I joined the "Reference" club today

jhoak

As some of you may know I've been going through a MAJOR downsizing of late. I've always been a Klipsch "heritage" guy. In the past 35 or so years I've owned Belles, Heresys (several pairs), Cornwalls (Is & IIs), La Scalas, Quartets, Forte's, Chorus IIs, several KG series, and 2 pairs of Cornscalas.

But never any of the Reference line. I did briefly own a pair of RB-5s that I took in trade but I don't recall ever hooking them up to anything prior to selling them.

Today I took a 2 hour round trip drive to pick up a pair of RF-3 IIs from fellow member of the Klipsch Community. They're very nice but not quite perfect. Sonically they're excellent. I'll need to spend a little time with placement but I'll get them dialed in pretty quickly.

I've known Michael (the seller) for a couple of years now. Great guy with a fabulous all Klipsch home theater. Michael came to my place a couple of years ago to experience La Scalas for the first time.

Have I taken a step or two back from the McIntosh, tubes, & La Scalas that I had not so long ago? Well... Yes I have. But what I have now sounds VERY good and the footprint is much more conducive to a smaller place.

My first impression of the RF-3s is they're a little brighter than I'm used to. At 54 and suffering from WAY too many concerts (hearing wise & in other ways) a little extra top end is a good thing.

Here they are singing:

Posted Image

Just the FM radio for the moment but later this evening I'll pour something interesting over a few ice cubes and spin a few of my favorite reference tunes.

The RF-3 IIs remind me of something that a good (and now departed) friend once said to me. "It ain't about the equipment, it's about the music that comes out".

Youthman, Like I said, If it makes you smile when you hear it then you got it right. [:D]

Hey Jeff, 1 good thing about those towers is the 8' apart you used to have with the Corn's is now 10'. :)

I bet they sound great just as they are....

So how long till you start tweaking them [6]

Shall we start a poll...LOL

So how long till you start tweaking them Devil

Shall we start a poll...LOL

What's to "tweak"?

I have a standing policy to not futz with any speakers I buy for at least a month of listening.

I've not yet busted in to them but I have a hunch that the crossover caps could be a bit better. I guess I'll be doing a little "exploritory surgery" in the next couple of days. I will not however make any changes to anything until I've listened to them for a while.

Oh... Yea... I want to thank you for making me drag out my tape measure and check the distance between them and whether or not everything is "centered". [;)]

Today I took a 2 hour round trip drive to pick up a pair of RF-3 IIs from fellow member of the Klipsch Community. They're very nice but not quite perfect. Sonically they're excellent. I'll need to spend a little time with placement but I'll get them dialed in pretty quickly.

Jeff,

Congratulations on the RF-3 purchase. Never heard them, never seen them, but heard good things about them.

Now for some of your wood veneering magic then you may have a pair of one of a kind RF-3's.

Bill

Thanks! I'm enjoying them. At worst they give me something fairly decent to listen to while I'm deciding on and raising the $$ for the next speaker project.

It's funny that you mention veneering them. I was sitting last night with Mr. Knopfler wailing away and thinking about how they'd look in some of that cherry that we used to do your sub.

HMMM.....

P.S. We need to drag Youthman down to "The Wall Of Voodoo". No true Klipsch lover should be deprived of that experience. I am of course speaking of TWOV and NOT Groomlakearea51. [;)] [:P]

It's funny that you mention veneering them. I was sitting last night with Mr. Knopfler wailing away and thinking about how they'd look in some of that cherry that we used to do your sub.

HMMM.....

I still have that one roll left if you want it. It should just about cover one RF-3. Let me know and it is yours, just come get it and you will also get to hear another great sounding Reference setup.[:D]

Bill

Thanks!

Yes. The media shelving is from Ikea.

As they say... "Some assembly required"... Wink

Yes, Ikea has many good products, with "some assembly" required.

Also, they provide you with some of the crappie'ist instructions that I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

Never-the-less, they have some great, money saving, products....

OK... How about a semi-nudie while I have the grills off trying to repair some of the broken pegs.

System6-10-12.jpg

Yea... I didn't need to pull the grill off of the subwoofer but it seemed appropriate.

Put some clothes on them, LOL, I like the look of the older Reference line, actually i like the look off all of them, but ii like the newer line the most, i wish i had them.