Tweeter Diaphragm Replacement Pictures

TPD

TPD,

Thank you very much Sir! You gave me courage to tear apart a K-55-V that I recently acquired. It had white mineral build up in the screen, looked like it been left a little too close to the bathtub or something. Got to looking closely, I could see a hunk of the white stuff loose, flopping around in there.

Emboldened by your demo, I tore it down, unsoldered the diaphragm, lo and behold: the area around the phase plug (I believe it's called) was plugged with the stuff. Very little on the front of the diaphragm, though. Whisked it off the diaphragm with a soft paintbrush, cleaned out the plug area with a brass brush with some high pressure air, and back together with it. Coolness. The two halves of it are located by long dowel pins, can't hardly get it wrong. The pins guide the halves together while assembling so the voice coil doesn't get smashed. It's not very big.

Fire it up tomorrow in one of my Heresy's, they're about to lose their virginity. Untouched since I bought them new in Spring '78.

Thanks again for posting.

Tom BTW, did see ATLAS cast into the inner housing.

BTW...

I think I've also figured out why there is a ~$50 price difference in the diaphragm you get from EV and the one you get from Klipsch...

From a conversation that I had with Trey Cannon, I realized that what Klipsch sells you is the ENTIRE diaphragm assembly. Not just the diaphragm itself. The diaphragm assembly is the round black part, into which fits the diaphragm itself. If you replace it the Klipsch way, you don't have to solder in the diaphragm, you just have to knock the horn off the old diaphragm assembly, put the 3 parts back together, then solder the wires on to the new assembly. (with a few gaskets and screens thrown in for good measure...)

The thing to remember (if you buy just the diaphragm) is to make sure you have the red line on the replacement diaphragm (which indicates the location of the "return wire") to line up with the "gap notch". On both of my tweeters, the diaphragm lead which was connected to the "return wire" was soldered to the black post. (as opposed to the red post.)

Does this line up with everyone else's experience?

Thanks again to Trey for the helpful information and the pdf files he sent me.

-TPD

Hello TPD!

I m french, and i would like to know how much this diapragms cost and where did tou buy them...

I have the opportunity to buy some K-77-M for 100$(is it expensive?!)but the diaphragms are brocke.

Best regards,

Fred.

I just helped a friend replace a K-77-M tweeter on his Cornwalls. Not sure where he got the replacement diaphragm but it came complete with the black assembly, making replacement easier as it consist of like what TPD said, just de-soldering the old connections and knocking out the ruined diaphragm assembly.

------------------

My system

Fred,

I got on the EV website and found an "official" distributor of EV speakers... He refered me to the "liscenced" EV repair shop in Dallas, Texas. I called them and they just happened to have the parts I needed in stock... (I'm all about instant gratification!) I paid $22/diaphragm (USD). You can also mail order them from http://www.simplyspeakers.com/12diaphragms.htm

I have no experience with the Klipsch version, but Trey Cannon at Klipsch was very helpful. You might want to drop him a line.

From a price standpoint, I'm going to have to defer to someone else about the value of the K-77-M's.

-TPD

This message has been edited by TPD on 06-05-2002 at 10:16 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Freud:

Thank you very much for the info, TPD...

I ll email them. 22$ the diaphragms?! that sound good to me!...

Best regards,

Freud,

Fred, if you ever need other klipsch pieces, I've got a set of K55V drivers and also k400 horns i'd like to sell. I also have a pair of "false" klipschorn bass-bins. I live in Belgium. Spoke english here so that everybody can read but you can mail me in french of course!

Franois

• 2 years later...