Man-Cave Setup

Cody_Mack

This may belong in the Architectural forum. I would also like to put in the 2-Channel forum cause I know there are many knowledgeable folks that frequent that forum. Anyhow, since the preference in this post is home theatre I’ll put it here.

A friend has constructed his man cave on the second floor of his house and is starting to build up the fixtures, seating, and of course the entertainment components. Above the front and rear wall is a recessed area about 26” tall and 48” deep. The room is approx. 22’ wide, 21’ deep and 10’ floor to ceiling in the middle. I will attach some pics in the next few posts. His sound quality priority is for movies, then music. He has begun with a Yamaha RX-V567 receiver and Klipsch Quintet surround system. He also has the Klipsch SW-450 sub. He wants to upgrade to a ‘bigger’ sound.

In one of the photos you can see the front Quintets above the wall in the recessed space. Presently he is thinking of upgrading to some decent tower speakers and placing them on their side in the recessed area. He is presently looking at the Infinity P-363 towers which he has found on sale at Fry’s. He strongly prefers to keep the front wall next to the TV clean to save floor space. I am suggesting that if he goes with towers that they should go on the front wall, but if he must use the recessed space above maybe he should go with a good quality bookshelf speaker, angled down toward the listening area. And also do the same in the rear.

Questions to all you techies in this area:

· What general setup would you recommend for this room?

· Will the overhead recessed area cause unusual sonic artifacts or will it actually be beneficial to the sound?

· What type speakers would work best in the overhead recessed area?

· What is the optimum location for the sub?

· He has not yet settled on a budget, so go easy on him [H]

· Maybe suggest a high-end system to be built over time to be easier on the wallet but provide ultimate satisfaction in the end.

post-23070-13819740992846_thumb.jpg

post-23070-13819771638138_thumb.jpg

post-23070-13819798861182_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking room but also very challenging.

He might consider recessing some towers into the wall on both sides of the tv if there is space behind the wall. For the recessed area at the top, a false wall made from acoustical panels might be the ticket

just my .02

Is that TV staying there as it is? Where's the center channel going? If he's that concerned about floor space (which seems strange if he's keeping his TV and AV stand up there), this might be an instance where a quality set of in-walls would be appropriate. I would think that as long as he uses a decent subwoofer, it would still sound better than shoving Klipsch towers (which would have the wrong dispersion pattern tipped on their side) or bookshelves way up there (that's nine feet up!) or into the wall, where you'd be restricted to front ported speakers (RB-61, RB-81, KL-650, F-20, F-30) and no toe-in. It would also keep the front three at least semi-close to the same vertical plane, where as the front soundstage would sound really bizarre with the center down with the TV and the LR basically tucked into the ceiling...

• Moderators

Definitely a great looking room, very nice size too. I would do some serious research before recessing the towers in the wall. IMO, it changes the whold dynamic of the speaker (not for the better). My RF-83's are behinda false wall and I can attest they sound so much better when they are pulled out in front of the false wall. Just my .02 (in today's economy that isn't worth very much [:P])

• Moderators

Sorry, I saw the post on my phone and didn't read the original post. IMO, I do not think having any speakers up that high is ideal. I realize we all have limitations that we have to work within. If you absolutely cannot put floorstanding speakers along the front wall, maybe inwalls would be a better fit. I've never been a big fan of inwalls but that's just me.

Also, let's get your friend hookup up with some great sounding Klipsch speakers. Check out this set - Link The RF-3's would be around his budget and they are excellent speakers at very affordable prices. You can typically get a pair for around $300 which would be less than the Infinity speakers and it has 8" drivers as opposed to 6.5" drivers.

Just some things to think about. I added some RF-3's to his room. Maybe after he sees them, it will grow on him. [:D]

post-27215-13819741010054_thumb.jpg

post-27215-13819771653958_thumb.jpg

post-27215-138197988784_thumb.jpg

The room is almost square, which makes it hard to make things sound good. Be sure the seating area is about 2/3 of the way back in the room away from the speakers. Get some acoustic panels or something on the walls as well as some bass traps in the corners. Re-run Audyssey (if he has it) after that's been done.

