Recommendations for a Klipsch speaker 2.1 music set-up?

StratCountry

Hey, everyone, enjoying this forum.

I hope this information will be of some help;

My budget will have to be $700-$900

My music environment: room size 15’ x 17’, ceiling height is 8’, walls & ceiling are sheet rocked, carpeted floor, cushioned cloth furniture, 40” side entrance to kitchen rear of the room

AVR is a recently purchased Marantz SR-18, “produces beautiful sound quality”, low-end decent Philips CD player, BSR EQ-3000 I purchased new in the 80’s

My music genre is, (sorry), Country from 80’s, 90’s, early 2000 & old time rock & roll

Currently, I am considering Klipsch RB-61 II, which can be bought new for $400 includes shipping, Klipsch RW12 D subwoofer, right now new, including shipping for $300

I am quite open to unbeaten used Klipsch speakers, reference series

When I purchase new A/V equipment, generally, I’m in it for the long haul, 10+ years

Right now, I’m selling my audio components I purchased from way back, all treated with respect

I honestly forgot what seriously good music sounded like, until I recently dug out my DBX Soundfield V speakers out of storage, that I purchased new somewhere in the 80’s, plugged them in into my Marantz. While listening to a box full of Cds that I haven’t done in years, I would hear some tracks that gave me goose bumps because the sound quality was such a blessing to my ears. Now, that I have broken away from those inferior music downloads including listening to music in mp3 format for so many years, I have once again learned to appreciate original recordings as long as they been decently recorded from the source.

(I apologize for my grammar).

Even though, my ribbon tweeters just went out a couple of weeks ago after listening to these DBX’s over summer, getting my speaker upgrade right now, would be nice, but I need time to raise the cash, even if it takes a few months. In the meantime, I’ll keep reading all the great comments & reviews about the Klipsch line of speakers, who knows, maybe I’ll come across a better deal on a 2.1 in the next few months.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks,

Jerome

Stratcountry,

Welcome to the forum.

These will be more than pleasing for your bookshelf speakers part of the equation.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167163.aspx

If you are planning on using something other than your Marantz SR-18 for amplification, I suggest a used NAD integrated amp like the C355BEE or the C372. Both have plenty of power and are very musical.

Bill

Stratcountry, Welcome to the forum. These will be more than pleasing for your bookshelf speakers part of the equation. http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167163.aspx If you are planning on using something other than your Marantz SR-18 for amplification, I suggest a used NAD integrated amp like the C355BEE or the C372. Both have plenty of power and are very musical. Bill

Thanks for your tip, Willland, I'll save this consideration for the future music listening expasion.

Jerome

• Moderators

Currently, I am considering Klipsch RB-61 II, which can be bought new for $400 includes shipping, Klipsch RW12 D subwoofer, right now new, including shipping for $300

I am quite open to unbeaten used Klipsch speakers, reference series

Welcome.......and cool avatar. [Y]

That's a good choice but also look in the garage sale section if something is close to you ?

Also don't rule out used Heritage if you can get a deal on some in your area, where is close to you ?

That's a good choice but also look in the garage sale section if something is close to you ?

Also don't rule out used Heritage if you can get a deal on some in your area, where is close to you ?

______

Thanks, already checked out the garage Sale, I may have missed some. I'll keep the Heritage in mind. Close to me would be around Eau Claire, WI.

Yes, for $400 you can get a pair of Heresy's. Big(ish) bookshelf speakers.

Hey Turbox, appreciate the find. I have more than enough room for these original style speakers that I grew up with, in fact, I prefer the old school speakers with 12" woofers. I'm a bit concerned about the age of these early Klipsch speakers, not knowing how much life would be left in the drivers.

The newer 12" driver speakers of today are way out of my price league. I know it doesn't hurt to dream.

Thanks,

Jerome

not knowing how much life would be left in the drivers.

I wouldnt worry about that to much, you'll have a chance to hear them before you buy. These will last a lifetime if they are taken care of.

you'll be alot happier with the Heresy i think. I bought Heresy's back in 98, they look brand new when you take the grill off. they have been well taken care of.

I wouldnt worry about that to much, you'll have a chance to hear them before you buy. These will last a lifetime if they are taken care of. you'll be alot happier with the Heresy i think. I bought Heresy's back in 98, they look brand new when you take the grill off. they have been well taken care of.

I guess my main concern about purchasing older/vintage speakers is the condition of the driver surrounds & the electronics within, cosmetic condition is no issue with me as long as they sound like they should & hold out for another 10+ years.

I wouldnt worry about that to much, you'll have a chance to hear them before you buy. These will last a lifetime if they are taken care of. you'll be alot happier with the Heresy i think. I bought Heresy's back in 98, they look brand new when you take the grill off. they have been well taken care of.

I guess my main concern about purchasing older/vintage speakers is the condition of the driver surrounds & the electronics within, cosmetic condition is no issue with me as long as they sound like they should & hold out for another 10+ years.

I wouldn't worry to much about older or vintage klipsch speakers, they are bulletproof... Some have been in serevice for over 50 yrs and with a simple cap replacement sound as good as the day they left the factory, as long as they the cabs are sealed properly. I bought a pair of 30 yr old Cornwall 1.5's that were in a frat house. They were so beat up, I wouldn't have even put them in my garage. I couldn't imagine what they went through, all the horn drivers had R's on them for replacement under warranty I assume. They sounded incredible!!!! Plus klipsch parts are very inexpensive on the used market unless they are rare pieces... Also klipsch heritage surrounds dont rot like other speakers, it is a different material..

I wouldn't worry to much about older or vintage klipsch speakers, they are bulletproof... Some have been in serevice for over 50 yrs and with a simple cap replacement sound as good as the day they left the factory, as long as they the cabs are sealed properly. Plus klipsch parts are very inexpensive on the used market unless they are rare pieces... Also klipsch heritage surrounds dont rot like other speakers, it is a different material..

Awesome, that was, I was hoping to hear. Knowing this about Klipsch speakers being bullet proof opens up a new direction for me, the one I wanted to take when I begun my search for a different pair or set of speakers (2.1). Like i mentioned on my earlier post, I prefer full size speakers with 12" bass drivers, I have never owned or even listened to bookshelf speakers, afraid these would sound too thin, pretty much used to 12" & 15' speakers.

Juniper8, you mentioned: "klipsch heritage surrounds dont rot like other speakers, it is a different material.." Is this true with all Klipsch speaker models/series?

I understand sealed enclosure speakers is preferred over ported speaker when it comes to listening to music only, any truth to this?

I have to be honest here, i havent really given much chance to anything other than Hertiage and now the Cinema line. Its all about the horns for me. With "bookshelf" speakers, they are just that, not really meant for a big sound stage. It depends on what you want, and by the sounds of it Bookshelf isnt going to cut it for you. I bought my first set of Cornwalls in 1988, and just sold them 2 years ago. With Hertiage, you cant go wrong.

I've heard alot of good things about the Reference line, but can not attest to anything. i have not heard them.

If you could afford and have space get the Cornwall II's hands down, if not then get the Chorus II's or Forte II's, i'd go with all of these over the Heresy's for sure because of the Lower end. With all that said, if i were you, i'd stick with the Hertiage line for sure. they just dont make them like they used to...

my 2 cents...

I understand sealed enclosure speakers is preferred over ported speaker when it comes to listening to music only, any truth to this?

Not sure where you heard this, but i cant say thats true... Some of Klipsch's best speakers are ported, and also not ported. Its all in the design.

Juniper8, you mentioned: "klipsch heritage surrounds dont rot like other speakers, it is a different material.." Is this true with all Klipsch speaker models/series?

Probably not.