Cornwall to Cornscala?

Guest David H

Guest David H

I recently picked up a nice pair of Cornwalls to upgrade.

I have always loved the sound of Cornwalls, especially with Cornscala mods.

My original plan was to simply install a pair of my Fastrac Cornwall mid-horns, but I recently aquired a pair of B&C DE-85TN mid drivers for use with my Eliptracs. What I found was the B&C driver is so narrow being a true 2"driver that it fit inside a Cornwall cabinet.

Now my issue is Where to mount the Eliptrac? Mount it high and use it as a 2-way? Or keep it 3-way mounted low? Or????

Here is a pic of the Corns to be modded.

post-24405-13819738453234_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819769111324_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819796171986_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would mount it low to retain the option of using the tweeter if wanted/needed, and to allow for better integration of the wavefront with the horn and woofer at close listening distances.

Just my two cents... [*-)]

Bruce

Hi Dave

One other option is to build a separate box for the eliptrac

and leave the Cornwall untouched.

That way you can sell the Cornwall

as a Cornwall or with the added box.

It also gets the high frequency up at the Klipschorn height and closer to ear

level when you are sitting. If it that does not work for you, than you can still install

the eliptrac at a later date in the Cornwall

and you are only out the material for the box and the labor to build it. Just

another way of looking at it I suppose.

Guest David H

Leave it stock? Sorry that is not my style...[6] I will however make a drop in plate so the original horn can be re-installed should someone desire to have the original horn.[:S]

Dave

Leave it stock? Sorry that is not my style...Devil I will however make a drop in plate so the original horn can be re-installed should someone desire to have the original horn.Tongue Tied

Dave

Hi Dave

It's your topic, your Cornwalls, your time and please do as you like. You asked for opinions so I gave mine. You have helped me and I respect your ability to pull off a nice mod. I just like the high frequency a bit higher than my privates. Anyway I thought a drawing would help so I hacked the hack or the one that Jim E started

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/50919.aspx

and here is the result. It's not for everyone and I have not built the top yet but I draw things first (or at least hack them out) and if I like it, I usually put them to paper full size,

post-42841-13819738471828_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819769131122_thumb.jpg

post-42841-13819796192914_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I pulled the backs, and wow, what a pristine pair of Cornwalls. Square magnet K-33's, solder lug K-55's and square magnet K-77's.

I also found the type B crossover interesting, it's a white label, first time I have see one.

post-24405-13819738474452_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819769133642_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819796196054_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Close-up

There is actually quite a bit more usable room, as the Eliptrac will be flush mounted wher the K-600 is rear mounted.

post-24405-13819738479162_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819769138796_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819796201698_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Hi Dave

It's your topic, your Cornwalls, your time and please do as you like. You asked for opinions so I gave mine. You have helped me and I respect your ability to pull off a nice mod. I just like the high frequency a bit higher than my privates. Anyway I thought a drawing would help so I hacked the hack or the one that Jim E started

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/50919.aspx

and here is the result. It's not for everyone and I have not built the top yet but I draw things first (or at least hack them out) and if I like it, I usually put them to paper full size,

I am pleased you chimed in, and you drawing looks great.

My interest in this project was to see if the Eliptrac would integrate nicely into an original Cornwall, and it's obvious that it's simple installation.

Dave

My interest in this project was to see if the Eliptrac would integrate nicely into an original Cornwall, and it's obvious that it's simple installation.

so a natural evolution question....when do we see a Hersey version??

Guest David H

You are building a new motorboard.

No, I am using the original motorboard, no need to replace it as there is plenty of room.

Dave