LaScala re-build suggestions needed

I am looking at that set of empty LaScala boxes on Ebay, and I might buy them. I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on drivers horns and crossovers. I know Bob Crites sells the stuff, but since I would be starting from scratch, I might get it done on the cheap. Also, which bass driver was it that had the highest output rating, and what were the specs on the crossover used for that setup?

Here are the boxes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-LaScala-La-Scala-1989-yr-Speakers-speaker-BOXES-Housings-Enclosures-/120914744239?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c271493af

$(KGrHqFHJEoE-ll5dR!TBPs(Ew3z2w~~60_12.J

When I had La Scalas I went through a number of different mods.

I think the best sounding version consisted of:

Crites CW1526C woofers (some modification of the woofers was required)
Dave Harris (GotHover) wood Trachorns
Klipsch K-55M squawker drivers with the bug screens removed
Crites CT125 tweeters
ALK AP12-500 / AP15-4000 crossovers (self built)
Ported bass bin modification
Bass bin sidewall bracing.

Enjoy them. They sound great "bone stock" but can sound even better with a bit of work and $$.

That's only about 30 miles from Bob.

I like the 1.4 inch throat horn that KG4Guy put in his LS. I think it was the Faital horn, which he made a small adapter out of PVC to get the one inch throat.

Those cabs would be agood price if they aren't too beat up. Save a lot of grief compared to building a set.

Bruce

I would order all the parts from Klipsch. I think K still carries all parts for Lascala. I order a woofer for my Cornwall II this morning from K and it turned out the woofer is interchangeable for IIs vs IIIs. I paid $150 for the 15" woofer shipped + local tax so I think K is pretty reasonable parts wise. For the money I would just order all parts from K for Lascala II. The speaker is going for $3500 each right now! I suspect you'll have yourself a lascala II for way less than $7000. Enjoy the project!

In case you didnt notice the seller still has the 401 mid horns and the AL-3 X-overs for sale as well. You might try to work a package deal with him. AL-3's and 401 mid horns arent that easy to come by anymore.

Really dont see how the guy figured he could get more from parting the speaks out.

You could also make them JubScalas. It would cost more than LS or LS II, but they would sound better, too.

Just buy the woofers, then get K510 or K402 horns with K-69-A drivers, add an E-V Dx38 and a pair of matching power amps and you're good to go.

Almost. It's not quite plug-and-play, but once you get them hooked up right, you're really set. [Y]