Strange Question....

germerikan

Any Librarians in da house??

One of my friends wife is a Librarian here in Germany and they are looking for an up to date book concerning the history of the USA, in English of course. If there is any reference work it would be nice to be pointed to it if possible with the IBAN number.

Even if you are not a Librarian, any tips??

Any Librarians in da house??

One of my friends wife is a Librarian here in Germany and they are looking for an up to date book concerning the history of the USA, in English of course. If there is any reference work it would be nice to be pointed to it if possible with the IBAN number.

Even if you are not a Librarian, any tips??

"- Up to date - " ???? As in recent contemporary information or in more detailed and accurate research about historical events? I'd surmise that there is no single text to suffice in either regard. Rather, an entire library section should be set aside, to include the internet for up-to-the minute information.

I'm ignorant of actual academic works. Particularly covering the centuries.

However, let me recommend the works of William Manchester for narrow times and subjects.

"The Glory and the Dream" is a narrative history from 1932 to 1972. More than excellent. Wonderful.

"Goodby Darkness" is about WWII in the South Pacific.

"Death of a President" I have not read. but gets excellent reviews.

Books by Eric Larson are excellent for slices of the times.

"Issac's Storm"

"Devil in the White City."

WMcD

Which version would she be interested in? Republican, Tea, or Democratic party version?

It would be better if a German would write the history which would give us an un-biased view.

JJK

I know, it is all about who is writing the information.

So true, I can remember studying American history in school in Britain, and have since been surprised by discrepancies i have come across. I'm not saying who got it wrong, just that it obviously was.

Thanks for the replys guys!!! To further the info:

"History up to the "Modern Times". But also reworks on the Civil War and the move into the Western Frontier.

3 or 4 different volumes would be nice.

Thanks WMcD, I will forward your suggestions. There are thousands out there and narowing it down is hard....

Which version would she be interested in? Republican, Tea, or Democratic party version?

It would be better if a German would write the history which would give us an un-biased view.

JJK

I know, it is all about who is writing the information.

So true, I can remember studying American history in school in Britain, and have since been surprised by discrepancies i have come across. I'm not saying who got it wrong, just that it obviously was.

I know what you mean, my view of Germany was also different and very thin on information until I got here. One of the interesting things I have read since I have been here is a reprint of the actual newspapers from the pre-Nazi times. The propaganda would not work today but due to the articles I have read it is interesting to see how the Germans got pushed into the war and the Nazi cause.

When I first came here my American views were of "Lederhosen" and Maßbier. Things have changed...