Question for you sub people

dtel

• Moderators

OK well I guess I thought about it a couple of days more than I should have, I went to order and it's no longer for sale, discontinued. [:@]

I sent an email just to make sure they didn't have a couple laying around, but no, sold out. There will be a XDA-2 hopefully available around the holidays that will have some improvements. It will have a analog volume control and 24/192 USB connection and a headphone jack. And hopefully to be released at $399, was what was said in the email.

Well I now have more time to figure out what I want to do.

If you still want a XDA-1 watch the For Sale area (The Emporium) on the Emotiva forum. They show up there fairly often at $150 to $200.

I just went and looked and 2 of them have been offered and sold in the last couple of days. They seem to sell pretty quickly there.

dtel,

Are you wanting to have two separate line sources going into a single amp? You could use a simple (and I mean SIMPLE) passive line level summing mixer. Drawback is it will cut the gain slightly for the inputs and have teh possiblility of slight interaction between the two sources.

I'll post a schematic... I would say I'd build you one to try, but I've made made too many promises to folks already. If you are only feeding two stereo sources, it could be done for five dollars. Wouldn't even really need a case. I would be like using a 'Y' cable, but there would be resistors in the circuit.

Bruce

• Moderators

It would need to have a volume control, it would go into a Dx38. The DAC I was looking at can be used as a pre-amp, just a cheaper way than a pre-amp really, I was shocked how much pre-amps cost.

It would only be two sources BR player and satellite box, most of the time it's the BR player used for CD's and DVD's and internet radio, that covers 90% of what we listen to.

Right now it's using the pre-outs from the AVR and works fine, but I thought being separated would make it easier for my wife to turn on and probably sound better also.

I don't know for sure. It only makes sense that doing so wouldn't change the load on the amp.

On the few systems that I've helped set up with high level inputs only I always put the mains on the "A" speaker outs and the sub on the "B" speaker outs.

I have a friend with a Mirage sub that he's not using right now. On the high level side there's only inputs. I may borrow it from him and and see if it changes the load presented to the amp.

HMMM... Now I'm curious.

Had a chance to play with this yet?

• Moderators

I don't know what type of avr you have but, many avr's have some very decent DAC and you may not notice a difference. Separate pre-amps can get pricey.

It's a Yamaha RX-V730, getting a little old now, it has everything but HDMI and the new BR formats for sound.

And your right pre-amps are not cheap at all.

Part of what started this whole thing was thinking the DAC would sound automatically better than the Yamaha, it probably would but there is no guarantee. Also that DAC was on sale for $199, which helped alot.

I love the way it sounds now but it's fun to try to hopefully make things better and it would separate it from the Yamaha.

For now i guess I will keep looking for a used one and if nothing else the new model will be out in a few months, but the price of the new one might not be worth it.

Or in the long run just get a better AVR and hope it sounds good for 2 CH ?