Little help on table tuba long style

The Dude

Heres a link to what I have built. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/TT.html

I could post this in the forum over there but I really don't see a appropriate spot for it. So I call upon the woofer guys here for advice or what the issue is or maybe nothings wrong at all. First I tested the woofer in the baffle before installing the baffle no cone or surround slap at all, which I know there still isn't. But there is air port on the back of the driver were air is coming from and smacking the wood behind the driver causing a air slap sound.

Here is the driver I used which in recommended via the plans. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-202&FTR=dayton%20dcs255-4. any thing would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it will go away once the opening is pushed up against the wall.

Thanks

Duder

and yes this thing shakes my basement in poor placement I cant wait to get my basement finished so I can properly get this place to really see how it does, I just need to figure out the air slapping sound.

Maybe it will go away once the opening is pushed up against the wall.

To a degree yes, but have you thoroughly checked for air leaks?

I truly respect the TT. Absolutely floors me every time I get a chance to listen to the one my father and I built for his HT. There have been times I wish I could've kept it for my place instead. [:P]

It sounds like you may have over excursion or clipping. What cut off frequencies are you using and what are you driving it with (how many watts)?

I also recommend asking Bill. As long as it's built right, he should be able to figure this out.

I see you are using a vented woofer. I hadn't ever used one of those before.

Posted on Bills site he replyed it was normal, and should go away when placed against a wall. If it doesnt then to glue a piece of 1/2" felt carpet padding should take care of it.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I get to try it out at my buddys place since his basement is finished, and he has the proper amp with crossover filters. Right now I am just running 20-25hz test tones through it.

With 20-25Hz test tones.............you probably can barely hear any sound, it's mostly feel at those very low frequencies. The air rush from the woofer is probably a higher pitch easily heard. Plus, at those very low frequencies you are probably moving that woofer quite a lot.

On my Klipsch bass and sub cabinets............the woofers basically don't move.

On my Klipsch bass and sub cabinets............the woofers basically don't move.

Show off! [;)] Would love to drop in for a listen, but as they say... 'Ya can't get there from here..."Really, really want to hear some MWMs. I'm envious of you and DTEL.

Bruce

I hope your problem resolves itself when the sub is placed properly. Having built a tuba table and Cinema F-20 subs, I know what an air leak sounds like [:$] . It really is a hissing noise that becomes more apparent as the sub goes lower. On the tuba table I had it around the driver, the Cinema F-20 was along one of the side panels. In both cases it was a easy fix with caulk, though do a little research if you wind up using caulk near the driver. Some caulks will react with the driver material, though at this point I can't remember which is the good kind. I would love to hear your sub compared to the Cinema F-20, I seriously considered making the long tuba instead. I ended up going with the Cinema because it is easier to build, and its larger footprint didn't matter where I placed it.

Mark I think you hit it on the nose, I was able to take the woofer over to my buddies house which has a finsihed basement. I stuck it into the corner of his 30x15 or bigger room and hooked it up to his plate amp running his 2 10" inwalls, yes I disconnected them by the way. Anyways all I can say is now I need to start a different thread on how to properly secure all my vents, registers, and drywall to keep them from rattling. I noticed everything in his basement was rattling and that could be a bit annoying if you know what I mean. No air slap from the woofer either.