Amplifier advice....

New here and i got me some onkyo 705, klf-30's main, klf-c7 center, sf-2 surrounds, ss-1 for backs and a velodyne va 1250x sub.I dont know all the tech terms so go easy on me.I had a adcom gfa 5500 2x 200w i was using for the stereo mode and it crapped out on me.the sound was ok till the volume got a little high then i found mysef squinting a little with the highs.The bass i had to turn up to 10 on the tone control to get the bass going...i like bass but not car bass bassy.

No that i am without the amp and listening to everthing through my 705 it doesn't sound good...lol.I have been thinking about going with a 7 channel amp with 5.1.I am going to bi wire the speakers the mains.What is a good amp and is it a good idea to use a single 7 channel or will a better amp set up be recommended.Also if anyone has one for sale that would work too.I live in NE Florida.There are a couple amps i was looking at a sherbourn 7/2100a,sunfire cinema grand 7x200,or a outlaw 7x200.Any input would be great.

Thanks Greg

• Moderators

Hi Greg, welcome to the forums.

the sound was ok till the volume got a little high then i found mysef squinting a little with the highs.

You don't see too many people using Adcom with Klipsch. It might be because they are too bright combined together.

No that i am without the amp and listening to everthing through my 705 it doesn't sound good...

Does it sound bad for 2ch, movies or both? My Onkyo was great for HT but only ok for 2ch listening. To my ears, Onkyo isn't the most musical receiver.

I am going to bi wire the speakers the mains.

In my experience biamping my fronts, I heard no sonic benefit from it. Many would suggest that unless you use an active crossover and bypass the internal crossovers in your speakers, you will gain little if anything at all. I personally would save my money and buy a solid 5ch amp.

What is a good amp

Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw, Sunfire Cinema...any of those would rock your setup.

Here are a few in Florida that I found

Cinema Grand Series II for $1500 - Link

Cinema Grand 200-7 for $2000 - Link

Emotiva XPA-5 - Link

Outlaw Audio 750 - $550 - Link

Greg,

Welcome to another Florida brother to the forum.

I own an Onkyo TX-SR705 also but it is now doing bedroom HT duty.

Before my NAD T773 receiver replaced it, I had the 705 in my main system with a B&K Reference 4430(200w/ch) powering my RF-63/RC-64 combo. Before adding the B&K, the Onkyo was nice but it did not have the authority to properly drive my setup. With the B&K came a midrange warmness to die for combined with plenty of low end grunt. The B&K is slightly rolled off in the highs which can tame the shrillness that many say can be fatiguing.

There are a couple amps i was looking at a sherbourn 7/2100a,sunfire cinema grand 7x200,or a outlaw 7x200.Any input would be great.

Those amps are well represented by members on this forum and any of them should work well with your KLF's. Of the amps mentioned, the Outlaw may accentuate the "bright" highs the most. If at all possible, demo each of the amps with the same song/songs to do a true A-B.

There are a couple of amps for sale here on the Orlando c-list that look promising. What is your budget for amp/amps?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2986879325.html

Bill

• Moderators

Thx Bill, I forgot to mention B&K. Rock solid amps too.

I just contacted this guy. He wants to sell these 3 Parasound units for $3000.

Parasound Model 2125 Amplifier

Parasound Model 5125 Amplifier

Parasound Model 7100 Surround Controller

Thanks for all theadvice.I guess i will save the extra money and go with a 5 channel.I did see the amps you all had mentioned on CL.I am planning a road trip tommorow to orlando.I dont want to get anything on the brite side of things.I thought the adcom sounded good but got to a point where it was a little brite for my liking but like i said before i dont have much experience with amplifier sound.It may have to do with some of my room acoustics to but had a few friends that said it sounded great...but we dont know, it was loud though.I guess i may stay away from the outlaw if it going to be onthe brite side of things.

Just looked at emotiva and they have the 5 x 200 for 899 and take 10% off that.I think i will go with that.Its a new amp and i will get time to audition it as well.

