PING Roy D. or Trey: a CD horn xover question....

Roy/Trey: I am wondering if the Epic series is the only heritage vintage two way speakers to have CD compensation built into the crossovers? Is CD compensation only used in the CF3/4 or do all the models use it? Do any of the RF series have CD compensation designed into the networks? Thank you and best regards Moray James.

...and what in the world would CD compensation look like? Would it be treble roll off or attenuation of the tweeter to mask digital harshness? I assume it is switchable. If it works, why don't other Klipsch speakers have it? A modest proposal: a four position switch so one can choose between FLAT, GOOD CDs, BAD CDs and TRULY TERRIBLE CDs.

Gary, I assume the term "CD" was referring to constant directivity of the horn's pattern of dispersion. Usually, with such horns the high end actually needs to be boosted with a shelving filter. I believe that is the compensation he is referring to.

Preston Tom: thank you for fielding the question from Gary. I have only just checked back in here and found your two posts. You are correct in that I was referring to constant directivity horns and the shelving filter they require. I would imagine that the large RF series utilize CD horns but I am not sure which do and which don't. Thank you for jumping in here your assistance is much appreciated. Best regards Moray James.

thanks. the drawing is confussing me a little, are there two T5A auto transformers used or does the drawing show the input and output side split? Can you give me the 101 walk through for crossover dummies? Is it the 4 uf cap which supplies the hf boost? appreciate your help with this. Best regards Moray James.

"So are the auto transformers are being used as a tapped inductor? "

No.

The first autoformer cuts the signal broadband, the 25Ω series resistor gives some isolation, the second autoformer steps up the voltage at high frequency.

The signal is raised by about 6dB by the autoformer, so the impedance drops by a factor of about 4:1 at the higher frequencies. Factoring in the Le of the voice-coil at 20Khz, the cap sets the boost point at roughly 10Khz. I'm sure they tried different values before settling on 4µF.

I heard the KP450 at a trade show in 1989, it sounded pretty good for what it was, but I would have liked to have seen a three-way with a mid-bass driver and a smaller HF horn. Klipsch was great, and even showed me the network diagrams for all the models I asked to see.

Looks like the expensive (although better way due to impedance variations) of doing the resistor bypassed by the capacitor to raise the high frequency response when trying to do a 2 way horn. For some reason I didn't like this type of implementation for raising the high frequency so maybe Klipsch's use of autoformers would sound better.