Eliptrac 400

Does the Eliptrac even have a stock driver? Methinx you need to name the driver you have in mind. In a Klipschorn rig, I employ the JBL 2482 2"-midrange (not stock) on the Eliptrac with AlK's steep slope crossovers and they make for a pure/sweet and smooth combination through their entire appointed frequencies.

Guest David H

I did the testing with the k-55 and the Eliptrac, and although it sounded great, it wasn't nearly as good as the Eliptrac with a high quality 2 inch driver.

Recently I installed a pair of Eliptracs 2-way with the B&C DE-85TN in Johnny 5's prophile speakers, he upgraded from 3-way with a trachorn+JBL 2426h and 2404 with baby cheek tweeters.

Johnny 5 is now selling his JBL mids and tweeters.

Dave.

I did the testing with the k-55 and the Eliptrac, and although it sounded great, it wasn't nearly as good as the Eliptrac with a high quality 2 inch driver.

Recently I installed a pair of Eliptracs 2-way with the B&C DE-85TN in Johnny 5's prophile speakers, he upgraded from 3-way with a trachorn+JBL 2426h and 2404 with baby cheek tweeters.

Dave.

This is confused.

You recommend a 2 inch throated driver. However, the example you give (JBL 2426) is a 1 or 1.4 in throated driver.

What is the manufacturer's recommendation? Are you saying that the throat size on the horn is "confgurable" ?

Dave.

This is confused.

You recommend a 2 inch throated driver. However, the example you give (JBL 2426) is a 1 or 1.4 in throated driver.

What is the manufacturer's recommendation? Are you saying that the throat size on the horn is "confgurable" ?

There are several throat adapters offered in different sizes depending on your driver.

Guest David H

Dave.

This is confused.

Thats correct, I have adapters from 2 inch to 1.4" and 1".

Dave

EZ,

I am running Dave's Eliptrac (with his adapter down to 1 inch) with the stock K55 driver in my Khorns. The sound is much improved over the stock K400 horn. Don't know if I will ever upgrade to 2 inch driver.

babadono

EZ,

I am running Dave's Eliptrac (with his adapter down to 1 inch) with the stock K55 driver in my Khorns. The sound is much improved over the stock K400 horn. Don't know if I will ever upgrade to 2 inch driver.

babadono

Thanks Babadono. That's good information. I was thinking of doing this upgrade one step at a time as you did.

• 2 weeks later...

EZ,

babadono

I think you should give it some serious thought.

• Like 1

I just installed Eliptrac 400's with B & C DE-85TN last night and put my ALK Trachorn's for sale tonight. This things really sound great for the bucks spent! I've heard the high end BMS 4592ND-MID and this B & C gives it a run for its money. I still think in the end I will drop the cash and get the BMS but I could live with this DE-85TN no problem. No way in gods green earth could a K55 even remotely touch this sound quality...

Every thing top to bottom sounds better and it just seems to keep getting better the more I play them. If it wouldn't drive my neighbors crazy I'd crank them up in my shop over night to about 110db and let them stretch there wings all night long. I will be doing that tomorrow when I head 125 miles south to get my grandson.

I'm running the B&C DE82TN which is a 1.4 inch driver. I've been very happy with it and good bang for the buck. The B&C DE820 is now out and the only difference is the new phase plug which improves HF dispersion. Good stuff from B&C.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a pair of Dave's Eliptrac 400 as the DIY kit. I'm planing on doing the two-way method using the DE85TN driver. I will be bi-amping using a TDM 24CX-2 Crossover (24db/octave) crossed at 500Hz.

The sanding would make for a great winter project, so it may be a while before I report back with results.