Received my RC-64II today

themrclean

Thanks to the alert last week from Youthman, and the willingness to go look at, demo, and be willing to drop off at a pack and ship store of CARLTHESS, I now have a black RC-64II sitting in my living room. The price I paid was $350 and it cost me just under $150 for "professional" packing and shipping, so for $500 I have a new family member. I use the word "professional" lightly because it was the worst packing job I have ever seen in my life. It showed up where I work around 11am and just seeing that poor beat up box being carried in by the FedEx guy scared me to death.

On the phone with the pack and ship store I explained that it needed at least 2 layers of large bubble if not 3, and then needed to be double boxed with custom made double wall boxes. He assured me that they would do just that. Instead, they half heartedly wrapped most of the speaker with small bubble that they started by taping it directly to the cabinet. They then folded over and taped FedEx bubble envelopes to the bubble and took two 14x14x14" boxes and sandwiched them together for both the inner and outer boxes. I was not able to open and see this until 4pm after work so I worried about this speaker for 5 hours. After unpacking and taking several pictures, my center speaker came out somehow undamaged.

Even though I couldn't see any damage, I still half expected something to be wrong with it as much as it was banged around from Florida to Ohio in that horrible excuse for a box. I unhooked the speaker wires from my Icon XL-23 and popped them in the 64(you gotta love banana clips) and the rest is history. On the same settings the 64 was quite a bit louder than the 23 and had much more oomph to it. The guy with the low voice that does all the previews had never sounded so good. The dialog is so clear and pronounced with this speaker. I can't wait to hear it with my RF-7IIs.

I had them hooked up and listened to them for 3 days before I put them back in the boxes. It was hard to do but they were pretty much sitting in the middle of my living room. I actually have quite a bit of stuff put away that I haven't even used yet waiting for the theater. I have the RF-7IIs, the RC-64II, a Harmony 1100 remote, 18 pop can vending machine, popcorn maker, 26 sheets of 4ft by 10ft by 1 inch thick duct board for sound acoustic panels, wine cooler for the wife...

I will also be stealing from the living room for the theater, then I will have the projector, screen, UMC-1, UPA-2, power distributor, blu ray player, xbox, ps3, and HDDVR.

it cost me just under $150 for "professional" packing and shipping, . I use the word "professional" lightly because it was the worst packing job I have ever seen in my life. It showed up where I work around 11am and just seeing that poor beat up box being carried in by the FedEx guy scared me to death.

After seeing the amazing packing job YOU did on the rt-10d I guess you were horrified!!

Congrats on the RC-64, you'll love it once its set up with your 7's.

What are you eventually going to power it all with? I only see the UPA 2 in your signature along the UMC-1 (same as mine).

I just bought a Acurus A200Five (200 watts x 5) and replaced my old Carver a705 (125 watts x 5) and the difference in the RC64 was much improved.

Thanks again for the pack job on the sub....it's fitting beautifully pulling double duty in HT and 2 channel matched up with Heresy II's and Mac gear !

Enjoy!

We are currently looking for a house. We were in the process of buying a house a while back but the financing fell through after we were already approved because some old medical bills surfaced out of nowhere. It sucked that it fell through because it had a perfect room for the theater right above the garage. So for now we are making due in our little apartment.

Maybe if something happens with your day job, you should go to work for a packaging company. The RT-12d you sold me was packed ridiculously well.

That's actually what I do now, I do custom packing for this place http://boxkingshipping.com/

I've done it for 6 years now and it is a really interesting job. You never have any idea what people might bring in to be shipped. I spent the better half of the day packing a $3500 grandfather clock to be shipped from Ohio to Texas. Those are always a challenge.