Klipschorn and HK430

The HK430 showed up on craigslist yesterday and I saw it this morning. I emailed and then called at 7:30 this morning. I had tried to buy a damaged Sansui 9090 from him a few weeks ago but it was sold from underneath meby his partner. The owner of the HK430 called me back about 1:30 and we set up a meeting at McDonalds in Bridgewater at 3:00 and by 4:30 had it hookup up in place of the Yamaha 1020 that has been doing the job for a while powering the $500 Klipschorns. This is getting expensive, gave another $150 for the HK430 and I thinks its a keeper. The Yamaha will migrate to other duties, I think...

post-42841-138197362731_thumb.jpg

post-42841-1381976694976_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819793911618_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I too am eager to hear your impressions.

I've owned several of these and just "won" a 630 and a 730 on eBay.

Wow! You're really running up a total. First $500 for Khorns and now $150 to power them. Next thing you know, you'll be spending 6 cents/foot for wire at Lowes. I love it! Yours will be a difficult system to beat when measured by "Bang for the Buck."

The HK430 seems to have plenty of power for the Klipschorns, I guess that would be a given. I mostly listen to the radio and its a station in Boston, WUMB and they have satillite transmitters of about 500 watts in the next town about 9 miles away. As of late it has been hard to pull in but it seems to be pulling it in fine at the moment. The rest of the system is the clone lascala bass bins firing into the corner behind the Khhorns (tscm style enclosed back) so they are 2 feet out of the corner. Of cource you got to have a center so those were the first pair of Klipsch speakers thast I bought when I got back into playing with toys two years ago, a pair of "past their prime" Belles, now both are doing duty as centers for Khorns. The Belle runs in mono off the roberts 720a, one channel wired direct to the K33 and the other channel wired to the the AA feeding the mids and highs The pioneer SX828 is just there to create a mono signal and fead out though the pre-outs. The conzillas are mostly just sitting doing not much but they are also wired to the Pioneer A9 A channel but I nornally only run the B channel to the lascala clones. sometime they all play togeter bit mostly its just the khorn,lascala clones and Belle. All added together they cost a bit more than I want to spend but I think its all under $2k but I had a lot of fun building the lascala and cornzilla clones so their value to me was a great learning experiance.

post-42841-13819736284584_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819766960954_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819793924282_thumb.jpg

This is kind of cool, the pre-delivery specs still on the bottom of the receiver. Anyone remember the shop or know the tech? I have read a lot about folks enjoying these HK receivers and when I read something about a piece of equipment I usually end up looking and finding one to try out. Seems to be a few showing up as of late and I am sure that they will all be enjoyed by those that care to indulge in the blasts from the past.

post-42841-13819736328504_thumb.jpg

post-42841-1381976700431_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819793971118_thumb.jpg

The ported lascala clone bass bin fires directly into the corner. I was out of room and they are to heavy to move now so they stay upstairs where they were assembled, I can't see letting them sit unused so they play with a 4 Mh inductor to cut the upper end of the frequency a bit along with the Klipschorns and turned 90 degrees extend the wall of the "tscm" enclosure another 2 feet on that side. It pulls the Khorn out of the corner that 2 feet and turns the 17 X 17 room into a slightly less deep 17 X 15. I don't know if it helps or hurts the sound but I have had some fun playing with various configurations over the last 2 years.

post-42841-13819736330504_thumb.jpg

post-42841-1381976700594_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819793973152_thumb.jpg

The ported lascala clone bass bin...

Gary,

What is the size of the prot you put in those? I know it should be different size, being along the side wall ( or like the Cornwall on the bottom). I'm getting ready to start operating on the second pair of LS cabs I had picked up for $100 and thinking of options.

Bruce

Hi Bruce

2.5 inches wide by 10 inches tall and 6.5 inches deep from the face. That said The whole front panel can be replaced with another, I didn't know what I was doing back when I built it (still don't) so I left myself an out in that the panel is only screwed in with 13 - 2 inch screws. I think there is some more details on it in the build thread that I did

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/137782.aspx?PageIndex=1

I would guess that it probably doesn't play any higher than around 300 hz and I would like to cut that even more but I didn't have any other inductors. It has some issues with male voices (DJ's) talking and especially saying OF wich sound like O'V-V-V-V-V-V better with the 4 Mh inductor but not 100% but it does have bass and I like being able to boost that region a bit at low volumes. Some day I'll have to get back and turn some bass bins into speakers but the money is a big factor in preventing that from happening. My other hobby (see avitar) is sucking up a lot of funds at the moment and the hifi bug needs to slide for a while, I probably shouldn't have bought the HK430 but sometimes I just get sucked it to these things just by looking.