LaScallas on ebay.

There is one helluva nice pair of LaScallas on ebay. Located in Florida if anyone out that way is looking. They went on today. Forgive me for not posting a link, but I am ignorant in the ways of posting links.cwm36.gif

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 06-04-2002 at 01:01 AM

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vavoline,

I presume you are referring to eBay item #: 1357478582

These are a nice pair of LaScala LS-BR (Birch RAW) with grille cloth over the mid/tweeter housing. They are advertised as walnut finished, but the pics show them to be just birch.

LaScalas have never been offered in anything BUT birch!!

About 25 years ago, one...JUST ONE!!!...LaScala was built up out of black walnut lumbercore plywood panels for the then president of Klipsch, Bob Moers, but it was sold not very long ago to another old hand of the company, whose name I will not mention on a public forum.

This single walnut LaScala was originally used as a center channel between two k-horns.

Soooooo....anybody hoping to get a pair of genuine factory-built walnut LaScalas, is gonna have one helluva time finding them, since there was only ONE ever made to start with!! LOL!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Vavoline,

to post a link, easiest way (for me, anyway Wink.gif ) is to simply open up another browser, go to the page you're trying to link to, then highlight the text in the address bar and cut and paste it into the body of your post.

For example, I went to the EBay auction you mentioned, highlighted the text in my Internet Explorer's address bar, hit control C to copy it, postition the curson on the next blank line and hit control V to paste it, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1357478582

How do you spell Voo Wall Ah?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

These are about 3.5 hours from me and I am talking to the guy. I would really like these if I can keep the price under $1000, since I'm selling my Chorus II's to Rob (jhawk92). I've asked him a number of questions but he doesn't seem to know too many answers. He is the original owner but hasn't had these hooked up since 1998. He said they were not stained so I'm assuming they are still Raw Birch. He doesn't know the Networks that are on the speakers (does anyone know for 1986?) or whether they will take a banana plug (anyone?). I have emailed Colin Flood, who lives about 30 minutes from there to see if he can take a look at them for me. I know I'm one to post eBay speakers all the time, but I kinda wish these went unnoticed. Smile.gif Will keep you posted...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike-

These are beautiful! I sure hope you can nab them for a good price. I didn't know you were serious about LaScalas over the Cornwalls. Looks like we decided to do the Chorus II sale at the right time. Smile.gif Maybe you can get him to end early.

Rob

The Klipsch type AA and Al's networks are both major improvements over the Type AL. I have not heard the Klipsch Type AK/AL-3, but it's design makes it look pretty good to me. I have a pair of tweaked AAs in one pair of La Scalas and ALKs in the other. I cannot decide between them. They are different and the ALKs are crisper or hotter at VHF, but that also adds a nice shimmer to cymbals. IMO, you can buy Al's networks or replace most of the components in a pair of AAs. The cost would be about the same; maybe the rebuild would be cheaper. For about half of the cost of ALKs, I replaced the caps with Hovland Musicaps.

John

I think the designer of the AL network was on the downslope side of some heavy mind-altering experience when the design came to him...LOL!

The AA network is alot better for the LaScala...and I have it from good authority that alot of the AL type network is apparently not necessary anyway...being more of a tribute to how much solder and parts can be used in assembling a network up, than an actual improvement over the AA network!! LOL!

Thanks AL K.!! Smile.gif

------------------

What does the AL network consist of? What are the crossover frequencies, and how fast are the slopes? I don't know anything about it. What are the AA's specs? Anyone who can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

There are no "factory grilles" for LaScalas. Whenever anybody wanted grille cloth on the top end, it was just stapled to the front edges and hardwood "screen door" trim was bradded over its stapled edges!

------------------

I just told you....it is JUST grille cloth with trim over edges of it....not a grille panel...never has been anything other than that...factory can do it or you can do it yourself...pretty simple

------------------

the AL network is esentially the same as the AK network except for the woofer choke and mounting scheme. from my experience, the AA and AL networks can be sonically improved by upgrading the caps and the mid choke to premium quailty equivalents.

I've changed out the caps on both and heard what I thought to be a *pleasing alternative*.

Sorry Builder,

I have 2 La Scala grille kits from Klipsch. They are a removable fiberboard panel covered with Heritage cloth and held onto the cabinet with Velcro. The full kit includes 4 pieces of birch quarter-round to be placed around the edges of the HF horn section. I ended up with 2 because I decided to change the finish color of my rear pair.

John

Well, John...I guess I stand corrected...they came out with those alot later than 1983, then....cause up until at least then, there was no fiberboard panel, cloth was stapled to the front and they just covered over the staples on edges with screen-door trim, not quarter round...I never cared much for grilles on em anyway....and apparently neither did many of the customers...cause they were very seldom ordered that way!...Not even for use in churches and such!

Once, around 1982, I routed out a couple of masonite panels in the LaScala front router form...they were afterwards cut down in outside dimensions so that one of the employees could have some grille cloth panels for her LaScalas after we installed some half-round trim on em up top...but that was a special case...and employees often had special jobs done on their speakers!!

I do remember Engineer Jim wandering about the plant shortly before I left in 83 with some routed panels and some trim molding, and talking about a "kit" for LaScalas, though...I guess that project finally came to fruition, then.

But if Grilles are what floats yer boat, folks, then go for it...matter of fact...once or twice I have seen LaScalas built with grille cloth covering the entire front...looked silly to me...but if the customer wanted it, they got it! It isn't like there are any cone speakers up front that need protection, or anything, though.

I guess they changed to quarter round when they finally came up with some grille cloth panels for LaScalas...before that it was just stapled-on cloth with screen-door trim over the edges...the company never needed the panels for lascalas in those days...because they were seldom ordered with grille cloth...just like on the old flush-front-style decorator Heresys and Cornwalls made prior to 1978.

I like speakers that look like speakers, myself...where you can see the horn lens mouths and woofers doing their jobs...with no muffling, however slight, from cloth in front of them! Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-09-2002 at 08:02 AM