Dynamat

MacKlipsch

Ok folks, thanks in advance for your help. I know this has been addresed many times in the past, but sir webmaster has deleted alot of the old threads. We can make this the new official dynamat thread. What is dynamat? Where can I get it? How much do I get? What is rope caulk? Where do I put the rope caulk? (be nice) Does anyone put some on their tweeter? Could someone post a pic of their mod please? I saw Al's 1 inch strips that he used by clicking on his homepage. Did you use rope caulk Al? Perhaps for the sake of completeness some can explain better than I can why they feel dampening the squaker is done....

I got my dynamat at Pep Boys. Any reasonably full line auto supply center ought to have dynamat in stock.

You will find two or three types available. The original dynamat was a based on a goopy, icky looking, heavy brown asphalt compound. There are newer versions of dynamat that are more resistant to the high temperatures in the environment dynamat is designed for: interiors on car hoods, doors, trunks, etc. The newer stuff is also lighter in weight, and look better (high tech looking silver backing rather than ugly brown stuff.)

I found (after much very messy experimentation) that the old version works much better than the new versions at damping the midrange horn on my La Scalas. They simply sound "deader" when I rap on the horn with a wooden spoon when they're covered with the original dynamat rather than the newer versions.

Picture posted by Al shows what looks to be a generic version of the older style Dynamat.

If you have fiberglass horns, with the multiple squared off sections on the outside of the horn, you'll have to cur the dynamat into a zillion narrow strips and apply it separately to each flat section of the horn. I have the metal version of the midrange horn, so I was able to cut out a few large, triangular shaped sections and cover large areas of the horn with one piece of dynamat.

It sticks best when warm. I set my oven to it's lowest temp, let it warm up, then opened the door and laid the dynamat across the rack till it warmed up. It got very soft and very tacky. Won't come off the horn now without a hammer and chisel. Don't overdue the warming it up part - stuff gets like taffy when it gets warm, will stretch when you pick it up, and retains heat so much that it's easy to burn your fingers. And if you heat it in the oven, overdo it, and it drips down onto the surface of the oven, you will never ever ever get it off, and it smells horrible. Your wife will hate you.

I haven't done the tweeter yet, but dynamatting the midrange made a big difference in the way vocals, in particular, sound at higher volume levels. Much smoother with less of the "horn honk".

Ray

and let's not forget good old rope caulk ala FrostKing weather stripping.

I used that quite successfully on the tweeter, and on the narrow throat of the squawker, right up to the face of the driver.

Did the basket for the woofer too, although I don't know if it helped.

I used a product similar to Al's. . .the name has escaped me though. I had good results with it on my Scala squakers and tweets and Cornwall II tweeters. I couldn't tell a difference at low volumes, but I did an wrapped/unwrapped comparison with my scalas and the difference was noticable at high volumes. The ring that is sometimes associated with these speakers was diminished greatly. IMO, this is the best low buck upgrade to heritage speaks. Thanks for all the help guys.

Jeff