KG4 Dry Rot?

Had a pair of KG4's ever since they were new I had constant problems with the speakers surrounds of the woofers getting thin cracks (the rubber part the speaker moves on). The woofer surrounds always looked like they had some sort of micro fine white dust on them. The speakers would make buzzing noises when air was escaping through the cracks as these speakers have sealed enclosures. The K8K drivers on both speakers were ALL replaced at least twice because of this problem. The Kilpsch warranty was good as the store did not give me any crap they just handed me a new driver. Have a pair of RF3's and am happy (no problems). Has anyone else had this problem or were KG4'S just junk from the start?

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 06-02-2002 at 03:01 PM

I have just used armor all about once a year on the surrounds and it keeps them from oxidizing as well as keeping them shiny.

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Klipsch Quintet Surrounds

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Hello Dere!!

I wonder if you are living in a very arid climate?

Where do you and your speakers live?

If the air in your area is consistently very low in humidity you might look at purchasing a humidifier.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Hmmm, mine have the same problem. I've also had problems with the old drivers buzzing even though I've never applied any bass to them. I'm the 2nd owner so I assumed they had a hard life before I got them, but one started going bad a few months ago and I've had them for over a year. Only 2 left to replace when they decide to quit. I'll deal with it.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

I've had my KG4s since 1985, and I have shipped them coast to coast at least 3 different times via UPS and conventional mail, not to mention the times they have been moved by normal means. Sadly, the boxes (as in packing) did not survive the journeys. The cabinets have endured a small army of cats and an even larger army of drunk friends, and pure neglect by me. Currently, they serve as my mains and they still sound fantastic, although rather worse for the wear...

My freind has 2 sets of KG 4s, all surrounds were dry rot, thats how he got 4, he got mine as well!

I didnt want to spend the 400 for 4 new woofers, beings they sell for 300 used, so i gave him a great deal!

I used black permatex, then offed them to him! Still holding, but for how long!

He also did his set, new 14 years ago, there just not holding up!

The woofers will not last like the chorus, or heritage series, they will fail over time DRY ROT!

So, either make them look good, to sell them, then upgrade, or spend the $400.00 for woofers!

Not counting the passive radiator!

Besides, your lible to get black woofers, instead of original white from Klipsch!

Another question is

Are they ganna be 4-6-or 8 Ohm woofers!

Regards Jim

I've had a pair of KG4 since 1985. They've moved with me more times than I can count. I've had them in and out of systems on a regular basis for almost 17 (gasp!) years now. I've never any problem whatsoever. Does anyone know if Klipsch used different fomulations or materials for the surrounds in different years? I can't believe some folks have had almost 100% failure, and I've had just the opposite.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray

Look for real fine cracks around the poly surround border, youll find stretch marks im sure!

The passives did crack bad on mine, ive kinda been tossing it around to get a set on e-bay for rears to match my chorus, in design, but im afraid of some repairs!

Regards Jim

Well I rushed home from work and grabbed a flashlight to inspect my speakers. And guess what! my woofers are white. On the up side, the woofers looked great. On the down side one of the passive radiators had 2 small cracks (and a spider) where the surround is glued to the cabinet. I think in this case, it may be a question of exposure to direct sunlight, the speaker sits away from the wall close to a glass door. In any case, I was real happy for this post, because it allowed me to catch a problem before it became a disaster, and secondly it allows me to start thinking about my next upgrade (Too bad the Academys have been snatched).

To all, original woofers were Silver now Black and put in storage a couple years ago. The speakers were kept in Minneapolis MN in reasonable temperature / humidity. This leads me to my next question and I would really like a response from Klipsch on this as well as it seems I am not the only one. Does Klipsch use quality materials? Maybe I should I dump my RF-3's now before they start to fall apart? My dad has 4 JBL L100 Studio Series from 1974 that have lived in SE Asia (purchased in Thailand), Oklahoma, and MN and are in perfect shape! By the way the L100's have been played very hard! My KG4's were falling apart after 1 year. I was told Klipsch was supposed to be the "ultimate" now am not sure. Come on Klipsch give me some re-asurance the RF-3 materials have improved. K8K drivers going for $100's of dollars why so much for a speaker that seems to be (no offense) junk?

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 06-07-2002 at 08:06 PM

As if I didn't have enough to worry about...

Well, after reading this thread I ran out and checked my Kg-4's and Kg-3's. The 4's are the 1985 model as well and seem to be perfect, even with close up inspection. The surrounds are black and supple. No cracks that I can see, even after I pushed around to see if I could expose any hidden ones. The passive radiator on the back of one of them does get exposed to direct sunlight so I might see if I can shield it somehow.

The 3's are from 1991 and don't have any cracks either. They do have a sort of yellowish-white dust on them, especially the passive. I rubbed the dust off.

So, should I be using Armorall on the surrounds now? I've always imagined that these would last forever so I want to do whats best to maintain them.

This message has been edited by erdric on 06-13-2002 at 03:50 PM

Well, this post has me thinking. Klipsch has grown a lot over the past 7 years or so - it's actually rather amazing. Good points? Well, more people know the Klipsch name now, that's for sure, and they are keeping the company alive fiscally, I guess, by offering what people currently want (home theater systems, computer speakers, and tall skinny towers). But, I must wonder why the only 3 way speaker in their newer product line is the SP-1? Sure, the other speakers have great sensitivity, but come on - they're only a two-way speaker! I mean, you don't see any two-way speakers in the Heritage line up, do you? All the speakers that made Klispch famous are full, three-way speakers, not two-way! I see this as Klispch caving into what's popular and not what's sonically best. It can be a dangerous road if people at Klipsch get to the point where they main cares are what's currently popular and feel they need to produce speakers that LOOK like all the other competitors. I mean, I doubt Paul Klipsch ever gave a hoot about what JBL or Bose speakers LOOKED like or the TYPE of drivers they used. I think all he cared about is what SOUNDED and worked best and compression drivers mated to horns worked for him so that's what he sold! Heck, I remember an ad from 1987 that had a guy with a Heresy II speaker talking about how Klipsch speakers both LOOK and SOUND DIFFERENT from other speakers. I hope that the "new" Klispch doesn't lose sight of this fact just to keep shareholders happy and to increase their revenue. The day they stop making the Heritage series is the dead I'll announce that Klipsch is DEAD. I hope that day never comes, but if it does, I'm sure my Heresy IIs will still be kicking because they were built to last forever. I just don't feel I can say the same about the Reference and Synergy series, I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...

Trespasser_guy,

You are correct, it couldn't have been 1981. I'm old (47)and feeble, so cut me a little slack. I was trying to remember when I bought them. I had two pair I purchased a couple of years apart. The first was with a prior girlfriend who I'd known since 81', but actually purchased the speakers in 85'. I've never had to repair them and the surrounds still look good as new. I think playing them frequently has a lot to do with it, keeps the rubber pliable.

The proir poster complains about Klipsch and the absence of 3-ways in their HT and less expensive speaker lines. I agree, the Heritage speakers are probably Klipsch' best efforts, but I also know the KG4s, Fortes and Chorus' still fetch a "pretty penny" on the auction and used equipment sites. I don't think you'd find too many "audiophiles" who enjoy the sound of a "good horn midrange" unless they have a pair of Avantguarde Duos, nor do I think Klipsch has plans to build 3-ways with non-horn midrange drivers.

KFalls - 2 month response time - Let's Do the Time Warp Again - OH I get it , you are not a touch typist.

As Always....Just Kidding, and Cluless.

BTW - The surrounds on my KG-4s are in sad shape - but I am in dry-rot denial, I attribute my problem to feline infractions...