My new Denon 4311

Rhino1

I finally got a new denon 4311 to power my klipsch 82 II 5.1 speaker setup. I hooked everything up and ran audyssey, but speakers dont play very loud at all. They do play very clear though, but i was expecting them to play way louder with this receiver. They played alot louder with my old $400 receiver. May need to tweek it a little, but dont know how. if anyone might know what to do i would appreciate any help? I'll be honest I am new to home theater and don't know what to do at all.

The level on each speaker has probably been set lower after running audyssey set up. That's why it sounds less loud at the same volume setting. Mine were set to their lowest (-12) so I just bumped them all up equally. Basically the same result as turning up the volume. Also if your using a sub, set all speakers to small and set your x/o at 80hz. You can raise the crossover higher than audyssey set, but not lower.

Just experiment and find what sounds best to you....

There could be some resonating issues with your sub at a certain frequency, which is causing Audyssey to think that it's a lot louder than it really is, so it's trying to equalize it by bringing everything else down.

I would recommend doing the sub crawl (put the subwoofer where you sit, play something with a lot of bass, and crawl around until you hear the best bass, and put your sub in that position) and then rerunning audyssey and see what it comes up with. I hate to tell someone to go out and spend more money if they don't need to, but if I am right about the sub, and if the sub crawl doesn't do the trick, I would look at getting a few cheap or making yourself a few home made bass absorbers as well.

I don't know what your old receiver was, but you also should keep in mind that not all receivers volume controls work the same way. This would be the case especially if you changed brands. Half volume (-50) on my Pioneer was a lot quieter than half volume on my UMC-1 (40).

I see you pulled the trigger on the 4311, good to hear! How many positions did you run for Audyssey? Messing with Audysseys settings can be detrimental to SQ if you don't know what you are doing. As someone said above, it could just be the difference in the volume settings for this AVR vs your last. I used to turn my Onkyo up to -20 all the time and this one I usually have at -30. Re-run Audyssey for all 8 positions and just turn up the AVR louder if you need to.

Audyssey had all my speakers set around -9 to -7. I went up 5 on each speaker but left sub alone and that made a huge difference in loudness. Guess I learned something already but still have alot to go. Thanks guys for helping.

Those levels don't look outta the ordinary and I am curious what the Main Volume was on movies before you bumped up the speakers by 5 dB? Also, what is the sub's trim level at?

I would only start hearing sounds at about -30 but until i got there it was like on mute. My sub is on -3.5. I called denon and they talked me through it. They are the ones that told me to go up 5 on each speaker. My system sounds great now!!!! I also just upgraded my center channel from a 52II to a 62II and it sounds wonderful.