Elliptical

tmassey

So here is a question that likely has never been asked here. And maybe I am asking in the wrong place...

Anyway, long story short, about 8 months ago, I quit my job as a Meat Cutter because I just graduated and got a degree in software development. The Meat Cutting job was fairly physically demanding and kept me somewhat in shape. Since, I have been sitting down for about 9 hours a day at work, then coming home to sit down about 4-5 more doing websites on the side to keep my HT fund growing and spending time enjoying my HT, and have put on quite a bit of weight. So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as buying an elliptical or workout bike here to put in an HT room. Two things that are important to me is it is comfortable if it is a sit down bike one, and a lot have the display to show calories lost... etc. I don't want it and I don't want to know, I just want to forget I am exercising while watching a movie. Usually that display sits right in the way of the movie and makes it very hard to forget what I am actually doing.

You need not work out at all if you're willing to change your diet to reflect the change in your workload since the career move.

Strip out all the starches from your meals. If you have a steak, ditch the potato. Substitute with a pile of vegetable medley.

Chicken dinner? Ditch the bun, fries, or mashed potatoes in lieu of some green beans or asparagus. Switch off from soda at the fountain by filling your cup half-full of water, then top off with what ever non-carbonated juice they've got available. Eventually when you're comfortable with that, switch to straight water entirely.

Fruit is OKAY, but vegetables trump them even more so.

Have a spinach and bacon salad sprinkled with hard boiled egg for breakfast instead of a bowl of cereal drowned in milk. Too dry, throw on some sauteed onions and mushrooms...it's breakfast, it'll burn off but won't leave you draggin tail by 2 pm.

In the absence of high levels of sugar, the pounds will melt off without having to lift a finger more than usual. The more veg the pronounced the change. It's just a start and involves no purchase of equipment.

Just my $0.02

I have a Kinect and I tried the Wii. It's fun for a few minutes, but I quickly finding myself wishing I was just listening to music or watching a movie instead, which is exactly what I would have been doing anyway. I figure if I am going to be sitting there watching a movie or listening to music, I mine as well be doing something to better myself. I can only take so much of watching a cartoon version of myself doing the same workout I am doing. I guess I was really trying to get an idea of what brand would be decent if I was going to spend a few hours of time on one. Was hoping someone around here had tried something similar.

And they are different Edmund, but they serve pretty close to the same purpose for what I am looking for.

• Moderators

For the bikes the models where you sit and the petals are in front of you seem to be more comfortable for the 2 minutes I tried it anyway, we have both and an elliptical. Just got the elliptical from a friends daughter, she paid $1500 for it and after a few months of not really using it and sold it to us for $500 like new, all it did was lighten her wallet at that rate. [:o]

I can't compare them much because I don't use them my wife does, it does have a beer holder so I may try it ? [:P]

I did lose #50 over the last year just from eating differently without additional exercise, which I need to start doing.

<spellcheck off>

Eliptical over stationary bike everytime. You'll burn way more calories with an eliptical than the other. We have a golds gym close and it has a MOVIE cardio room. Dimly lit with treadmills, elipticals, stationary bikes, stairstepers, row machines gallor.

I totally watched Iron Man 2 all the way through while getting lost on the eliptical.

<spellcheck on>

Thanks for the input. I was browsing Craigslist last night and happened across an extremely well priced Elliptical. Bought it, took it home and set it up in my theater room, turned a movie on, and I was pretty impressed at how easy it was to forget you are actually working out, which is what I was looking for. Also, Kate Beckinsale is much hotter in Underworld than I remember when it first came out. Looking forward to seeing the rest now.

Thanks for the input. I was browsing Craigslist last night and happened across an extremely well priced Elliptical. Bought it, took it home and set it up in my theater room, turned a movie on, and I was pretty impressed at how easy it was to forget you are actually working out, which is what I was looking for. Also, Kate Beckinsale is much hotter in Underworld than I remember when it first came out. Looking forward to seeing the rest now.

That's great. That's the thing about excersize equipment. People buy the stuff new and end up not using it, so they sell it for huge losses. In my opinion, at least the first piece of excersize equipment should be used.

Kate in a tight, black rubber outfit defines hotness.