I guess i may stay away from the outlaw if it going to be onthe brite side of things.

Sorry to give you the impression that Outlaw Audio amps are too bright. I wanted to point out that of the amps mentioned, the Outlaw might sound bright compared to the Sherbourn and Sunfire but most likely no where near the Adcom.

Outlaw Audio(ATI) makes fine amps of very good build quality that some say mate well with Klipsch.

In my opinion, the B&K will be warmer sounding than any of the ones mentioned but will still provide you with the detail and punch most desire.

Bill

I don't have a lot of experience with amps, but I really enjoy my Emotiva XPA-5. I think if I were you, I would just stick with that and leave your AVR to power your rears. If it is only driving 2 channels, it should have plenty of power to run them nicely. If not, it would still be cheaper to go with an XPA-2 for fronts and run everything else off your XPA-5 than buying a 7 channel amp of equivalent power. Your fronts would also enjoy the 100 extra watts of power.

Thanks again guy's man i woke up with such a headachethis morning thinking all nite while trying tosleep..lol.I just waned to clarify something that was mentioned earlier about the onkyo and what i ment by it doesn't sound good.The 705 sounds good its just that hearing with a seperate amp it was alot cleaner and crisp.So now not having that you can kinda hear the differencein the sound.

As far as the Outlaw i think its more the point about being able to get the Emotiva xpa-5 and saving some coin.I can always get a ad on later and like you said get the 300 watt for the mains.Sounds like a plan.Well see though i tend to say one thing and do something else...lol

Thanks again guy's man i woke up with such a headachethis morning thinking all nite while trying tosleep..lol.I just waned to clarify something that was mentioned earlier about the onkyo and what i ment by it doesn't sound good.The 705 sounds good its just that hearing with a seperate amp it was alot cleaner and crisp.So now not having that you can kinda hear the differencein the sound.

As far as the Outlaw i think its more the point about being able to get the Emotiva xpa-5 and saving some coin.I can always get a ad on later and like you said get the 300 watt for the mains.Sounds like a plan.Well see though i tend to say one thing and do something else...lol

You can't go wrong with the Emotiva. Bang for the buck best amp out there. There's a thread somewhere here called watts vs watts where we all talk about the differences in amp and receiver wattage ratings. Your ears aren't lying to you. The amp is going to have a noticeable better sound than a receiver of the same rated output.

Make it a good weekend!

Another question? Would you go with a new Emotiva 5 or a used sunfire grand.The emotiva would be be a little over $800.00 And last time i talked to them mostly all the stuff is backordered because of this sale.I hate waiting around,no telling how long it would be for a Emotiva amp.They are closed today too.Or there are a couple of Sunfires on E bay that i could bid on and maybe get lucky and win 1 for the same price.How much better is the sunfire vs the EMo or vice versa? Decisions decisions.....

I know Emotiva is a popular product on this forum, but it is also the amp most talked about for problems related to hiss, hum and ground loop problems. I don't see those problems with other amps used by forum members for the most part.

I agree that these problems can occur with any amp. I have just seen the frustration that other forum members have had with the Emotiva amps. You pay good money for a new toy and then have to deal with hiss, hums and the likes. There are a great number of members that have Emotiva amps without any problems. Good luck with locating the problem[:)].

• Moderators

Amp should be a great addition for your system.

Tech Details
RMS Power per channel at 2 ohms 800 Watt
RMS Power per channel at 4 ohms 400 Watt
RMS Power per channel at 8 ohms 200 Watt

I just hope the guy knows how to pack the amp properly for shipping. He only has 8 feedback and has previously sold remotes. Let us know how it works out.

• Moderators

Has any one ever used that warrenty they offer for electronic.I think its called Fair Trade?

I personally do not ever buy "extended warranties". Typically they are designed to benefit the seller, whether it's for a car, electronics etc. When I worked at CC, we pushed the extended service plan heavily because it was a big profit for the company. But that's just me.