone amp was so STRONG. The door sticks on first opening but is fine after that. Probably needs a new belt. Complete 4 belt replacements I think $25 but if only the door an o ring of the correct size should work fine. I have a service manual and found out some good info by googlling. Still have not found a users manual. Go figure. I'm sure I can buy one but can often find for free. Also no remote.

I've had a 430 for ages and a 730 that I gave to DeanG recently. My 430 exhibits some noise, particulary upon shutdown, that I attribute to noise caps. I can solder but unfamiliar with reading detailed PC schematics and wouldn't know where to start. If this repair guru would be willing to do another, I'm game. This sits unused right now but I'd like to build up a little 'retro' system with the 430, Heresies, and turntable some day.

I've had a 430 for ages and a 730 that I gave to DeanG recently. My 430 exhibits some noise, particulary upon shutdown, that I attribute to noise caps. I can solder but unfamiliar with reading detailed PC schematics and wouldn't know where to start. If this repair guru would be willing to do another, I'm game. This sits unused right now but I'd like to build up a little 'retro' system with the 430, Heresies, and turntable some day.

Yes, I can take on another one. Fire me an email or PM and we'll work out the details.

Yup, just like that.

You must be reading my mind!!! I almost posted the same thing earlier.

When I was younger, I worked at a TV station. One of the older technicians/cameraman was from Hungary, escaped during the '56 overthrow. He would flip breakers for the lighting grid in the studio we had, get on a ladder and touch the connection with his fingers. That way he could tell if he got the correct breaker turned on. Indifferent

Bruce

My paternal grandfather (born 1896) worked for Pennsylvania RR in Baltimore. He seemed to have an immunity to electrical shock after working on and around the Pensy's electric (full size not toys) locomotives. He too put wet fingers in sockets to test for live current. Don't try at home.

• 2 weeks later...

The graduation weekend was a huge success. The system was a hit. We were too busy to spend much time listening.

Scott started at the DC police academy on the day after graduation. He plans to be a homicide detective.

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 years later...

I don't recall that trick as a child.  However at about age 2 or 3 I stuck  a pair of tweezers into a wall plug in.  Scared the hell right out of me.  I can still remember where every one was in the room.  I guess it burned it into  my memory.  Learned at a young age to leave those plug ins alone.

I did try the 9 volt as an adult.  I guess that makes me some kinda Stupid.

John

bump for me, I have a noisy 430 (it 'bumps' when shut off - output caps? ), and need to freshen it so it can be put into service. Had a 730 once, but it's in DeanG's hands now, don't know if he's done any work on it or not. 

And I do the 9V 'trick' all the time on cells for wireless devices. Keeps the hair curly. 

Since the new forum platform breaks the links to old threads, to satisfy any curiosity, I've attached a photo of one of the Heresy speakers presented to our son.  He wanted black, which was good as the veneer would have required a ton of work  to restore a stained or oiled finish.

post-6832-0-29360000-1411780917_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

http://manuals.harma...al/hk430 sm.pdf

"bump for me, I have a noisy 430 (it 'bumps' when shut off - output caps? ), and need to freshen it so it can be put into service."

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.