The room is almost square, which makes it hard to make things sound good. Be sure the seating area is about 2/3 of the way back in the room away from the speakers. Get some acoustic panels or something on the walls as well as some bass traps in the corners. Re-run Audyssey (if he has it) after that's been done.

Yep, really bad dimensions for sound. I would probably fill the recesses completely full of bass trapping material.

You are pushing one of the basic rules. If you want big sound, you'll need some big loudspeakers and the power to drive them. That room is a big space, it will take a pretty good system to fill it. If it was me, I'd get a pair of LaScalas, two 18 inch subs and about a kilowatt of power. You could stack another pair of LaScalas for a little more impact. Of course there are 100 different combinations that will do the same thing but the little Quintets are not going to fill this space. You have a Ferrari room and you have a Briggs and Stratton in the engine bay. It's time to step up and pay.

• Moderators

You are pushing one of the basic rules. If you want big sound, you'll need some big loudspeakers and the power to drive them. That room is a big space, it will take a pretty good system to fill it. If it was me, I'd get a pair of LaScalas, two 18 inch subs and about a kilowatt of power. You could stack another pair of LaScalas for a little more impact. Of course there are 100 different combinations that will do the same thing but the little Quintets are not going to fill this space. You have a Ferrari room and you have a Briggs and Stratton in the engine bay. It's time to step up and pay.

I agree, bigger speakers for that room. For something on the small side, 5 LaScalas and a big sub or two for a 5.1 start.

But I am biased, I like big speakers barely trying compared to smaller speakers being pushed hard. [:P]

Great comments everyone; about what I expected. So most

agree the recessed area may well introduce unwanted artifacts and do havoc with

the bass. Another good point is that the LCR really should be on or near the

same vertical plane.

He is watching the thread and we definitely got his

attention. He is not saying much but he did send a text and said “Looks like I gotta

rebuild the room!” Well I don’t think it is that drastic but perhaps he can get

there with some room treatments. Now I’ve gotta try to get him on board with

some Klipsch Reference or Heritage speakers.

Another scenario; what do y’all think about rotating the

setup 90 degrees, where the front stage is on the solid wall?

Rick

• Moderators

Another scenario; what do y’all think about rotating the
setup 90 degrees, where the front stage is on the solid wall?

That might not be a bad idea, something to look at ?

No way don't rebuild the room, just now is the time to think about how everything is going to be arranged. If the room ends up with those lofts in the front and rear maby something to absorb strange sound waves on the floors and maby back wall in the lofts, just so they don't create strange echoes, but it might not be a problem ?

I really like the room, wish these were my problems, I would love to have a room like that, most people would.

I don't know about IB subs, but would that work in the front loft area ? That would get the sub out of the way and also sound great ?

Yeah there is no reason to be rash and gut the room. It's good to remember where you posted this question. This is a group of very enthusiastic (okay, slightly obsessive) people who strive for amazing sound, often to somewhat impractical extremes. And I don't mean this as a slight in any way. He's got a beautiful room, and not everybody needs speakers the size of a refridgerator and 2000 watts of power. However, what needs to be nailed down is his expectations. What would be considered great sound by 95% of people can easily be accomplished in that room, it just depends on his expectations. One goal this is very hard to achieve is great sound with minimal footprint (not to be confused with minimal size). If he can live with a pair of standmounts or floorstanders in the usual front location, and probably some sound treatment (if nowhere else, at least up in the lofts, which look awesome but will definitely echo and play with the bass frequencies), that room will rock. I'm with dtel, I'd kill for that room, and I used to be a system integrator...

Would like to hear some expert comments on IB subs in the loft area.

Rick

If he has room to waste the back wave then do it. I went from dual SVS's to an IB and never looked back. Be sure the IB is on the same wall as the mains. It would be a waste however with his current speakers.