which Deoxit to use?

Daddy Dee

As I recall we had the 100% version in our electronics shop in the military and kept it under lock and key. So you know that stuff was good. Hard to pay $20+ for a can of spray though. Here at the house I have some LPS contact cleaner and it seems to work good.

Dee,

I have used with great success...D5 for a cleaner and followed up with DeOXit Gold...I don't know if the gold is required but I believe this product is better than all the rest (I had tried electronic contact cleaner and it only worked a short time)...

I have found this product reasonably priced at Radio Shack and Fryes if you have either of those near you...

Bill

Dee,

Do a search or contact Groomlakearea51 or HarryO but Harry's not very active on Forum. Marshall has great recommendations on the Caig products. Harry recommended some less expensive cleaner that is also avaialble to Fry's. Radio Shack is hit and miss. Local RS didn't know what I was talking about a few years ago. I think last time they at least had some cleaner. Fry's in Indy / Fischers IN has quite a bit in stock.

The 100% I think to be used after cleaning to keep the oxidation at bay. It's amazing what a bit of cleaner can do. Cleabner may be 5% pro gold or de-oxit.

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

edit p.s. I think all avaiable direct from Caig and Parts Express I think stocks most. Pro Gold I think is just branding of the Caig De-Oxit products and may be same stuff, or different strength. I've no idea. I'ff I remember I'll try to find PM or email from Marshall as to his recommendations. Or Harry's. When I get home from work and remember to look for it.

Great stuff.

I once had an audiophile from Japan over to listen to my setup (after I had listened to his $$$$$ setup while he was here in the States). I had just finished using DeoxIT on all the right channel connections. After listening for a while he commented "The right channel seems a little bit clearer". This was a totally unsolicited and blind comment as I hadn't even mentioned it. I would say that is enough proof positive evidence that the stuff works.

And just for the record, after the listening session at my place he went home and listened to his $$$$$ system and then emailed me. He said "I hate my system now. It sounds so distorted, like looking though a telescope."

Which product or combination of products you should use kind of depends on a number of factors. Here's link to Caig's recommendation:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.279/.f

getting ready to order some deoxit to clean a nasty volum pot. any recommendations as to which would be most suitable? Looks like there's the plain jane, 5%, 100%??? and gold?

De-oxit isn't the only Caig product to consider. I've used the following on hundreds of antique radio and vintage amp/preamp pots (carbon type) with truly excellent results:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

Be sure not to over treat the control. If, at most, 2 treatments don't cure the problem you either need to replace the control, or disassemble it and do a manual internal cleaning (which does not always work.) In some cases, even a tiny drop of general purpose oil where the shaft meets the retaining ring can provide relief from scratchiness.