Cornwall to Cornscala?

Guest David H

Guest David H

Those look amazing.

How much work do you think it would be to make the seam around the eliptrac dissapear. I think it would be worth it.

This is where you go from a good speaker to a great speaker. Using canned crossovers can only get you so far. Depending on your tastes, the drivers and the room, you can play with the crossover for a very long time. Is it worth it? If you want to squeeze that last 10-15% out of your investment, it is absolutely necessary.

A bit confusing, are you talking about an active crossover?

Dave

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

I had to make a change to the crossover I was using, I changed the LF to a 2nd order because the 15c woofer has response to 2khz.

Here is a rough graph taken on my ipod to show the differences between the 1st and 2nd order.

Dont read to deep into this graph, it uses a diy mic on a Ipod touch , this setup will show obvious flaws but is not overly accurate.

Measurements taken in room.

post-24405-13819739415824_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819770079674_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819797202122_thumb.jpg

Dave ,

what is the exact measurments to the exposed horn on the 400,

the rectangle's height / width

The demension size that I need is for the opening the horn assy would need to fit in a cabinet & the inside flange as well .

I want to start mapping the layout I need

ThanX Dave ...

The
Cornscala are mine. I’ve used the 15C with great results... The massive
magnet really adds to the bass slam IMHO. The Cornwall cabinet has much
more WAF than my big Cornscala’s did. Ive owned a similar setup with
the HF200 and Eliptrac and loved it… I’m sure the B&C won’t
disappoint. If Dave has some measurements maybe he can put up. I will
say, it’s nice to know it will sound and measure great.I pick these bad boys up this sat night... can’t wait to hear.

So did you get these home yet ?

How do they sound ?

They went to my home. I have a large 20x10 room. They are paired with a DIY pas3 and a solid state chip amp of 50watts. Everyone who has heard them as said just how nice they are. What I love is that they blend into the room better than anyother speaker I've had in it. Sonics are right and WAF is the highest I've had. Big thank to Dave. I've asked for 2 motor boards for his horn and a 15c.... A very simple winning combo. 1 final note.... Yup I now have 3 of Dave's speakers. All amazingly true and musical.

That's great news ! I'm excited to hear back from you, that takes all the doubts outta my mind , I placed an order for some B & C drivers & they come next week . placing a order with Dave to get 5 of the ElipTrac-400 DIY 'ers .

I'm getting the networks from ALK the AP12-500's (order placed there as well ). looking forward to replacing the atlas drivers,PH800 horns & the CT-125 tweets in my current CornScalas ( just like yours they are a modded cornwall cabinets 0.

I'm Jazzed with me getting a 2-way like your system . Stepping up to a 2" driver is a no brainer with Dave's horn just adds to that .

Fastlappy: Dave's speakers replaced a very similar setup. I too had a set of cornscala's with the PH800 horn/ New k55, eminence 15c, Bob Crites tweeters and Bobs crossover. This was an incredibly solid performer. Its single cab, though bigger than a cornwall was still something my wife could accept. The sound really was my reference. I went on to build or own many other types of klipsch speakers. Including La Scala's, Heresys and split cornwalls with K401 horns. Throughout these projects, my reference remained constant... the best mid to high coherence and very good bass. My Reference has since been moved to Dave's split Cornwall with his Eplitrac horn and Contrac tweeter and Al's wonderful networks and the Fast lane yield. Between those Id have a hard time picking for best sound... each different, but each its own reference level.

Now his 2way Cornscala exceeds my original reference. Simply its all the good and none of the bad. The highs are clearer on his 3way... but by a fraction. I can run the 3 way as a 2way with a switch Al documents and Dave included and I do like the 2way better then the 3 way run as a 2 way. Probably a preference to the B&C driver over the fatal... but who knows. The 2way is just right and although Id miss my reference speakers, I can live with the 2way much much easier. Size and form seems to matter too in speakers. The smaller size of the cornwall cab is easier to live with than my splits that are 2ft deep.

I was prepared to build these before Dave offered to sell his prototype and Im glad I did. A very easy speaker to enjoy!

I hear Ya on the foot-print issue ,

ThanX Justin clear, consise review . BUT now I'm really wanting get things built ..

your report has me bangin' my head on the wall L O L :)

but I gotta wait till Dave cuts the horn sections, ( i bought the sand paper, paint , sum new tools !)

done up a drawing of the top hat

Al has to build the networks .

Good news is the 5 B & C DE750-16's get here tomorrow ..

Fastlappy: Dave's speakers replaced a very similar setup. I too had a set of cornscala's with the PH800 horn/ New k55, eminence 15c, Bob Crites tweeters and Bobs crossover. This was an incredibly solid performer. Its single cab, though bigger than a cornwall was still something my wife could accept. The sound really was my reference. I went on to build or own many other types of klipsch speakers. Including La Scala's, Heresys and split cornwalls with K401 horns. Throughout these projects, my reference remained constant... the best mid to high coherence and very good bass. My Reference has since been moved to Dave's split Cornwall with his Eplitrac horn and Contrac tweeter and Al's wonderful networks and the Fast lane yield. Between those Id have a hard time picking for best sound... each different, but each its own reference level.
Now his 2way Cornscala exceeds my original reference. Simply its all the good and none of the bad. The highs are clearer on his 3way... but by a fraction. I can run the 3 way as a 2way with a switch Al documents and Dave included and I do like the 2way better then the 3 way run as a 2 way. Probably a preference to the B&C driver over the fatal... but who knows. The 2way is just right and although Id miss my reference speakers, I can live with the 2way much much easier. Size and form seems to matter too in speakers. The smaller size of the cornwall cab is easier to live with than my splits that are 2ft deep.
I was prepared to build these before Dave offered to sell his prototype and Im glad I did. A very easy speaker to enjoy!

Justin, Nice description. I would have to agree, the Eliptrac / B&C combo is a step up from the Faital combo. (both good, just prefer the B&C)

I wish I had gone over to hear your new Cornscala's, just been too busy. Dave tells me they sounded very good with the modified crossover.

Craig 73

I pulled the backs, and wow, what a pristine pair of Cornwalls. Square magnet K-33's, solder lug K-55's and square magnet K-77's.

I also found the type B crossover interesting, it's a white label, first time I have see one.

I have a pair of Cornwalls we purchased new in 1979 that just like this one. White letters and all the drives and C/O are the same. I can't make out the #s stamped on the top. Mine are 19T906/907 1979 .I have Crites new Type B C/O now.